Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Were you emotional at your sons bris
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 3:00 pm
Sure was emotional! I was FURIOUS Exploding anger ! After discussing the baby's name with dh on the phone, explaining my preferences, he called the baby a name that I didn't want!

Later, I called him and asked him about it (from the mo&b home) and he replied "I just couldn't face calling the baby by a name that I didn't like!"

What a CHUTZPA!

Later, my MIL showed me a photograph that she took of me "all crying like" (her words) and I asked her to please not show it to my dh.

It's all water under the bridge though...

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 5:24 am
Ruchel wrote:
I even know people who want a girl to escape the bris lol

When we had a girl my husband was so excited but I was disappionted because I wanted a boy. I asked my husband why was he so excited he told me that he didn't want to go through another bris. He cried when my son had his bris ,but I didn't see it. (I have never seen him cry maybe once and that was it.)

I cried only when my son was named for my father a"l.

Last edited by supermom on Mon, Oct 30 2006, 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 5:26 am
technic wrote:
Mindy wrote:
technic- im afraid toa sk - who's noah?

that kinda famous guy from the flood!!!! LOL

LOL I didn't expect that answer. I have tears in my eyes from laughter.

technic

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 8:14 am
im glad that 9 yrs later (kyh) pple r laughing at this - cos at the time I was BAWLING!!!! embarrassed

Chayary

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 9:01 am
Everybody warned me that I would be a total mess, and I have seen friends who are real, total messes. I can't say I wasn't emotional, I was, but I managed not to cry, mostly by standing by myself and really focusing on Davening, like an earlier poster said. And then as soon as they were done, my first reaction was "Someone get me my baby, NOW!" Later when the mohel was checking him again and he was hysterical, I had to leave the room for a minute. But I can't say I was traumatized, it felt like a Zchus, and I truly disagree with those people (not on this thread ,in real life) who I have heard really denigrate the mitzvah, how much they hate doing it, etc.
Also, something that really helped me, a lot was having a mohel who we really loved. I didn't even think about it in advance, meaning, I figured competent is what counts. Are mohel was so sensitive and loving to the baby, an expert swaddler and cooer, and if the baby was crying while he was checking him before or after, he would stop to try to calm him down. He even cuddled with him during the seudah--you could just tell that he loves babies...somehow that made it much easier to hand him off to him.

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 9:36 am
well I was still in pain from my stiches, I couldnt even sit down yet! the bris was in my parents house and I was upstairs I could hear it all though
I was emotional didnt cry though, I thought I would!

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 8:15 pm
I cried out of such tremendous joy that I was zoche to have a baby boy and a bris - funny thing 13 years later by his bar mitzvah I bawled tremendously also from the hugh nachas I was feeling (especially cause we had to change what he lained 1or 2 weeks before and he still did such an amazing job the rav invited him to lain the original parsha as well)

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Sure was emotional! I was FURIOUS Exploding anger ! After discussing the baby's name with dh on the phone, explaining my preferences, he called the baby a name that I didn't want!

Later, I called him and asked him about it (from the mo&b home) and he replied "I just couldn't face calling the baby by a name that I didn't like!"

What a CHUTZPA!

Later, my MIL showed me a photograph that she took of me "all crying like" (her words) and I asked her to please not show it to my dh.

I'm sorry, but I would go through the ROOF!!!! I got mad just reading your post.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 8:35 am
Marney wrote:
amother wrote:

What a CHUTZPA!

I'm sorry, but I would go through the ROOF!!!! I got mad just reading your post.

me too

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 9:56 am
The worst is not the bris - it's that they keep the poor thing fopr a few minutes afterwards, saying all the brochos and whatever, and the poor thing just wants it's mummy!

What is the basis of this minhag of women not being at the bris? Who looks after the poor baby straight away? He has to wait 20 minutes or whatever till he gets back to his mother? Our mohel told us not to nurse the baby for a while before so he would be hungary and the nursing will make him feel better.

I'm glad it's not our minhag - 9 months of heartburn and nausea and discomfort and I don't even get to celebrate. Confused

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 02 2006, 7:20 pm
I agree Raisin - people told me not to go and I didn't listen

anuta

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 7:42 pm
We had the bris in our living/dining room, packed with people. Not only did I go out that morning and buy new tablecloths for the bris table and for the dining table, I was in the room the whole time, and I WATCHED everything, couldn't take my eyes off. I guess I wasn't emotional.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:53 am
I would say I was more "alert" than "emotional." I'm the kind of person who feels less anxious when I am adequately informed.

I met with the mohel ahead of time (I was actually invited to a co-worker's son's bris just 2 days before ours; same mohel), and watched all the entire preparation procedure to make sure I understood it.

At our bachor's bris, I was present during the same set-up procedure that he did on my son. My husband performed the actual circumcision, so he was more nervous than I was!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 6:37 pm
I always think that I should be and if I'm not, people would wonder what was wrong with me. BTW, I'm not one to care what other people think of me, but I guess those times are different. Even if so, I wasn't. I stay on the side and try to avoid people, but I'm not. Maybe I get a little teary eyed, but not much. The baby cries at home, so the crying doesn't bother me and the baby usually cries because he's naked, not because of the actual bris, right?! Also the actual bris isn't so long if it's a good mohel. Also, I just think, it's a mitzvah Smile .

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 7:28 pm
I dont have any sons yest, but I cried by my nephews bris so I guess I would also by my sons!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:02 pm
I was home at the time of the bris. Even if I were I would probably not be that emotional.

Rodent

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:23 pm
For my first I cried. I was petrified and hated handing him over when I knew he would be hurt (he actually slept through it in the end).

I haven't cried for the other 3 but I hate people bringing it up beforehand. I don't like to think about it and it's hard enough when my non-Jewish anti-circumcision mother makes snide remarks all the time. I wasn't in the room this last time (no room and I was secretly happy about that), was for the other 3, was still able to hear though.

louche

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:34 pm
Not really, no, but I did suffer sympathy pangs for the poor little tyke who was about to be slashed. I couldn't be in the room. Ouch, I wince even now, just thinking about it. Even "knowing"--b/c everyone tells you--it hurts you more than it hurts him. *

*I don't actually believe that for a second.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:44 pm
louche wrote:
Not really, no, but I did suffer sympathy pangs for the poor little tyke who was about to be slashed. I couldn't be in the room. Ouch, I wince even now, just thinking about it. Even "knowing"--b/c everyone tells you--it hurts you more than it hurts him. *

*I don't actually believe that for a second.

why , they say that newborns nerves are not as sharp as ours, and youre the mother. so I would believe that. in a relative way

melbee

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 10:51 pm
I was a mess his entire first week of life. Kept thinking it wasn't fair to him to make him be in pain so young (it's not logical, massive hormones were acting up on me). At the bris itself, women kept trying to push me closer to the mechitza so I could look through, but I parked my feet on the floor in the back and refused. It was so hard to give the baby to the kvatterim. Ah well, he went, I cried, he was totally fine (didn't even cry really), and then we locked ourselves away and nursed.

... And DH changed all his diapers for the next week Twisted Evil
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics