Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Amother response to children in shopping carts- safety

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 7:19 pm
continuation from this thread, http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....62494 amother enabled:
about this article:
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

I think its overdone. soon mothers will be reprimanded for taking their kids shopping with them at all.
I think basic safety should be kept in mind, but not clipping the carseat to the top??? whyever not?
keep the baby strapped in and the handle open, if the carseat would fall, (and it wont) the handle would block the baby, and the baby is strapped in so wont fall out, or get hit in any way, b/c the sides of the carseat are protecting him.
and why would the carseat fall out anyway? have you ever heard of that happening? are any of those 21,000 ER visits from falls from shopping carts b/c the carseat fell out?

and why would a 3 ft fall cause such horrific injuries that the child is not expected to recover? shock
a bruise, a bump, maybe a concussion. thats not:
Quote:
One of the most horrifying calls I ever had as an EMT involved a two year old boy who had fallen 3 feet from a shopping cart, landing head first onto the concrete floor below. The child’s injuries were horrific and he is not expected to ever make a full recovery.

(my child fell out from a shopping cart while standing in the back section, without holding on. she got a bump on her head. I've been very careful since then, but thats not exactly "horrific")

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 7:31 pm
That same article described the force involved when a head goes straight down three feet into concrete. I have witnessed the incredibly horrific effects of brain injuries. Be thankful that you haven't.

A quick Google search confirmed that this can be very dangerous. You can't imagine anything or anyone mistakenly jostling a shopping cart? It happens all the time. Down goes baby, car seat and all. A fall a few feet is enough to cause bleeding in the brain, which can cause permanent brain injury. As can a concussion, which for some reason you downplay. You want to bury your head in the sand, go ahead. May as well get rid of car seats too, feed your toddler whole grapes, and let your kids eat out of the sandbox.

Sorry, I have zero tolerance for negligence at the expense of children.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
continuation from this thread, http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....62494 amother enabled:
about this article:
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

I think its overdone. soon mothers will be reprimanded for taking their kids shopping with them at all.
I think basic safety should be kept in mind, but not clipping the carseat to the top??? whyever not?
keep the baby strapped in and the handle open, if the carseat would fall, (and it wont) the handle would block the baby, and the baby is strapped in so wont fall out, or get hit in any way, b/c the sides of the carseat are protecting him.
and why would the carseat fall out anyway? have you ever heard of that happening? are any of those 21,000 ER visits from falls from shopping carts b/c the carseat fell out?

and why would a 3 ft fall cause such horrific injuries that the child is not expected to recover? shock
a bruise, a bump, maybe a concussion. thats not:
Quote:
One of the most horrifying calls I ever had as an EMT involved a two year old boy who had fallen 3 feet from a shopping cart, landing head first onto the concrete floor below. The child’s injuries were horrific and he is not expected to ever make a full recovery.

(my child fell out from a shopping cart while standing in the back section, without holding on. she got a bump on her head. I've been very careful since then, but thats not exactly "horrific")

Since you're such an expert in physics, and a 3 foot drop is "no big deal," let's run a little experiment. Hold a child upside down, 3 feet above a concrete floor, and then drop him. Please report back to us regarding the "minor" injuries he suffers.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 8:00 pm
so heres a funny question.....ya know that strap in the seat meant for you to buckle your child with? am I the only one who makes it bigger so that I can buckle it around the car seat?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:23 am
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/art.....-Cart

MrsDash

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:52 am
estherkohn wrote:
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/144953/175/Infant-Dies-After-Falling-Out-of-Shopping-Cart

Dear OP,

I truly hope this tragedy clarifies the dangers of putting a car seat on top of a shopping cart.

Shame on you for trying to rationalize your negligence, which you were obviously embarrassed about seeing that you created a new thread just so you can post anonymously. (And yes, the story that the EMT wrote is 100% accurate.)

Thank you estherkohn for sharing this story. It's a shame that a tragedy of this magnitude has to happen before other parents think twice about doing this again. Sadly, there are still parents out there who will not take this seriously, and continue with their negligent ways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics