Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Garbage in Kitchen Stinks

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:00 pm
How do you keep your garbage can with garbage from stinking up the kitchen? Other parts of the house are starting to smell too. I've tried baking soda, vinegar- which may help temporarily. What else can I do besides emptying out the garbage often?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:03 pm
Does it have a cover ?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:10 pm
How often do you take out the garbage? I find that makes the biggest difference. Make sure the can itself is always clean, including the lid. I use scented bags, which help a little too.

SingALong

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:41 pm
what type of garbage can do you have? are there any grooves or tiny places where something may have leaked into it and cause the smell?

I have a garbage can built into the ktichen cabinet. often food/garbage will spill into cabinet sides/floor. once in a awhile I remove the entire cabinet door to get the cabinet super clean. about once every 2 weeks I clean out the actual garbage can. I also try not to leave garbage overnight.

Lefty

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 5:53 pm
Basic things that leave behind a very strong odor are onions, garlic, dirty diapers and such. those things I put into a ziplock sandwitch bag before tossing into garbage bin. It really helps reduce bad smells.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 6:10 pm
It has a cover, no particular grooves where things could fall. I use scented bags too, but the smell just penetrates right through and the can stinks as well as garbage bag itself. I don't take out the garbage so often-only when it's full. That's probably the biggest reason, but if there's very little garbage it seems like a waste to change it.
How often do you empty the garbage?
How do you clean the garbage can?

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 7:24 pm
put any organic material (peels, diapers, leftovers, spoiled food...) in a closed bag before tossing. also use a cover for the bin.

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 10:00 pm
If it takes long to fill, get a smaller can and smaller bags so that you will empty it more often.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 10:05 pm
Take it out very often. I take mine out at least twice a day. It's usually full but even if it's not. Think about it - is the savings of one garbage bag worth more than a stinky house? Also make sure to wash the actual garbage can at least once a week.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 11:55 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Take it out very often. I take mine out at least twice a day. It's usually full but even if it's not. Think about it - is the savings of one garbage bag worth more than a stinky house? Also make sure to wash the actual garbage can at least once a week.

How do you wash yours?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
de_goldy wrote:

How do you wash yours?

I either scrub it out with murphey's oil and then rinse (in the bathrub) or I hose it down outside.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 2:54 am
Yes to all that. And you can spritz it with Windex.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 11:11 am
Lysol works too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry