Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Soy formula - bad for babies!!!
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:07 am
thi sis not new information btw. I read this somewhere 10 years ago. When I had to wean my 9 month old I made sure to get hold of cy milk formula. And no, they don't sell it here.

6yeladim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:34 am
bnm wrote:
Raisin wrote:
bnm wrote:
may I ask what is causing your anti formula crusade?

why is this anti formula? It is saying soy formula is not as good for babies as dairy formula.

Only babies who cannot tolerate dairy should have soy. (or other alternatives, some babies can't have soy or dairy) A lot of frum people use soy formula since cy formula may not be widely available, I think it is important for them to know so they can make the extra effort to access dairy formula.

its her second topic about formula today.

You can thank "related topics" for that.

6yeladim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not sure if I'll be able to fully follow this debate, so sorry if I'm adding fuel to the fire or if this has been said.
I'm grateful I nursed as long as I did and that my kids weren't on formula exclusively when they were on formula (they were on solids already when I switched).
All that said, what are the options? Cows' milk formula? Leaving CY aside, isn't milk an allergen, and something to be avoided in many cases? Goats' milk formula? Less of an allergen possibly (not sure where I heard that) but how available?
People do what they have to do. Sometimes the decisions aren't fully ours.
I guess it's good to get the info out there to help make a fully informed decision but maybe it can be framed in a less incendiary way.

I'd appreciate it if you'd point out what I wrote that you found incendiary.

6yeladim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 9:49 am
I don't think I was incendiary on this thread. I can see how the other thread might be seen that way. Of course, I was attacked, but that is no excuse. I appreciate the comment.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Why doesn't each person ask a shayla? You might be surprised. I know mothers who were told to give their babies the regular milk based powder instead of soy when cy formula was not an option like on WIC or oot. Ask!

I would have a very hard time respecting a rav who says to hold by a chumra for a baby even when that chumra is proven to have potential negative effects. And there are too many people who DON'T ask, and are so holy that they can't chas veshalom give chalav stam to a baby. No, Hashem will protect them in the zechus of keeping cholov yisrael. Yeah right. Amei haaretz.

Someone who uses soy formula for allergy reasons is doing the best they can to provide nutrients to their infant.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:46 am
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do with an open mind Sad
DD #1 was a preemie and too weak to nurse from me ,she was starving so they tubed her ..but then I lost my milk supply due to the stress and Illness (even while pumping) Crying

The regular formula made her sick beyond words ....They soy worked well for her B'H !

She is now 15 and B'H a completely healthy 5'8 girl ,who at birth was tiny and would not have survived had we not had the technology to produce an alternative to non mamal derived milk.

I went on to nurse my kids full time one till 3 y/o and the last 2 still going strong tandem nursing.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:58 am
6yeladim wrote:
I don't think I was incendiary on this thread. I can see how the other thread might be seen that way. Of course, I was attacked, but that is no excuse. I appreciate the comment.

Sorry, yet something else I regretted while at the doctor's office, unable to edit. Wrong word. I was concerned about the subject line. I realize you're passionate about this, and it's coming from a good part of you, but the thread title was a bit....intense.

6yeladim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 11:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
6yeladim wrote:

Sorry, yet something else I regretted while at the doctor's office, unable to edit. Wrong word. I was concerned about the subject line. I realize you're passionate about this, and it's coming from a good part of you, but the thread title was a bit....intense.

Just a reminder that I am not the OP. I would not have chosen that title.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 3:08 pm
6yeladim wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
6yeladim wrote:

Just a reminder that I am not the OP. I would not have chosen that title.

embarrassed
So my apologies to the OP. Hope they're taken.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 8:03 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
Why doesn't each person ask a shayla? You might be surprised. I know mothers who were told to give their babies the regular milk based powder instead of soy when cy formula was not an option like on WIC or oot. Ask!

I would have a very hard time respecting a rav who says to hold by a chumra for a baby even when that chumra is proven to have potential negative effects. And there are too many people who DON'T ask, and are so holy that they can't chas veshalom give chalav stam to a baby. No, Hashem will protect them in the zechus of keeping cholov yisrael. Yeah right. Amei haaretz.

Someone who uses soy formula for allergy reasons is doing the best they can to provide nutrients to their infant.

my neice had to have treife formula because no other formula would work. Okayed by a lubavitch rav, who are usually very makpid on CY. I don't think they would say it is ok to give chalav stam formula becasue it is cheaper, in that case ALL chalav stam (milk, cheese, yogurts) would be ok, since it is cheaper, however, if the baby's health would suffer through having the CY formula or soy formula, I assume they would ok a CS version.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:32 pm
Quote:
CY for those who hold the way we do is not a chumrah. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as treif, but it is just as assur. However, as Raisin wrote, there are times that the halacha is matir treif, or non CY, for pikuach nefesh.

This article doesn't indicate pikuach nefesh. Personally, I would rather nurse than get into all these problems, even if it entails a bit of difficulty. Parents should know of these potential pitfalls that can unforseenly arise after giving up nursing.

baltimoremom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:49 pm
I find this whole forum offensive, my son has been on soy formula since he was two months old. Firstly, just to clarify soy and milk formula by enfamil are the same exact price. Secondly, my doctor who has been a pediatrician for 30 yrs had samples of this formula and highly recommended it. ALL FORMULA HAS SOY EVEN MILK FORMULA. and plenty of babies have to go on soy formula for milk allergies or for other reasons. As someone mentioned in an earlier post a lot of babies cannot tolerate milk. My son B"h is doing well and I myself had soy formula as a child and so did all my siblings. If you want to keep C"Y you can buy the israeli formula but a child died from it would you take that risk????

The OP posted articles from .coms which are not reliable and has no scientific evidence when there is a death of child as evidence that israeli CY formula is harmful.

AND for the last rude poster who said she would rather nurse, nursing does not work for everyone so some of us are left with no choice but to give formula and if you keep CY- soy formula is a good option.

baltimoremom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 10:52 pm
LAstly http://kingwoodunderground.com.....71854 quoted wikapedia if you are changing the food you are giving your child based on an article written by someone who quotes wikapedia then you need to do some re-thinking.

anyone can post on wikapedia so think twice before you put your child's health in the hands of a random source and then OP POSTS that here. REALLY???

Rodent

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 12:12 am
There is nothing new in this, I've refused to use soy formula for my all my boys because of the hormones in soy. As an occasional thing fine, or a part of the diet, but not a fan of it being the whole diet unless there is absolutely no choice. A small amount in dairy formula is very different to straight soy formula all the time. It's also different to give an occasional soy bottle to avoid meat/milk issues once babies have teeth.

There is stam goat's formula available here but it's quite pricey, would use it over soy if needed though but we don't keep CY anyway. No CY formula here and most Jews I know use soy which makes me uneasy. Sure, most kids will be fine but that doesn't mean that all will.

Soy formula has its place but there is no way that 25% of babies need it. People jump to it too quickly instead of investigating other options and seeking appropriate rabbinic advice when necessary.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 12:34 am
baltimoremom wrote:
LAstly http://kingwoodunderground.com.....71854 quoted wikapedia if you are changing the food you are giving your child based on an article written by someone who quotes wikapedia then you need to do some re-thinking.

anyone can post on wikapedia so think twice before you put your child's health in the hands of a random source and then OP POSTS that here. REALLY???

I'm not OP, but here's another link, content provided by Harvard Health Publications at Harvard Medical School, including sources from the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics). No, soy formula is not poison, but it is highly overused, considering the known and unknown risks involved.

http://health.msn.com/kids-hea.....rmula

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 1:17 am
baltimoremom wrote:
AND for the last rude poster who said she would rather nurse, nursing does not work for everyone
That's how I feel. I said it's my feeling. You might feel differently,and I 'm not forcing you to share it, but please don't resort to name-calling Sad .
I will be dan lkaf zchus that you sincerely didn't understand my post. There are many people who don't have a choice, and that's not who I was referring to.

a. I'm talking about if there is an option. b. Some people, by no means all, use formula only for convenience, not necessity. In those cases it is rather sad when the mom has elected to give up nursing and finds herself in the postion of having to give her baby non-kosher formula, when had she known it could have been avoided. Sometimes, had she known that would be the case, she might have made more of an effort with the nursing. Again, not speaking about those who can't, or couldn't nurse.

Quote:
so some of us are left with no choice but to give formula and if you keep CY- soy formula is a good option.
I agree! FTR, I have nothing against soy formula. If it was available not processed on DE, which is also something we don't use, I gave it to my older babies. I nursed for a long time for the health benefits, and also for the kashrus benefits, because soy wasn't available with the badatz hechsher then, and most soy was produced on DE.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics