Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
ISO good bike for a 5 year old

SV

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:00 am
My in-laws gave us money to buy my 5 year old son a bike for his birthday. They were pretty generous so I would like to buy something good that can last (I have another buy a couple of years younger). Any suggestion? I know nothing about bikes - so what company, what size wheels etc. (by the way he still rides with training wheels on his 12 inch bike).

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:04 am
He has a 12" one with training wheels? Can you wait on buying a new one then? Wait for him to outgrow it and then get a 16". He might not fit a 16" one well yet, and chaval to have 2 12" bikes if you can pass this one on down to his brother.

baskrox

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:05 am
My 5 year old DD rides a 16" with training wheels. When she's ready, we will take off the training wheels.

SV

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
He has a 12" one with training wheels? Can you wait on buying a new one then? Wait for him to outgrow it and then get a 16". He might not fit a 16" one well yet, and chaval to have 2 12" bikes if you can pass this one on down to his brother.

Right, I wouldn't be buying another 12'' one. My boys are pretty tall for their ages, so the 3 year old already rides easily on the 12'' bike. I guess we can try to put the 5 year old on a 16'' bike and see how it "fits".

I am mainly looking for suggestions for good brands. I am totally clueless as to where to even start - don't even know which stores to look at.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:32 am
I'm just nervous (based on my experience with my kids) that the 16" might fit in a half year or so but if he has it will want to ride it immediately...and for me, it's very important my sons' feet reach the ground when on the seat. I have a friend who is not makpid on that so she got her 4 year olds 16" so they'd grow into it. But they need a lot of help. Not my speed.

Brands I can't help with. I think she went to Toys R Us.

(I got the 12" from Goodwill brand new -- it was a Target floor model and Target gives them their "leftovers"...so I never did research. Smile)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:35 am
My son had a 16 inch bike at five years and he isn't tall. We had good experience with the company "pony".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains