Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have experience with a FTT (failure to thrive) child?

Hashemlovesme

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 3:15 pm
Please PM me. My ds is almost a year & has just barely doubled his birth weight. I don't think the (gastro) doctor he is seeing is helping at all & feel the need to take the next step on our own & am looking for info. Any advice or info is appreciated. TIA!

btw, I am in E"Y

Liba

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 4:40 pm
I have lots of different experiences, the FTT child who ate and ate and didn't gain weight, the FTT child who nursed but wouldn't eat solids and the FTT kid who couldn't eat without getting food into their lungs.

#1 got a diagnosis and pills to help her digest and is B"H healthy now, no more pills even, #2 we gave her high fat, high calorie drinks and foods and she is B"H now a healthy kid on a regular diet, though a bit picky, #3 is still mostly tube fed.

ElTam

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 9:36 pm
Have they ruled out food allergies?

There is a great supplement called duocal. We give it to our FTT child, mixed in with his drinks.

We also fry as much of his food as possible in oil.

For a while, our baby was on cyproheptadine, which is an old-school antihistimine. It's safe for little ones and has the side effect that it makes them very hungry.

There doesn't seem to be one simple answer.

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 5:06 am
We couldn't get Duocal in Israel, nor could we get Periactin, which I think is the name brand for the appetite stimulant you are discussing. We used both for my oldest when we lived in the US, but neither are available here for OP unless things have changed over the last couple years. Sad

ally

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 5:10 am
Is polycose the same thing? (They have it in superpharm)

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 5:16 am
Polycose is just refined medical sugar. Duocal is fat and carbohydrates together.

ElTam

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 10:10 pm
You can get duocal on amazon.com. I assume they ship to Israel.

small bean

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 10:41 pm
I have one like that. What kind of tests did the gastro do? tell us more about your child?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics