Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Ironing, do you, don't you, does it make a difference?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

I iron everything, including underclothing.
I don't iron at all  
 55%  [ 49 ]
I only iron my husband's shirts  
 12%  [ 11 ]
I iron my children's school clothing school clothing and my husband's shirts  
 20%  [ 18 ]
I iron my children's school clothing but ot my husbannd's shirts  
 3%  [ 3 ]
I only iron Shabbos/yom tov/simcha clothing  
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 89

tizunabi

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:08 am
I don't iron a single thing. That's what DH is for.

I recently convinced him that he doesnt need to iron pajamas and undershirts.

Everything else though...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:13 am
LOL! My MIL used to iron kitchen rags (the CL ironed everything else). She has totally given up on all that, as she can't find a CL willing/able to go where she lives now.

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:11 am
I iron everything besides for underwear. I try to do 3 times a week so that it doesn't pile up too high!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:17 am
curlgirl wrote:
What do I vote if I don't iron but my DH does?

(A shirt for himself every day and very occasionally something for me or one of the kids)

And OOC- all of you who iron your DH's shirts- who was doing your DH's ironing before he got married?
It could have been mother, cleaning lady, the cleaners....

milchigs

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:21 am
Yearoldmother wrote:
I'm a spoiled brat LOL

I started working as a secretary at a dry cleaners a few months ago and I get free cleaning. So anything I need ironed goes straight to them Very Happy

coooooool....

mom2cutee

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:43 am
I iron DHs shirts only, none of my stuff needs ironing.

I hate ironing, it is the worst household chore IMO. I push it off until DH has no shirts left.

Yearoldmother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:36 am
curlgirl wrote:
What do I vote if I don't iron but my DH does?

(A shirt for himself every day and very occasionally something for me or one of the kids)

And OOC- all of you who iron your DH's shirts- who was doing your DH's ironing before he got married?

I'm the spoiled brat who works at the dry cleaners but before I did I did the ironing most of the time. Usually just dh's shirts sometimes my dds dresses. A skirt or 2 of mine. If I didn't have time my dh would dO it.

HE used to iron shirts before we were married and for the first 6 months we were married he cont to do so.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:08 am
curlgirl wrote:

Their mothers?
What's OOC?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:34 am
out of curiosity

Monsey Mama

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:34 am
I have my cleaning lady iron everything but undies, socks and pjs,etc. When my ckeaning lady misses, I redo before I let my kids wear. DH sends out his shirts. I have all my daughters uniform skirts repleated every week. I, myself, repleat a young girl's uniform skirt because her Mom is not around and her skirt looks like a pillow case.

With cargo pants, I use a smaller ironing board and do the pockets first. I agree polo shirts look terrible when they are not ironed. I am responsible for how my kids look when they leave my house.

It does make a difference.

adina

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 6:59 am
dh's shirts go to the cleaners. I iron all kids shirts, pants and skirts. And my own stuff. When we lived in israel dh bought an expensive steam iron and did his shirts himself.
FTR ironing polo shirts and sweaters takes seconds and make a big diff in how a person looks.
I don't iron undies and linen but my friend does and she spends most of her life with an iron in her hand.

celesteno

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:21 am
Most of my husband's shirts and pants go to the dry cleaners so I don't have to iron those. We don't have kids yet, but I would definitely iron their clothes. My mother was very big on every piece of clothing (undershirts and pjs not included) being freshly pressed before wearing. I also iron any of my clothes that have any wrinkles before I wear them (My work clothes tend to be dry cleaned as well, but in case they're not I always iron them).

e1234

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:27 am
dh also wears a jacket and I have not ironed since shana rishona

my third grade daughter wants to know how other girls shirts look better and I think I will teach her to iron hers as I don't have time for the task

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 8:56 am
My mother always emphasized, when I went shopping, that I was to try to find clothes that didn't need to be dry cleaned. That included needing to be ironed.

I hate that straight, starched feel. And I would never ever be able to find time to Iron. Three times a week? Are you kidding? And ironing everything besides underwear? Wow.

I'm lucky if everything gets washed and folded. I'm in awe that people actually iron their kids' stuff -- at least if those said kids are little. You really iron toddler clothes? Your kids obviously don't move around like mine do. They'd be wrinkled in half a minute!

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 9:10 am
e1234 wrote:

my third grade daughter wants to know how other girls shirts look better and I think I will teach her to iron hers as I don't have time for the task

Good for you! get your kids as self-sufficient as possible as soon as possible.

Monsey Mama

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 9:44 am
The poll has no option to vote for those that iron almost everything.

My kids also move around and their clothes wrinkle; but their is a big difference where the wrinkles are. For instance polo shirts: collar and buttons will looked like they were pressed while the back of the shirt will be wrinkled. It is only my responsibility that my family leaves the house looking fine. I would be ashamed if they went out looking unkempt. I have never told my kids not to play so their clothes will stay nice.

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:06 am
I almost never iron.

DH's dress shirts go to the shirt laundry.

If DS needs a dress shirt, I'll iron that, or if a skirt is wrinkled.

I cannot imagine ironing everything. I wouldn't like the way it feels. And I think that things that are not necessarily intended to be pressed, like polo shirts, look awful when ironed.

suzyq

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:18 am
We moved to our house in January - I have no clue where our iron ended up in the move. I don't buy stuff that needs to be ironed (I try to fold and hang stuff right away from the dryer), and my DH's shirts go to the cleaners.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:32 am
No one mentioned the shower method of ironing
It really works!
If something is wrinkled, hang it in the bathroom when you take a shower. The stream takes out the wrinkles!

Last edited by amother on Sat, Mar 19 2016, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:43 am
Most of mine and DH's shirts are wrinkle-free fabric, so I just take it out of the dryer slightly damp and hang it up to finish drying.

Most of DS's clothes don't need ironing except one or two shirts that he wears on Yontif, and some plaid weekday shirts I got as gifts (I try to buy clothes that are as low-maintenance as possible!). They're so tiny that the hanging trick doesn't really work, so I'll iron them if I get the time, otherwise, DS wears something else.

I love the feeling of a freshly starched shirt, and when I was in high school, I liked waking up a few minutes earlier just to do a quick pass over my uniform blouse and skirt pleats with an iron. I helped get my younger brothers ready for school, and it was a great incentive for them on cold mornings -- "Get out of bed quickly! I just ironed your shirt and it's all warm and yummy! Quick! Quick!" Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry