Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to deal with aggression?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 7:47 am
My daughter is only 18 mo but already shows some character. Whenever she is upset or someone makes her upset, she pats (or should I say, slaps?) it/them. It does not hurt but I can see how it can become a problem. She is my second child. My first one was different - very peaceful and shy. Even if he did something like that, he might do it once or twice and would get scared if I said no and made an angry face.

She, OTOH, is more active and is not so easily scared. She has a very strong and determined character. She usually hits out of frustration, or hits back if she gets hurt. WHat do I do now? I hold her hand, say no, make her stroke instead of hit. What else?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:16 am
Just remove her from the situation. Again, and again, and again. Eventually, it will sink in. And don't get frustrated (easy to say, right?)

Your second child is normal. Your first is not. Obviously that's not a bad thing for your first, but just know that it's not that your second is "aggressive." This is age appropriate behavior.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 11:53 am
She may just be aggravated since she can't communicate so well yet. That's very normal. Just keep your cool @ her & tell her what to say.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 12:46 pm
Hashemlovesme wrote:
She may just be aggravated since she can't communicate so well yet. That's very normal. Just keep your cool @ her & tell her what to say.

You might be right. Today she started hitting her brother all of a sudden and I realized - it was right before dinner - that she is very hungry. She stopped as soon as she saw food. So she is just hitting instead of whining.

As far as number one is concerned, none of his teachers ever said that something was wrong with him. I can see myself that he is well integrated and developed. He had his share of aggression (especially when the baby was born) but it was not so striking as with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics