Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Speech therapist/experienced mom

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 7:52 am
A question for a speech therapist or experienced mom

My Ds 6 has a language/grammer problem. Example he will say "Before it rained" instead of "It rained this morning" or "I can have this?" instead of "could I have this?"

I read (1-2) books to him every night and I gently say the correct sentence before answering him.

Is there anything else I could do to help him?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:00 am
As a speech therapist and an experienced mother, I am not overly concerned about what you have posted. I do not know the contexts nor all the things he would say in a language sample, but it sounds like he is speaking the way kids speak today.
I would have to know the whole context of how he used "Before it rained" to analyze more.
As for, "I can have this?" - if he used the proper intonation it is completely acceptable. I dont know where you are from, but it's a way that many yiddish speaking children ask for things. Even if he is not exposed to yiddish, it is still fine.
You can offer other examples, if his speech still bothers you.

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:04 am
We were walking to day camp this morning and he noticed the sidewalks were wet. Hence the comment "before, it rained".

He does speak yiddish in school. But that is only a small part of the problem.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:07 am
What language(s) are spoken at home?

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:11 am
Complicated story.

First Language is english and then switched to yiddish because of school.So we speak to the kids in yiddish now.

But all books are in english.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:14 am
Does he have the same type of grammar errors in yiddish?
I really think he is just learning to use 2 languages.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:14 am
Does he have the same type of grammar errors in yiddish?
I really think he is just learning to use 2 languages.

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:19 am
yes. I think I am not conveying the extant of the problem.

Often when he wants to tell me a story he will have a hard time w/ the sequence of events. If I don't understand him I say "sweetie, think for a minute and then tell me the story". This helps him formulate his sentences in the correct order, even so, it's disjointed.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:21 am
I dont know where you live, but many districts offer free evaluations for speech therapy servies. WHy not give it a try?

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:44 am
We applied for speech therapy last Nov. After countless phone calls, meetings, evaluations,letters we still don't know if we are approved.(we are in brooklyn)

I was asking, what can I do as a mother to help him?

should I make him repeat himself?

will more books help?

what do speech therapists do in such cases?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 9:10 am
It sounds like sequencing and word order is the biggest issue.
You can buy picture sequence cards (any teaching store) and have him put them in order and retell the story that is happening. If he needs you tell it first you can.
After you read a book, always have him retell the story. if he makes a grammatical error or content error nicely say the correct answer.
Ask him "how to" do things and have him break things up step by step. Make him realize in a funny way if he says things out of order that things will come out wrong
Do an activity (baking, legos anything )and have him retell
Have him tell you what he did in camp. pay attention to what he says and ask for clarification and correct as needed.
Teach him first, next, then last in story telling
Make sure he can use before and after correctly. Have him follow directions using first. then. before/ after

Sudy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:18 am
thank you amother!

that was such a helpful post.

Chava Golar

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 5:26 pm
As a speech therapist, I agree with "amother's" above post. That is exactly what I would do in therapy (sequencing, first-last etc). I also agree that switching language may have contributed to his grammatical errors. We should be starting school next year and then he may be elligable for services in school which would not entile as much paperwork.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers