Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How to braid a round challah - Quick & Easy demo
1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 1:43 pm
This demo makes it so easy

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 2:05 pm
Thanks that was really informative!

bubble gum

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 7:32 pm
I learned the six-braid round a long time ago (in camp I think!) and used it for years...but you know what I find comes out 10x prettier? I just make 3 looooong strands, braid it into one long braid (you need a nice length of counter to do this) and then roll it around beehive style (the way you normally would with a single strand to make a classic R"H challah). It comes out really, really beautiful. The only tip I would mention, is that its very hard to braid such long strands, so I lay all three next to eachother, without pinching them together at the end. Then I start the braid from the middle...braid from the middle to one end and pinch closed. Then braid from the middle to the other end and pinch closed. Then roll up beehive style. Am I making sense? Its not a genius idea, but if you've never tried it, you should. Once I discovered that way, I never looked back. Comes out gorgeous every time.

bashinda

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:32 pm
I've done that. Actually I've done that with rolls for a sheva brachos as well. Looks wonderful.

mommy's daughter

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 10:21 pm
sorry but I find mines easier and nicer with 6 and 4

if u do the tic tac toe and add 1 strip in the middle horizontal and vertical then braid all 4 sides then underlap all 4 edges its much nicer and with 4 u do 2 vertical then 1 horizontal then 1vertical in center on top of the horizontal braid the 2 side underlap the 4 edges and put in a bekeleh its much easier

bashinda

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 10:37 pm
why are you sorry? to each his own.

What you're describing would have to be shown to me before I would even attempt it because I'm a visual person so written instructions for things like braiding challahs or crafts just confuse me, but if I see someone do something and then do it myself I get it quickly. To me your description looks harder, but that's me. Perhaps other people might find it easier.

But the other method I could pick up pretty easy, and I was more than satisfied with the results. And they make really cute bilkelach.

Tamar Ansh has both methods in her challah book, btw.

shanie5

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 12:21 am
What mommy's daughter described is what is in the video. The only difference is the way u lay the ropes of dough out. Its actually easier mommy's daughter's way.

lay 2 ropes down vertically. lay 2 more ropes across them horizontally-so it looks like a tic-tac-toe board.

now lay one more rope vertically on top, and the last horizontally over that.

This way it ends up the same as the video, but no weaving the ropes before braiding.

Then braid like in the video.

Its a similar concept with the four braid too.

bashinda

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 8:55 am
Sounds a lot more confusing to me than making a three-braided challah and then making it round. [: Again, that's why Hashem made different people in this world, right?

Ahuva

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 6:32 pm
My Bubby would just make 6 balls of dough and arrange them in the baking pan like a flower. around and one in the center. They grow together very nicely. I do some the tic tac toe way and some like Bubby a''h.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 10:34 pm
I have always made my round challahs with the 4 strand method - I like how nice the 6 strands look - I might try it this yr!!! ty for the video link!!!!!

egam

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 10:57 pm
I’m just curious what recipe she is using for her dough. It looked so easy to work with. Anybody knows?

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:15 am
egam wrote:
I’m just curious what recipe she is using for her dough. It looked so easy to work with. Anybody knows?

yes - I noticed the texture as well -nice and stretchy and not over floured and very smooth and pliable.

I think the trick is - that the dough should still be a little sticky after mixing - once it rises a bit the stickiness becomes less ad the dough becomes very pliable.....

often I think my dough needs more flour than called for bc too sticky in the mixer - but when I restrain myself and dont add more flour - the end results yeild a GREAT dough (I use diff challah recipes = but this goes for all of them,...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 1:30 pm
egam wrote:
The link to the recipe is here.
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=8

http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=2

egam

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 4:25 pm
ra_mom, thanks for the link.
Muffin, you are right. Restraint is the key, and not only in challah baking. Wink
Ksiva v'hasima tova and happy baking to all!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:23 pm

I like this Jamie Geller one. Sounds like some of the techniques are the same.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 8:01 pm
thanx that was really cool! I might even try baking challah one time...

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 6:30 am
I usually make my round challahs on baking sheets. I don't have round pans. Is there any point in trying this with on baking sheets? It doesn't look like they will be round without the shape of the pan to hold them, will they?

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 7:48 am
Liba wrote:
I usually make my round challahs on baking sheets. I don't have round pans. Is there any point in trying this with on baking sheets? It doesn't look like they will be round without the shape of the pan to hold them, will they?

You could buy a few disposable round pans and use baking papers so you can reuse them.

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 8:10 am
Smile I would rather not, especially since the dough is made and fully risen, just needs shaping and to go into the oven.

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 10:08 am
B"H they came out rather nice looking, at least as round as my regular spiral method, which doesn't mean baking pan round, but round enough and pretty. I am not sure that it is worth the extra work, and my next batch may be the regular way, but it is nice and the kids had fun watching. Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads