Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Soy formula - bad for babies!!!
1  2  Next

skazm

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:10 am
http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/574189 and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html and http://kingwoodunderground.com.....71854

I hope Hashem protects all the yidden using soy formula b/c of chalav yisrael issues bc I am scared and don't care how much $ I'm not giving my baby this anymore. sooo scary

skazm

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:12 am
May 8, 2008 — The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has updated its 1998 review of soy protein-based formulas and addresses the advantages and disadvantages of phytoestrogens in soy formulas. The updated review is published in the May issue of Pediatrics.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is committed to the use of human milk as the ideal source of nutrition for infant feeding," write Jatinder Bhatia, MD, Frank Greer, MD, and colleagues from the AAP Committee on Nutrition. "Despite limited indications, soy protein-based formula accounts for approximately 20% of the formula market in the United States. Because an infant formula provides a source of nutrition for an extended interval, its nutritional adequacy must be proven, and the indications for its use must be substantiated and well understood."

For nearly a century, soy protein-based formulas have been available for infant feeding and were first used as a milk substitute for an infant unable to tolerate a cow's milk protein-based formula. The formulation has since changed to the current soy protein isolate.

This update reviews the limited indications and contraindications of soy formulas as well as the potential harmful effects of soy protein-based formulas and the phytoestrogens they contain.

Currently available isolated soy protein-based formulas are all free of cow's milk protein and lactose and provide 67 kcal/dL. They are all iron fortified and meet the 2004 AAP guidelines for vitamin, mineral, and electrolyte requirements for feeding term infants. Protein content is 2.45 to 2.8 grams per 100 kilocalories or 1.65 to 1.9 g/dL, derived from a soy isolate supplemented with L-methionine, L-carnitine, and taurine.

The fat content of soy protein-based formulas ranges from 5.02 to 5.46 grams per 100 kilocalories or 3.4 to 3.6 g/dL, derived mostly from soy, palm, sunflower, olein, safflower, and coconut oils. Docosahexaenoic and arachidonic acids are added routinely, and carbohydrate sources are corn maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, and sucrose (10.26 - 10.95 grams per 100 kilocalories or 6.9 - 7.4 g/dL). All soy-based formulas are fortified with iron and zinc.

"Concerns raised in relation to phytoestrogens/isoflavones include their potential negative effects on s-xual development and reproduction, neurobehavioral development, immune function, and thyroid function," the guidelines authors write. "On the other hand, epidemiologic studies have suggested a protective effect of isoflavones against a number of adult chronic diseases, including coronary heart disease and breast, endometrial, and prostate cancers."

Specific clinical recommendations and findings are as follows:

Isolated soy protein-based formulas may be used to provide nutrition for normal growth and development in term infants. However, there are few indications to use them instead of formula based on cow's milk. These indications include feeding of infants with galactosemia and hereditary lactase deficiency, which is rare, and in situations in which a vegetarian diet is preferred.
Extensively hydrolyzed protein formula should be considered for infants with documented cow's milk protein allergy because 10% to 14% of these infants also have soy protein allergy.
After rehydration, most infants with acute gastroenteritis who were previously well can be managed with continued use of human milk or standard dilutions of cow's milk-based formulas. When secondary lactose intolerance occurs, isolated soy protein-based formulas may be indicated.
Unless the infant has 1 of the above indications, isolated soy protein-based formula has no advantage over cow's milk protein-based formula as a supplement for the breast-fed infant.
Soy protein-based formulas are not designed for or recommended for feeding of preterm infants.
For the prevention or management of infantile colic or fussiness, the routine use of isolated soy protein-based formula is of no demonstrated value.
Infants who have documented enteropathy or enterocolitis induced by cow's milk protein frequently are as sensitive to soy protein and should therefore be given formula derived from hydrolyzed protein or synthetic amino acids rather than isolated soy protein-based formula. Severe gastrointestinal tract reactions to soy protein-based formula may include enteropathy, enterocolitis, proctitis, small-bowel injury, a reversible celiac-like villus injury that produces an enteropathy with malabsorption, hypoalbuminemia, and failure to thrive.
For the prevention of atopic disease in healthy or high-risk infants, routine use of isolated soy protein-based formula is of no demonstrated value.
"In humans, very limited data to date suggest that soy phytoestrogens have a low affinity for human postnatal estrogen receptors and low potency in bioassays," the guidelines authors conclude. "Although studied by numerous investigators in various species, there is no conclusive evidence from animal, adult human, or infant populations that dietary soy isoflavones may adversely affect human development, reproduction, or endocrine function."

The guidelines authors note that these recommendations are not intended as an exclusive course of treatment or to serve as a standard of medical care. Variations based on individual circumstances may be appropriate. They also note that all clinical AAP reports automatically expire 5 years after publication unless reaffirmed, revised, or retired at or before that time.

Pediatrics. 2008;121:1062-1068.

Clinical Context

Human milk is the recommended source of nutrition for infants, but most infants in North America receive infant formula by 2 months of age. Soy formula consists of up to 25% of the infant formula market. There is no cow's milk protein or lactose in soy formula. Soy formula contains phytoestrogens, including the nonsteroidal estrogens, isoflavones. Whereas isoflavones might be beneficial in the prevention of coronary heart disease and cancer of the breast, endometrium, and prostate in adults, phytoestrogens might have adverse effects on s-xual development, reproduction, neurobehavioral development, immune system function, and thyroid function. Isoflavones are excreted in human milk in low levels, depending on maternal diet.

This review from the AAP, which updates the 1998 AAP review of soy protein-based formulas, assesses the indications and contraindications for the use of soy formula and evaluates the effects of phytoestrogens in soy formulas.

Study Highlights

Soy formula composition meets US Food and Drug Administration and AAP guidelines for vitamin, mineral, and electrolyte content and provides 67 kcal/dL:
Soy isolate protein plus L-methionine, L-carnitine, and taurine provide 2.45 to 2.8 grams per 100 kilocalories.
Fat consisting mostly of vegetable oils provides 5.02 to 5.46 grams per 100 kilocalories.
Carbohydrate, consisting of corn maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, and sucrose, provides 10.26 to 10.95 grams per 100 kilocalories.
Soy formulas contain 20% more calcium and phosphorus than cow's milk formulas and are fortified with iron and zinc because of phosphorus, iron, and zinc binding.
Studies of animals and human adults and infants show limited or no clear evidence that soy isoflavones have adverse effects on human development, reproduction, or endocrine function:
Soy isoflavones have different absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion according to age, relations, and cultural group.
Male infants have not had increased feminization or hypospadias.
Women who participated in a soy formula study as infants had longer duration of menstrual bleeding and more discomfort but no increase in menstrual blood flow.
Infants with congenital hypothyroidism fed with soy formula vs those not fed with soy formula have prolonged elevation of thyroid-stimulating hormone.
Aluminum is higher in soy formula vs human milk (600 - 1300 ng/mL vs 4 - 65 ng/mL) and could be related to osteopenia in infants born preterm or with intrauterine growth retardation.
Term infants fed with soy formula have normal growth and development, energy intake, serum albumin, and bone mineralization; there are no clinical problems with nutrition, s-xual development, thyroid disease, or immune function.
For preterm infants, soy formula is not recommended: lower serum phosphorus and higher alkaline phosphatase levels lead to osteopenia risk despite supplemental calcium and vitamin D.
Soy formula is safe and cost effective for infants with galactosemia or primary lactase deficiency but is contraindicated in sucrase-isomaltase deficiency and hereditary fructose intolerance.
Soy formula can be used if families prefer to avoid animal products.
Most infants with acute diarrhea can continue breast-milk or cow's milk formula, but soy formula or lactose-free cow's milk formula can be used if secondary lactase deficiency:
Dietary failure rate is higher for lactose formula vs lactose-free formula (22% vs 12%).
Recovery rate is similar with use of human milk, cow's milk formula, or soy formula.
Diarrhea duration is shorter with soy formula, addition of soy polysaccharide fiber, or resuming mixed-staple diet.
Colic is not significantly reduced with soy vs cow's milk formula; sucrose and fiber in soy formula might be beneficial.
In infants with cow's milk protein–induced non–IgE-mediated enterocolitis, hydrolyzed protein formula is recommended, as 30% to 64% of infants also have soy-induced enterocolitis.
In infants with cow's milk protein allergy, hydrolyzed protein formula should be considered because 10% to 14% also have soy protein allergy:
Allergy is reported more often to cow's milk formula vs soy protein (1.8% - 3.4% vs 0.5% - 1.1%)
Severe anaphylaxis to soy protein is uncommon.
Soy formula is not useful in preventing atopic disease in healthy or high-risk infants.
Pearls for Practice

Indications for use of soy formula in infants include galactosemia, hereditary lactase deficiency, preference for vegetarian diet, and possibly for secondary lactose intolerance.
Soy formula is contraindicated for sucrase-isomaltase deficiency and hereditary fructose intolerance. Soy formula is not indicated for cow's milk protein allergy, preterm infants, infantile colic or fussiness, cow's milk protein-induced enteropathy or enterocolitis, or the prevention of atopic disease.

6yeladim

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 9:46 pm
When the Israeli Health Ministry released its study on babies who were affected by the faulty Remedia soy formula that lacked vitamin B1, they compared the outcome of those babies with babies who drank other brands of soy formula and dairy formula. They found that the babies who used soy formula (that contained B1) had 3 times the risk of ADHD than babies who breastfed or used dairy formula.

bnm

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 11:19 pm
may I ask what is causing your anti formula crusade?

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 11:27 pm
Uh, truth?

6yeladim

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 11:29 pm
I believe that parents should be informed about the risks of different kinds of formula. The study was published only in Hebrew and was not widely publicized.

Why do you have a problem with a member of imamother providing correct information about something she has studied? But you have no problem with misleading, paid advertisements for products that have proven to be harmful for babies and mothers.

I think formula should be compared to medicine. Sometimes it's necessary, but it has side effects. The advertisements treat it like it is a wonderful food and ignore the fact that it is lacking many important ingredients.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 3:56 am
6yeladim, thank you for your highly informative post. people should realize that the article is not from some wild crazy magazine that wants to spark hype and sell papers, it is from the american pediatric association. a group of doctors just doing medical research and informing the public.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 4:36 am
bnm wrote:

why is this anti formula? It is saying soy formula is not as good for babies as dairy formula.

Only babies who cannot tolerate dairy should have soy. (or other alternatives, some babies can't have soy or dairy) A lot of frum people use soy formula since cy formula may not be widely available, I think it is important for them to know so they can make the extra effort to access dairy formula.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:14 am
Why doesn't each person ask a shayla? You might be surprised. I know mothers who were told to give their babies the regular milk based powder instead of soy when cy formula was not an option like on WIC or oot. Ask!

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:21 am
Yes--the need to ask a shaila should be more publicized, rather than taking it upon yourself to assume CS is always forbidden and you should just use soy. With babies, it is a real question of health, not cost or convenience.

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:21 am
Raisin wrote:
bnm wrote:

why is this anti formula? It is saying soy formula is not as good for babies as dairy formula.

Only babies who cannot tolerate dairy should have soy. (or other alternatives, some babies can't have soy or dairy) A lot of frum people use soy formula since cy formula may not be widely available, I think it is important for them to know so they can make the extra effort to access dairy formula.

its her second topic about formula today.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:26 am
I'm not sure if I'll be able to fully follow this debate, so sorry if I'm adding fuel to the fire or if this has been said.
I'm grateful I nursed as long as I did and that my kids weren't on formula exclusively when they were on formula (they were on solids already when I switched).
All that said, what are the options? Cows' milk formula? Leaving CY aside, isn't milk an allergen, and something to be avoided in many cases? Goats' milk formula? Less of an allergen possibly (not sure where I heard that) but how available?
People do what they have to do. Sometimes the decisions aren't fully ours.
I guess it's good to get the info out there to help make a fully informed decision but maybe it can be framed in a less incendiary way.

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:31 am
I never heard of goat's milk formula, and if someone is allergic to cow milk protein they are most probably allergic to goat milk protein.

there is milk based, soy based, then stuff like nutramigen or allimentum that are broken down milk protein, good for most kids who have issues with milk, there is also hypoallergenic- elacare, nutramigen AA- they are amino acid based, don't really start with milk as their base. my kids gastro puts you straight to nutramigen if the kid is having issues with milk based stuff since a big percentage of kids that are allergic to milk are allergic to soy too

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:32 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I guess it's good to get the info out there to help make a fully informed decision but maybe it can be framed in a less incendiary way.

Thumbs Up

Tova

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:37 am
nylon wrote:
Yes--the need to ask a shaila should be more publicized, rather than taking it upon yourself to assume CS is always forbidden and you should just use soy. With babies, it is a real question of health, not cost or convenience.

We used CS formula (Enfamil) for my kids when needed. My husband didn't even ask a shayla --- he said it was clear cut that it was muttar for children (babies) with the difficulty of obtainment and very high cost of CY formula. That's exactly what Rav Moshe's heter is for and we hold by it.

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:39 am
Gotta tell you, maybe soy formula 25 years ago was different but at least one of my kids was raised on it then and they are fine today. And were fine in between as well. Our pediatrician didn't think much of the milk formulas for any infants who had either stomach trouble, constant colds etc. and the soy solved all the problems. This one is probably the healthiest of all my kids too...so go know.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:40 am
I've never seen goats' milk formula in the US, unless you want to make it yourself (please don't). UK banned commercial goats milk formula for infants <6 months. And it's certainly not CY!

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:42 am
Tova wrote:
nylon wrote:

We used CS formula (Enfamil) for my kids when needed. My husband didn't even ask a shayla --- he said it was clear cut that it was muttar for children (babies) with the difficulty of obtainment and very high cost of CY formula. That's exactly what Rav Moshe's heter is for and we hold by it.

we also used CS in an attempt to keep my son on milk based formula- we started on CY Similac but then the dr recommended a different formulation to try to keep him off reflux meds. it didn't help but we had no hesitation using it.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:43 am
freidasima wrote:
Gotta tell you, maybe soy formula 25 years ago was different but at least one of my kids was raised on it then and they are fine today. And were fine in between as well. Our pediatrician didn't think much of the milk formulas for any infants who had either stomach trouble, constant colds etc. and the soy solved all the problems. This one is probably the healthiest of all my kids too...so go know.

The argument isn't that all kids will do badly on soy. It's about aggregate results. Most formula fed kids are just fine too, and I've got a healthy 4yo to prove it, but that doesn't mean we don't say breastfeeding is best. Soy vs dairy is the same thing: soy is fine if you need to, but not first choice.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:44 am
freidasima wrote:

I actually drank soy formula till 12.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics