Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Might not have decorations in the Succah with all the rain

isrmss91

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:34 am
At the rate of rain we are having. we are lucky we even have a Succah up,( the boys built it while I was at work on Monday) but we have not a chance to decorate the succah yet Sad . The Succah is throughly soaked and I don't think anything will stick. So sad.

care4u

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:37 am
I feel you!
We had a brief respite on Wednesday and I quickly put up the decorations but they'll probably be ruined.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:43 am
DH put up the Succah walls after work last Friday but didn't have time to do the schach. He managed to put up the schach at least last night even though he's not feeling well. I don't think we'll be able to decorate today with all the rain we're having. It's just going to have to wait until chol hamoed at this point. Sad, but what can you do?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:46 am
Decoration is nice, but it's not the ikkar. Be glad you have the zechus and the means to have your own Sukkah.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:46 am
Same. BH got the schach up yesterday but didn't do lights or decorations. Hoping we'll get lights up if it lessens at some point.

isrmss91

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:49 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Decoration is nice, but it's not the ikkar. Be glad you have the zechus and the means to have your own Sukkah.

Well my panels are pretty old, so the decorations serve a dual purpose, to beautify the mitzvah, and to cover up all the peeling fiberglass.

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:06 am
amother Marigold wrote:
DH put up the Succah walls after work last Friday but didn't have time to do the schach. He managed to put up the schach at least last night even though he's not feeling well. I don't think we'll be able to decorate today with all the rain we're having. It's just going to have to wait until chol hamoed at this point. Sad, but what can you do?

I heard you are not allowed to decorate on chol hamoed but ask your lor

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:09 am
amother Brickred wrote:
I heard you are not allowed to decorate on chol hamoed but ask your lor
why?

cbsp

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:09 am
We BH now have a kosher sukkah with lights. DH and DS finished that right before it started pouring. No decorations, but it's kosher and we'll be able to use it (if it doesn't blow or float away). We do not have an awning or anything to protect it from getting wet inside.

We do have an extra tarp. I'm thinking about duct taping some decorations to it in the house and running out to quickly zip tie it in front of one of the walls - but only when I'm completely done for yontif and only if there's somewhat of a lull in the rain.

Otherwise we'll Bezras HaShem decorate in honor of chol hamoed. I'm hoping we actually get to use the sukkah before chol hamoed!

ETA we've asked about decorating on chol hamoed, definitely done that before...

Last edited by cbsp on Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:10 am
I like it simple, I wasn’t even planning on getting decorations. My kids decided they wanted to get some, but it was raining and didn’t want to go out. This was yesterday. We’ll probably not have any, which is fine with me. I’m a minimalist and I think it looks nicer without, but I do like having the ushpizen up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics