Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I think my 14 month old is add...

amother

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:17 pm
Can you tell so early? I have brothers with add.
My 14 month old daughter does not have an attention span. During therapy for a different issue- she can't focus on one toy for longer than 30 seconds before she's going off for a different toy. She also can not lie down with her bottle for longer than 30 seconds unless she's in her crib otherwise she's up every 30 seconds eventhough she's hungry and is crying for her bottle.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:23 pm
shes 14 months old- what do expect from her?

from:http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/ast_oneadhd-children
"Know that it is very difficult to diagnose ADHD in children younger than 5 years of age. That's because many preschool children have some ADHD symptoms in various situations. In addition, children change very rapidly during the preschool years. It is also difficult to diagnose ADHD once a child becomes a teenager."

"Some parents notice signs of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity in their kids before they even start school. The child may not be able to sit still for very long or pay attention to games or television. But just because a parent thinks their child shows signs of ADHD does not mean that they have the disorder. Because children develop and grow at very different rates, it is crucial to get a professional's opinion of the child's growth and behavior. You may want to wait until the child enters school to definitely diagnose the disorder."

rachel6543

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:50 pm
I'm not an expert on this topic, but I was recently speaking to my son's pediatrician about ADHD and she said they CANNOT diagnosis it before a child is 5 years old. If you have concerns about your child's behavior, I would definitely bring it up with your child's doctor.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 3:20 pm
She may be, she may not be. I work with infants and children, and I can tell you that certain toddlers jump out at me as more likely candidates for a diagnosis of ADHD down the line. At any rate, she can't be diagnosed at this age, so the goal is to help her develop as you would any other child, and provide therapeutic services as needed.

cking

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 6:15 pm
I have several children with ADHD (ie they have been diagnosed by a professional) and I can tell you that I saw signs of the disorder when they were babies. I now have a son who is turning one, and although I obviously can't tell 100%, I would bet that he has ADHD. There are signs and symptoms even in very young children. I agree that you can't "officially" diagnose a child until they are older. But I would start getting help for your child as early as possible. It can't hurt, and could definitely help.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 6:27 pm
My 2 year old son was just diagnosed by a neuroligist that he has adhd. He is a diffrent person now that we are treating him.

MrsDuby

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 1:30 am
I'm curious to know how the above Amother is treating her 2 year old for ADHD? (im not asking to make fun at all... im curious) because thats quite young to start medication, no?

cbt

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 2:40 am
I'm not a professional, just a mom and 14 months old sounds young to diagnose anything but perhaps it's a sensory regulation issue? It can sometimes seem like add and sometimes they go together but it's a different issue that is usually treated by an OT. Again, I don't know if it's something that can be diagnosed so young. ADD/ADHD and sensory integration/regulation issues are usually based on history which is what makes it hard to diagnose someone so young. I have a 7 yo who was only diagnosed this year with ADD (of the inatentive type and not hyperactive) as well as sensory integration disorder. While we probably could not make this diagnosis earlier, looking back there were signs from an early age but they would have meant nothing without seeing a full picture over these 7 years. A very helpful book that I read was the "out-of-sync child" about sensory issues and it briefly talked about add since they are similar and can be mistaken for each other and sometimes even present together. Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 7:41 am
MrsDuby wrote:
I'm curious to know how the above Amother is treating her 2 year old for ADHD? (im not asking to make fun at all... im curious) because thats quite young to start medication, no?

you would not want to be near my son without his meds. the doc said it is rare to put him so young on medication but he is dangerously unmanageable. he was on 1/4 mg focilan but wasnt doing well on it now he is on .25 respidral

MrsDuby

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 12:49 pm
oh ok ....
I was thinking maybe it was a special kind of therapy or something.

thanks for clarifying.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 1:01 pm
What is the different issue that she is receiving therapy for?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 3:30 pm
torticollis and reflux that made her have some developmental delays...

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 3:31 pm
Your first step in any case is probably going to be further evaluation. Do you have some kind of EI or developmental pediatric resource?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)