Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Ironing, do you, don't you, does it make a difference?
1  2  3  Next

I iron everything, including underclothing.
I don't iron at all  
 55%  [ 49 ]
I only iron my husband's shirts  
 12%  [ 11 ]
I iron my children's school clothing school clothing and my husband's shirts  
 20%  [ 18 ]
I iron my children's school clothing but ot my husbannd's shirts  
 3%  [ 3 ]
I only iron Shabbos/yom tov/simcha clothing  
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 89

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:08 pm
My DH isn't into the idea of ironing. He likes wrinkle free shirts hung up after the wash. He says that since he wears a jacket all day no one sees his shirts anyway. I have to admit, he does look fine.

On the other hand, if my girls have to go off with un-ironed uniform shirts (they have button down cotton shirts and the collars stick out funny if they aren't ironed) I am not happy. I also feel the need to iron my son's school clothing. Polo shirt collars IME roll and look funny if they aren't ironed. For the life of me, cargo pants and shorts look a mess if not ironed, but they are such a pain to iron that I wish we didn't own any.

How does one properly iron cargo pant/shorts?

Last edited by Liba on Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:15 pm
I don’t know.

I don’t iron anything.

Note that the “wrinkle-free” stuff that the shirts are treated with, doesn’t last forever, though.

gottago

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:20 pm
If I had the time, I would iron everything (OK, not undies and pjs)
I don't so I iron anything the most important stuff, button down shirts, uniforms, shabbos clothes, some t shirts...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:23 pm
My dh doesn't like wrinkle free shirts, so he irons them. He is in charge of everything shirt related, though- he washes them, too. I don't iron any of my toddler's clothing, I just pull tight after I wash, and hang dry. I have a few skirts that need to be ironed, but mostly I get away with pulling tight when they are wet, and hanging to dry. I dislike looking messy, but I'm lazy. So I just buy clothing that looks good without ironing Smile

Yearoldmother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:42 pm
I'm a spoiled brat LOL

I started working as a secretary at a dry cleaners a few months ago and I get free cleaning. So anything I need ironed goes straight to them Very Happy

honeygold

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 4:10 pm
I find that if you fold or hang up shirts straight from the dryer while they're still hot then it doesnt have wrinkles. I used to iron my husbands shirts but I got lazy.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 4:43 pm
I iron the wrnkled things although now-a-days thats much less coz my dryer has a wrinkle free option that realllly works so if I hang the stuff up right away it doesnt really need ironing so things like the shirts dh will wear to work I wont iron but his shabbos shirts, my skirts and my babies creased shirts/trousers, I will iron quickly.
I actually dont mind ironing, switch on a good movie, and chillax its great Smile

cc

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 7:21 pm
How do you watch a movie and iron? I have to see what I'm doing.
I can barely talk on the phone when I iron- thats one reason why I never get to the ironing pile

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 8:19 pm
You left out a lot of options such as "I iron my clothes and nobody else's" and "I iron all my kids' clothes and all my dh's clothes" (trousers need ironing, too, you know!)

Cargo pants are not **supposed** to be ironed--that's the point. They're supposed to make you look like a castaway on a deserted island.

ESB

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 9:04 pm
I iron dhs shirts dds clothing and linen.

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:27 pm
chocolate chips:
what type of dryer do you have?
wrinkle free option? I have never heard of that
sounds good!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:52 pm
I ironed my shirt once, last year, because it was really too wrinkled to wear. Dd saw and said, "What are you cooking, Mommy?"

Since then I ironed once more that I remember.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:22 am
I am a seamstress so I iron almost every seam I sew. But our personal stuff I never iron. Shirts, I just put in the dryer for a few minutes and all the wrinkles disappear!
If I didnt sew I probably wouldn't own an iron

anon cuz I dont want you knowing my profession. I'm paranoid someone will figure me out IRL Bomb

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:31 am
I iron my clothes when they are wrinkled. I'll iron Dh's shirts for a special occasion but normally, we just hang them up right out of the dryer and they're ok.

ray family

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:45 am
if it was up to me (meaning if I had the physical strength) I would iron ever last item that we wear- including undershirts. I would love to also iron my linen.

I used to iron all my husbands shirts, all of the kids stuff and all of my stuff.
then my back started spasming, my legs feel like I have a fire burning in them and so forth. so I cut back
now I still iron my husbands shirts, my kids shabbos stuff, some of their weekday clothing that *must* get ironed. my stuff that really needs it.
in the beginning it was really hard and I would cringe every time I looked at my kids wrinkled clothing but now I'm sort of used to it. on the days when it really bothers me I'll change them into something pressed Rolling Eyes (yes, I'm nuts)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:47 am
I've never ironed anything. We don't even own an iron. I told DH early in the relationship that ok his cleaning lady irons, but I don't so he can get a cleaning lady or a dry cleaner to do it or he can do it or skip it! LOL

We do not wear anything wrinkled.

My dad who was extremely into all this in his youth also didn't iron, he would fold his clothes and sleep with them under the mattress.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:04 am
I have maybe ironed twice in my married life. We just take things right out of the washing machine as soon as it is done and hang to dry and then it is all fine.
I hate ironing and my husband has no time. BH to work he wears polo shirts. Those, as soon as they are folded for a little while loose any creases that they may have had before.

Try hanging things to dry, it has worked for us (husband's shabbat shirts, some of my skirts, his pants - think suit pants)

curlgirl

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:31 am
What do I vote if I don't iron but my DH does?

(A shirt for himself every day and very occasionally something for me or one of the kids)

And OOC- all of you who iron your DH's shirts- who was doing your DH's ironing before he got married?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:46 am
My dh may have ironed my engagement outfit. I don't remember if he did it or proposed to do it.

Liba

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:52 am
Smile I didn't have enough patience to make all of the possible options. Sorry!!

I love the crisp creases on shirt sleeves, even polo sleeves, and how the collars lay flat when ironed. I don't get that from hanging things to dry. I have figured out how to iron sitting down and find it a relaxing part of my day, so I am not looking to stop.

I don't like ironing too much at once, but ironing what we need for the next day, having everything ready and looking crisp, I do appreciate. It helps the next day to get off to a good start.

I may be the only one who feels this way though. LOL
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry