Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child with sugar cravings

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 11:11 am
Does anybody have a child like mine who craves sugar almost daily?

We don't eat a lot of sugar or sweet things around here. About twice a week when my son comes home from school he's cranky and demands I give him candy or something sweet. I could tell it was a real craving and not just brattiness. Last time I gave him a little raisin box and it satisfied him and he was in a better mood afterward, but usually he'll take a fruit and then keep asking for more sweet things with no mood improvement.

Anybody ever hear of anything like that?

** A few years ago we did the NAET allergy testing with him and sugar was a big one. He couldn't get past it and eventually we gave up. He also has pretty bad eczema.

Please give me your best mom-detective advice! Thank you!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 11:16 am
I had this very often until I had dd. I would get tired, cranky, and if I didnt find sugar it could go as far as being horrible and/or needing to lie down. Look into hypoglykemia. My problem gets worse when I a slimmer.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:56 pm
Is he eating enough animal fat?

Sweet butter, and especially steak fat?

Steak fat is good for dry skin and a lot of things. Also give him daily yoghurt. I am not saying to give him tons of fat, just a bit more than before.

I assume you are giving him his vitamins.

Raisins are great for this; just know they can rot teeth a little, if they are the last thing you eat.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:14 pm
I can't say we have steak too often. Smile Or butter or yogurt either.

I give him a good quality multi everyday.

Of course his eczema is his main issue but I really want to stop this sugar thing and moodiness/(includes meltdowns).

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:47 pm
Please give him steak with some fat, sweet butter, and yoghurt for three weeks. In modest quantities.

Make a note of the date, and review what you see.

I think you will see improvement. I am not talking about magic, and you will still see the dermatologist and all, but please try this.

There is nothing weird or offbeat about steak, butter and yoghurt.

Yes, steak is expensive, but try it. A good cut. A little bit. Hugs.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:49 pm
I actually read something about allergies causing sugar cravings. Something about- the person ingests food he is allergic to, triggering a chemical reaction in the (adrenal?) glands that causes sugar cravings. It might be baloney, I dunno. Did you look up different ways to manage sugar cravings in general? Not letting his sugar get too low by eating regular, balanced meals and snacks, reducing stress, etc.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 2:14 pm
I found this book right after I posted: http://www.amazon.com/dp/07611.....t_tmb

After I read it, I'll take your advice, Dolly. Thanks. He will be having meat in the next few weeks pretty often (yomtov). Unless the above book convinces me out of it, I'm starting an elimination diet for him over the next few weeks, so I can't try the yogurt and butter yet, because they're dairy.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 2:52 pm
Butter and meat? Together ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics