Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
X-mas decorations for your
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:07 am
read below

Last edited by ny21 on Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:12 am
all my food is pretty clean .
I have chairs in my succa and they glisten and gleam .
I love the colors of x-mas green and red
when the lights go out in my succah --------------
(cant think of somthing to ryhme with red .

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:17 am
when the lights go out in my succah I roll out the bed ...

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:24 am
when the lights go out of my succa it is because they are
dead .

Last edited by ny21 on Mon, Sep 17 2007, 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

yersp

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 3:29 pm
and when the lights go out in the succah..........................enough said.

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 5:11 am
cute !

mugsisme

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 1:21 am
Didn't the Pilgrams base Thanksgiving on Sukkos? At least, that is what I learned somewhere. Because they knew that for use Sukkos was a time of Thanksgiving.

I make a turkey sometimes for the Shabbos after Thanksgiving, but not always. I do eat hot dogs or mac & cheese on Thanksgiving, dafka. (Once, our Chabad rabbi came to our house on Thanksgiving. I forgot where his wife was. We had turkey, and he wouldn't eat it. My mom made him a hot dog instead.)

I don't like the lights because growing up here, I associate them with X-mas. We also don't decorate the sukkah, so that is not a problem for me. My in-laws bought the white ones last year at the day after sale.

Wanna hear something really funny? I once heard a reason why we can't have x-mas like the non jews. Can you imagine the rules we would have? the tree would have to be between this height and that height. The needles would have to droop towards the East. etc. Bahaha, I thought that was so funny when I heard it. Oh, I found it --
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/woolf/xmas.html

Happy Sukkos everyone!
Leah

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 1:47 am
aussiegal wrote:
Along the same line..it's really funny here in Israel when you hear so many chareidi people's cellphones ringing the tune 'jingle bells...' or other non jewish tunes. They of course have no idea that its non-jewish! It's quite funny when I'm standing at the kosel and the yerushalmi lady next to me answers her phone that has just rung with a non jewish tune Smile Smile.

I don't get it. If it's not Jewish... it's non jewish. What's there not to know? [confuzzled]

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 2:10 am
Brooklyn, You didn't know that it's a mitzva to decorate a sukka for sukkos but not any other edifice for any other holiday? Well, yes. So decorating a house on a holiday which coincides with another holiday of a different religion in which houses are also decorated is different than the MITZVA of decorating a sukka.

And churches have pews, not chairs.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:24 am
oy vey oy vey I learnt the hard way. I used to put up these light forgetting that they were cristmas light, untill we had a terrinbe fire 3 years ago in first day succas in the morning. it started by my neighbour, consumed here succa and started to consume ours. those lights were in the electricty and the person from out kehilla who put it out saw it and rushed to disconnect the electricty, we never knew why, but he said that if the fire would have touched it... I don't want to think what could have happened, we were saved by a ness and my sister remnded me of the lights, since that year, I try to decorate the succa in the most Tzanua way possible with out all the non jewish stuff. so no lights by me at all.

btw did you know taht it's very mekubal for kehillas in london to say a special prayer on shabbos for the queen and the parliamen while holding teh sefer torah??!! my father explains tat one has to cus they allow us to stay on their land as jews even though they could throw us out so we need to be thank ful. ps I also read once that eh edict of expulstion was never annulled!!

hila

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:54 am
miriamnechama wrote:

btw did you know taht it's very mekubal for kehillas in london to say a special prayer on shabbos for the queen and the parliamen while holding teh sefer torah??!! my father explains tat one has to cus they allow us to stay on their land as jews even though they could throw us out so we need to be thank ful. ps I also read once that eh edict of expulstion was never annulled!!

brings back memories !!! "he who gives salvation to kings and dominion to princes...... "

Di d you know that whoever wrote that was actually making fun of the British monarchy. He used half psukim. If you look at the other half of each pasuk, it actually says how little we can trust in man and how Hashem gives mlucha and has rule over the world. It is a long time now. but I once heard a talk about that.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:12 am
yeah united synague. here goes, I still have the siddur...

He who give salvation to kings and domintion to prince whose kingdon is an everlasting kingdom my He bless

Our sovreign Lady Queen Elizabeth
Elizabeth the Queen Mother
Phillip Duke of Edinburgh
The prince and Princess of Whales
and all the Royal Family

then I goes on to a whole tefila that I can't be bothered typing up and then they have the prayers for the welfare of the State of Israel. about pecea and t remember the Idf etc. sounds pretty zionistic or maybe not?!!

did you notice taht this prayer the queen mom and diane are no longer living??!!

btw I also remember at yizkor I think on yk or when ever I would take 1/2 cus they read out all the names of idf soldiers kiled during war. I seen it in at least 2 shuls once on london and by my in laws.

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:58 am
in all shuls that are modern orthodox or united synagogue type shuls we say a blessing for the queen because she is the reigning monarch in our land and lets us live in peace here. and its been the same prayer for years which is why its probably not been changed. and yes also for the land of israel and a blessing for the soliders is said in most shuls aswell. it normal here what is the big deal. to al ppl that go to these shuls this is a regular part of their shabbos service.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:06 am
your right I used to go to a u.s. shul as a girl and also in my dad's shul ththe do it he explained to me and I'm with it cus I'm used to it just some may find it funny..... eg is it done in usa or other places??

hila

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:35 am
In the US they have an American flag at teh front of the shul, at least in most of teh ones I went to (NY, Harrisburg, Springfield MA, etc).
I dont remember a union Jack in the English shuls (US) - but I will be there in 3 weeks and can check it out (Sth Hampstead)

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 7:16 am
no union jack

supermama2

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:02 pm
It seems the thread got a little off topic but I'll add my .02 anyway..

Being in the U.S. the colored lights bother me but I do like to use the white golf ball size lights on a string or this year I though the white tubular lights would look cool...The white/clear lights in a plastic tube like string. I'll use other decorations I.e. paper chains and the like for color 8)

Marion

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 5:07 am
There is a Canadian flag at my parents' shul. And yes, they say the Prayer for Israel, the misheberach for the IDF, and the Prayer for the Government & Prime Minister. It includes the Queen, as Canada is a Commonwealth country. But there's nothing funnier than listening to the Prayer for the Government and Queen of England in a shul in Montreal where it's said in French!

smilethere

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 7:54 am
My father always buys the nice shiny chains that go on sale in january - for the next year succos!

supermama2

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 11:47 am
What are the shiny chains?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics