Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
I have a recipe-now what??

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:26 pm
how many loaves does 5lb of flour make? when do I take challah? with a bracha? whats the bracha exactly? how big a piece do I use for a large round challah?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:33 pm
5 lbs = 8 challos in my house, though some may make fewer, some more.

I let the dough rise, take challah by saying the bracha "baruch... l'hafrish chalah [some say min ha isa]" taking off a big handful, say a yehi ratzon for the rebuilding of the beis hamikdash. If you are burning the challah you took, spread it thin on a piece of foil, if not bag and freeze or double bag and throw it out (ask your rav what to do with it!).

After taking the challah I cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and then shape each one into a challah. If you want bigger challos make six pieces, smaller make 10. Smile

September June

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:34 pm
5 lb makes about 10 challahs depending on the size.
Separate the challah right before you are ready to shape your loaves.
You make a beracha when you separate the challah
...Lihafreesh Challah min haeesa
Then burn the piece of dough.

Challahs double in size when it rises in baking so use half the amount of dough you think you'll need.
If you're making really big challah you may only get between 6-8.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:40 pm
I say le hafrish challah min ha issa and then pause, take the dough and hold it up and say 'harei zo challah.' I learned that this is an important step because the challah taken is now treif and must not be eaten or come into contact with anything. I would not recommend burning it unless you clearly understand the implications of screwing up your oven's and possibly food's kashrut because of it. double wrapping it and throwing it out is a better option because it is simple and accomplishes the mitzvah without having to have a treif fork that either has to be koshered or treated like treif except for burning challah.

my most sincere thought is that you learn the minhag of whoever teaches you the mitzvah and that is how you do it. my learning partner has 4 girls and all six (including her and her mother) all learned various different things when learning to take challah. none of them are wrong,t here are just different ways to do it.

September June

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:45 pm
I learned it has to be inedible before throwing it away.
I wrap it in foil and burn it on the gas burner. There's no kashrus problem since its wrapped and I don't cook anything directly on the burner.
You can burn it in the oven as well but it must be wrapped WELL and there cannot be any food in the oven with it (only if its uncovered I think).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:53 pm
naomi2 wrote:
how many loaves does 5lb of flour make? when do I take challah? with a bracha? whats the bracha exactly? how big a piece do I use for a large round challah?

Five loaves.
I've heard you take challah as soon as you have five lbs. dough, I've also heard after it rises. CYLOR.
Yes, five lbs. and you take with a bracha.
The nusach is asher kideshanu...lehafrish challa (some add "min ha'isa." CYLOR)
Do you mean how much challah, or how big a piece of the dough? If the latter, divide by five. If your round pan seems significantly bigger than your standard loaf pan, take some off of one of the other fifths.

Hatzlacha. You'll get the hang of it and then get hooked!

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:55 pm
thanx all! do I say asher kiddishanu bemitzvosav....? also if I halve the recipe for 3-4 challos, do I still take challah? with a bracha?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:58 pm
how many cups of flour? from a bit over 8 until 12 and a bit, or 16 depending on the shita, generally one takes challah without a bracha.

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:02 pm
I dont know how many cups just that it's 5lb flour. I chose the recipe cuz it looked easy to measure Wink

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:03 pm
Five pounds you need to take challah with a bracha. The question was, how much flour is in the smaller batch, weight or cups...

September June

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:04 pm
5 lbs. is 20 cups of flour, you definitely take off challah with a bracha according to all opinions.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:10 pm
naomi2 wrote:
thanx all! do I say asher kiddishanu bemitzvosav....? also if I halve the recipe for 3-4 challos, do I still take challah? with a bracha?

Smile I am tired, I read this as you have a recipe for 3-4 challos.

If you make half a batch of challah you generally need to take challah, but no bracha.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 7:41 pm
September June wrote:
5 lbs. is 20 cups of flour, you definitely take off challah with a bracha according to all opinions.

I don't know what each bag actually measures out to but according to nutrition info there's actually just a bit less than 18 cups per bag.

September June

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 7:52 pm
The nutrition facts is measured by weight (grams).
Flour is measured by volume (cups).
Since flour is light there's a discrepancy between the weight and volume.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 8:04 pm
I never get over 16 cups to a 5 lb. bag of (bread) flour. Almost exactly 16.

Cutie1

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:35 pm
I just cleaned 2 huge family packs of cutlets..now how should I make them. I want to serve them as a second main ..when I serve my minute steak roast..I'm having about 10 kids and 5 adults

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 27 2011, 9:32 am
Cutie1 wrote:
I just cleaned 2 huge family packs of cutlets..now how should I make them. I want to serve them as a second main ..when I serve my minute steak roast..I'm having about 10 kids and 5 adults

I'd start a new thread. And welcome!
Quick answer: I coat them in oil, spices and flour, then cornflake crumbs and bake. We're not duck sauce people. But again, either start a new thread or if you're not sure how to do it, search for chicken cutlets and revive an old thread with your question.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads