Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Room smells funny and I dont know why!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 3:50 pm
My dd is 2.5 and her room always smells funny! She's still in diapers but I try to vacuum the room and wash her bedding often but it still seems to smell weird. Even when all her bedding is in the laundry it smells. Do crib mattresses absorb smells?? I haven't found a good solution to this (and no I dont want to use those artificial air refresheners..) any ideas?

lilacdreams

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 3:56 pm
check the lightbulb! I once or twice had a weird smell - and it was the lightbulb!!

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 7:45 pm
it would help if you could describe the smell. chemical, sour, toilet-like, like throw-up, like mold? Yes, mattresses can absorb odors, as can anything porous including carpet, unsealed wood floors, plaster. It could even be a dead mouse behind the wall, though that smell would disappear after a while. Do you have an air conditioner in the room? The filter could need washing.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 7:47 pm
dup

Last edited by zaq on Mon, Sep 19 2011, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 7:52 pm
First, you have to locate the source. Follow your nose and sniff every surface in the room. Empty the drawers and closet and sniff them and the contents, too. Bookcases, same thing. remediation will depend on what stinks. Opening windows and exposing materials to fresh air and sunlight helps a lot. The cool weather this time of year is ideal for that sort of thing.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 9:11 pm
it smells sour ... kind of like a faint bathroom smell. as if there's a dirty diaper in the room but there's not!!

bluebird

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
it smells sour ... kind of like a faint bathroom smell. as if there's a dirty diaper in the room but there's not!!

Are you sure? Kids sometimes shove weird things into weird places.

You could try taking the crib mattress out of that room and see if you can smell the odor in the mattress outside of the room. If you can, consider having the carpet cleaned. It's possible that something soaked into it and is causing the smell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry