Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
M.A., M.F.A. or P.h.D?

JayZsims

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 6:48 pm
Does anyone have any experience in these matters? I am considering going back to school for a terminal degree in the English field. I would like to teach english and creative writing on a high school or college level and would also like to write. Does anyone have any advice for or against any of these programs?

Toriadore

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 2:54 am
Yup, I have an MFA in Creative Writing.

What specifically would you want to know?

The MFA is more skill based. A lot of workshops. The reading is just to supplement the writing, but not a means to itself.

It's not as difficult because your thesis is a collection of your writing, honed. You don't have to write thesis papers or dissertations or any of the lengthy research and analysis that an MA in English Lit would need to do.

If you're creative and want to write better and teach writing, an MFA is a much quicker and easier route.

When I was in my MFA program, I was also in seminary and working. It's not such an impossible work load that you can't balance other things. You can keep your life.

In my program, (went to Sarah Lawrence), the first year is full time (basically your writing workshop, your craft course, and an elective). I scheduled them all into the same two full days so I would only have to commute twice per week. The second year, I only had a writing workshop and craft course, which I went to only two afternoons per week (after morning sem).

JayZsims

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 5:32 am
Thank you so much for responding. I'm just afraid that an M.F.A is more limiting as far as job opportunities go. I've seen people write that the best route is an M.A. and then an M.F.A because then you have both the broad and the more specific degrees. If you don't mind my asking, what is it that you do?
Also, did you like Sarah Lawrence? I am considering applying there but am not so excited as they only have admissions for the fall semester and I was hoping to be able to begin in January. But I guess it really depends on whether or not I can get my act together soon enough to apply to the earlier programs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics