Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Help! DH froze the chicken!

morah

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 5:07 pm
I bought chicken yesterday and put it in the fridge, planning to cook some for Shabbos and freeze the rest. DH, thinking he was being helpful, moved the whole thing to the freezer without telling me. Now, it's 5 pm and I have all this frozen chicken, no way to defrost it, and it has no flavor. Is there anything I can do to salvage this?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 5:20 pm
run it under hot water for a few minutes. cook it on the stovetop, this goes quicker than the oven. if you've never done this before, here's a basically easy thing to do.

take a large pot (soup pot works). heat some oil in the bottom. slice onions, sautee in hot oil for a couple of minutes. place chicken breast side down on top of onions. cover, cook on med/low for approx 1/2 hour. flip chicken over, pour some form of sauce on top. (duck sauce/bbq sauce/italian dressing/ ketchup mixed with jam/anything you have in your pantry) you can also mix water with salt, pepper and paprika and use that.

cook on low/med for another 45 min or so. this should do ok, though you may need a little more time to deal with the frozen aspect. do the fork test to make sure it's done.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 5:42 pm
never run poultry under hot water.

you can run it under cold or microwave to defrost more quickly, but running under hot is asking for food poisoning. I work as a caterer and know that if the health dept. ever caught me defrosting in hot water, I would get shut down so quick my head would spin.

seems to me that once it is possible to split it apart, you can cook it from frozen right to done, either on stove top or in oven. I would cover it and let it brown at the end though. At least that is what I would do.

morah

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 5:46 pm
I would just cook it, but will the flavors penetrate? Also, my microwave is milchig- is there a way to defrost in the oven without cooking it or getting those hot spots?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 6:06 pm
morah wrote:
I would just cook it, but will the flavors penetrate? Also, my microwave is milchig- is there a way to defrost in the oven without cooking it or getting those hot spots?
Bake it as usual. It will just need more time. Make sure to rub generous amount of oil and seasoning all over.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 6:37 pm
you can microwave even in a non kosher microwave as long as the item is double wrapped. my clients do this all the time when they are eating in treif restaurants and they order my kosher meals. I double wrap anything that can be heated in two plastic bags and seal it. technically, you can put one bag opposing the other and leave them unsealed as long as they are facing different directions, but because I work under hashgacha, I seal so that the clients do not have any questions about where it came from. a rotating plate in the mw works best though.

rydys

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 7:19 pm
the fastest way to defrost nearly anything:

put it in a sealed bag and submerge it in cold water (you may need to use a can to hold it under)

run a slow stream of cold water from the sink into the bowl holding it so it is constantly running/overflowing

it will defrost very quickly that way (for info on the physics behind it, google "alton brown" and find one of his shows on defrosting)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey