Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it shticky?

IamAJewishWoman

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 5:23 pm
is it shticky to misspell words?
I am not talking about a typo or if for some reason someones got a poor spelling, no thats understandable and barely noticeable.. but purposely misspelling words, its so annoying!! anyone else thinks so?

blue eyes

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 5:30 pm
oh I totally agree! especially with phone texts which is typically less formal. I have a friend that her signature is "ceap cmyling" it took me a while to realize what she actually meant- or hey maybe Im the one thats slow and it actually is shticky LOL

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 5:43 pm
It's supposed to be shticky?? I thought it's just (lazy) a new age type of typing.

checkbefore

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 9:06 pm
I can't understand why people feel they need to spell words incorrectly, but not to shorten it, just to spell it differently, like, 'kewl' instead of 'cool.' That example in particular drives me insane!

IamAJewishWoman

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 9:52 pm
checkbefore wrote:
I can't understand why people feel they need to spell words incorrectly, but not to shorten it, just to spell it differently, like, 'kewl' instead of 'cool.' That example in particular drives me insane!

You bet! well said! I am glad to see I am not the only one..

blue eyes

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 10:51 pm
Quote:
yo'ma wrote:
It's supposed to be shticky?? I thought it's just (lazy) a new age type of typing.

I'd prob say its just new way of typing rather than lazy

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 5:41 am
Believe it or not, there are developing rules and grammar to texting. Think of it as a separate dialect. Texting is intended to be fast and on a small screen, and therefore the fewer keys pressed, the better. "u r gr8" is a lot more efficient than "you are great." "411" is a lot faster to type than "information" or even "info". Who among us hasn't scribbled "b4" for "before" in our class notes or shopping list?

There are spelling rules, believe it or not. A savvy teen will type "kewl skewl", not "kule skule" or "kool skool". It's "ur" for "your", not "yer" or "yur".

Texting language, which is written slang, is also a way for texters, particularly teens, to distinguish themselves from the rest of society, particularly adults. But every group, from scientists to SAHMs, convicts to caterers, has its inside jargon that functions not only to make communication more efficient but also to create a distinction between "us" and "them", those inside the group and those outside of it.

Still, typing "kewl" for "cool" is pretty silly. Doesn't even save any keystrokes.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 7:44 am
If you're referring to anonymous posters here, they might just be trying to disguise themselves.

cm

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 8:20 am
What does "shticky" mean?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 8:46 am
I programmed the auto correct on my phone with words I use often. So when I type 'il call b4 I get to willy, gonna pick s/t up first' my phone will translate it to 'I'll call before I get to williamsburg, going to pick something up first.'

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:00 am
shticky = affected

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:25 am
I thought "shticky" was the frum version of "cool, hip, trendy"

ally

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:35 am
I think it makes you look ignorant and uneducated. Adults sound particularly ridiculous.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 12:00 pm
I do it bc its faster. I don't think its cool, I think its quicker. It's text language or chat language, not teenage language. The purposely misspelling words is beyond me though. What is the point in that?

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 12:07 pm
lamplighter wrote:
The purposely misspelling words is beyond me though. What is the point in that?

For adults? None, really, but they may think it makes them look "hip". It's the verbal equivalent of dressing like a teen, which seldom makes an adult look attractively young and usually makes the adult look pathetic.
For teens? The same as using slang. To annoy adults. To blend in with the rest of the teen crowd. For scholastically advantaged (I.e. smart) teens, to look less like a nerd and be accepted by the scholastic underachievers.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 1:15 pm
its ok to shorten words like "u" for you or "wntd" for wanted coz that actually saves time but to just change the spelling ?? pointless and wierd IMHO!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics