Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often do you clean your fridge?
1  2  Next

How Often Do You Clean Your Fridge?
Twice a Week  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Once a Week  
 20%  [ 15 ]
Once in Two Weeks  
 12%  [ 9 ]
Once a Month  
 34%  [ 25 ]
Other, please explain  
 31%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 73

mom2cutee

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:23 am
I clean it once a week. My friend thought it was way too often.

So I just want to see what's considered "normal".

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:27 am
When it is dirty.

momaleh

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:27 am
I sort of "clean as I go." Meaning, I'll clean a shelf one day, a different one the next day, as I have spare moments. And of course spills and messes get cleaned up right away, which ends up cleaning a whole area. I would guess it comes out to 1-2 times a month.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:30 am
I don't thoroughly clean it so often. But I try to clean parts when I notice they are dirty and have a minute to wipe it down.

I'm sure you are not the only one who cleans it once a week, and it probably goes quicker because there is not a big build up of dirt.

girliemom

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:34 am
Spills get cleaned right away. The whole fridge as needed probably every 2-3 weeks.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:36 am
Once a month. It used to be once every few months. Whenever it's dirty. Everything is in containers so the fridge itself doesn't really get dirty, but now that DD started running to the fridge as soon as she hears it open, putting things in and taking things out, the mess increases.

I imagine that the more kids you have the more often it needs to be cleaned.

In my shana rishona I used to worry I wasn't clean enough cuz I would sweep the floor every few days. Well guess what now I have a toddler and the floor gets swept six times a day. It's all relative.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:37 am
The outside generally gets cleaned before Shabbos. The fruit and vegetable bins get cleaned every week or two. The shelves get cleaned when I notice they need it. If there's a spill, I'll spray down the entire shelf. But I don't go through the whole fridge and clean it systematically on any schedule.

bm1234

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:41 am
When I notice that it's dirty. This usually ends up being almost every week anyways. It's a good idea to do it every week because then the buildup is not so bad and it also gives you a chance to notice which foods need to be discarted (like a rotten fruit which could spoil the other fruit around it) and how much you have of everything. This makes making your grocery list take faster. I think if your already doing it once a week, its a great habbit. Keep at it.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 12:02 pm
I clean bad spills when they happen, but good thorough cleaning?..... Before Pesach embarrassed (definitely posting this anon)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 12:22 pm
my husband does Smile

cm

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 12:29 pm
Spills and any visible dirt are cleaned up right away.

Areas that tend to accumulate crumbs etc (such as the bottom front) are cleaned more frequently.

My fridge isn't so full (small family), so it doesn't get a lot of spills and the shelves are largely visible so I can see when they need to be cleaned.

Emptying the fridge, pulling out the shelves and drawers, and steam-cleaning every nook and cranny - once a year for Pesach.

DovDov

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 2:27 pm
When I have time.

Which translates to once a month, aspirationally, but often less frequently than that. Obviously, spills get cleaned faster, at least if I see them, and food is stored covered.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 2:44 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
When it is dirty.

When it is dirty and I have the time.
See, this is the problem with using other people's maintenance schedules, be they for home or for self. The fridge belonging to a family with 7 children, none of whom believes in covering refrigeartor containers, whose mother optimistically buys fresh fruits and veggies but never gets around to actually serving them, and the fridge belonging to newlywed macrobiotic anorexics who eat out a lot (for macrobiotic anorexics), might require very different cleaning regimens.

obagys

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 2:54 pm
I clean out & scrub down the fruit/veggie bins every 2-3 weeks, and the rest of the fridge when it is obviously dirty. A real take-everything-out-and-deep-clean type of cleaning, only Pesach-time. I have 6 kids 10 and under, there is just no way I have the time or energy to clean the fridge so often.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:03 pm
I consider this way too personal a question. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:08 pm
Whenever I see that it needs to be cleaned. Obviously little things are cleaned right away but we have a small family and it doesn't really get too dirty. So it ends up being about once a month, I'd say.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 6:51 pm
I am married 1.5 years and haven't cleaned the fridge yet embarrassed

I use refrigerator liners and replace when they get dirty or if theres a spill...

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
I am married 1.5 years and haven't cleaned the fridge yet embarrassed

I use refrigerator liners and replace when they get dirty or if theres a spill...

honey, it's time to at least do a wipedown. Not even for Pesach? Even if everything stays on the liners, the underneath still should be cleaned every once in a while (like few months).

Boysrock!

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 7:07 pm
I have 2 kids and clean it every Thursday morning before I make the weekly grocery order. Its simply easier.. I take everything out - discard the unfresh, and clean. Takes me 15 minutes.

mom2cutee

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 7:16 pm
Hmmm... maybe I should cut down on the cleaning a little. It's just me and DH eating, so I suppose it is a little much. Exclamation

OTOH, being that I am a SAHM, it gives me what to be busy with!

Can't hurt to be too clean, can it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry