Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can babies sleep on pillows?

Reeve

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 6:27 am
My baby really seems to prefer sleeping on one of our pillows. He is 7 months old and he particularly likes it when he has a blocked nose. I let him in the day and I check on him every few mins. In the night, I think its unsafe, but do you think its ok to let him sleep on a pillow in the day? Are there baby safe pillows for the night as well?

myself

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 7:39 am
Would this pillow be suitable? http://www.johnlewis.com/23122......aspx

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 7:44 am
I would think perhaps something like a nursing pillow would work, if you need to elevate his head. Otherwise they recommend putting the pillow/blanked UNDER the crib mattress to create an elevation without increasing the risk of suffocation.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:31 am
Not really safe. You could be watching, but it is too easy to get distracted by a phone call, someone at the door, etc.

There are baby positioners at baby stores that are a better idea. When my kids were really congested as babies I let them sleep in their car seats with the straps on, right next to my bed.

SingALong

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:34 am
I wouldnt, I would try something like Marion posted, like elevating head part of mattress.

JustPlainMe

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 11:42 am
My babies both slept on a pillow from day 1. A firm flat pillow does not block the nose. I think I got the pillows at Ikea.

Chavelamomela

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 12:43 pm
Although the guidelines were set to prevent Suffocation in cribs, a parent can use their own judgement to determine what is appropriate. While the recommendations are generally for "infants under a year" the biggest risk is for newborns who cannot move, roll, or flip if they become stuck. A 7 month old has more control of their movements.

If the pillow is pretty flat and not super-fluffy, and it is secured well in the crib, I wouldn't worry. If you're baby is sleeping in your bed next to you, I would worry even less, since you're right there. (co-sleeping with a breastfed baby is associated with a reduced risk of SIDS)

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 3:33 pm
if he has a stuffed nose try placing a phonebook or a pillow under his matteres, this way it will help with his nose and there is no risk of suffucation.

Reeve

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 2:36 am
Thank you so much for all the advice, it has been incredibly helpful. He seems to have started falling asleep on a pillow and then moving off and not need it anymore, so I can just take it away. Its amazing how quickly children are able to learn new habits:) Lucky for us!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics