Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
22 month old has 103.6 fever

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:03 am
My 22 month old son just woke up hot and has a fever of 103.6. I gave him tylenol, but I dont know, is that enough, should I call the dr./take him to the ER? He's not throwing up or having any other symptoms I can think of, 'just' quite high fever.

canadamom

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:12 am
It's scary when a child has high fever. But if he has no other symptoms I would just wait it out. Usually high fever is a virus. Take his temp. in an hour to see if it's going down. Refuah Shelaimah!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:14 am
a bath should bring the fever down, dabing water on him and not wiping it should also bring it down.
definitly call dr, never hesitate. you employ your dr.
that is high fever.
refuah shelaima

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:25 am
Ack, I've just been through this with my DS! He runs high fevers, gets 103-104 sometimes too. These fevers don't freak me out b/c I know my kid, there's no history of febrile seizures B"H. That's the risk with high fevers- though febrile seizures are more about how quickly a fever rises than actually how high it is.
Tepid baths are good if you can get your child in them without the kid freaking out. (My son hit an age where he hates baths now.) The main thing is you don't want the bath too cold b/c that will cause shivering which then increases body temp. So not too hot, not too cold. Then after the bath don't let him get chilled while you are toweling him off, again to avoid shivering.
If you can't get your son in the bath, a tepid washcloth on the forehead, back of the neck, backs of knees, feet, and inner elbows can also help cool off.
Just remember fevers themselves are not an illness, they are the body's response to an illness (viral, bacterial). So it's actually a great sign when a child gets a fever b/c it means their body is fighting back to kill the bug by raising the body temp to a degree that is inhospitable to the bug.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 1:10 am
I would definitely call your doctor on call.

It's high. they'll probably tell you to put them in a coolish bath and give tylenol but you can't be too careful.

Also, my kids never responded to tylenol, only motrin worked for them. just an fyi if it doesn't work.

Kayza

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 1:28 am
amother wrote:
My 22 month old son just woke up hot and has a fever of 103.6. I gave him tylenol, but I dont know, is that enough, should I call the dr./take him to the ER? He's not throwing up or having any other symptoms I can think of, 'just' quite high fever.

Children's motrin is generally more effective than tylenol for high fever - and this IS high. Meantime, sponge him down with warm water. If that does not knock the fever down shortly, most definitely call the doctor. If it does go down, take him tomorrow and see if you can find out what it is.

Kayza

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 1:30 am
sarahmalka wrote:

Just remember fevers themselves are not an illness, they are the body's response to an illness (viral, bacterial). So it's actually a great sign when a child gets a fever b/c it means their body is fighting back to kill the bug by raising the body temp to a degree that is inhospitable to the bug.

Up to a point. 103 and higher though poses a threat - and it's not just about febrile seizures, although that's an issue, too.

Israeli Mother

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 6:35 am
Kayza wrote:
Up to a point. 103 and higher though poses a threat - and it's not just about febrile seizures, although that's an issue, too.

THIS IS NOT TRUE. There is no medical danger in just the fact that a child has a fever of 103. A fever that rises very quickly can sometimes cause febrile seizures, but for the vast majority of children, even this does not occur.

I am a doctor, went to medical school and all, even. I assure you that your child is not in danger from this level of fever. Non-professional posters, please stop trying to scare mothers with incorrect information. For a fever of 103, acamol or motrin or tylenol along with a tepid bath should help to bring down the fever. If a child has no other symptoms such as sore throat, ear ache, swelling anywhere, etc. it is very likely viral and you can wait and see what develops without running to the doctor. If the fever isn't coming down after a day or so, if the child is uncharacteristically listless and/or has a stiff neck, if he/she is complaining of a sore ear or if his/her throat is too sore to swallow -- try giving treats like ice pops or something that you know your child will always eat to check for sore throat -- then you should bring the child in to their doctor to be checked out.

Refua shelaima!

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 6:56 am
We were given the guideline of 40C (about 104F) before bringing them in. Those were MY paediatrician's instructions to ME. (I feel like I'm writing MY RAV said when I asked...) Take it for whatever it's worth.

e1234

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 7:22 am
Code:
Usually high fever is a virus.

I actually have found from my experience with my kids real high fever is usually infection

I was in miyun with my 14 month old last night and he has pnemonia

b'h he is better now but the fever was making his pulse go very quick

ElTam

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 11:52 am
Call the doctor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics