Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14-month-old DD terrified of baths

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:38 pm
My 14-month-old DD is terrified of baths to the point that she hurts herself trying to climb out, lunging into the side of the bathtub. She spends the entire bath screaming in abject terror. She is fine as soon as bathtime is over, but she starts screaming as soon as she hears the bathwater running.

How can I help her not to be afraid, or at least to calm down enough for me to wash her sufficiently?

Tonight I had to take her out with shampoo still in her hair. Sad

gp2.0

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:43 pm
It's a stage that passes really quickly (lasted maybe 3 weeks with my DD) as soon as they see how much fun water can be.

One idea that worked for me was to let the water run (a tiny trickle) and DD loved to play with that. Then I got a bunch of exciting bath toys and she was hooked. Plain old plastic cups are still her fave, but she quite enjoys a little floating boat, bucket and various other toys.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:30 pm
Tonight was the first time in a good two months that DD didn't cry through her entire bath. We were just getting through them as quickly as possible.

One thing that seemed to help is reading books with her in the tub. I took off my socks and skirt once or twice and got in with her, which also helped - and it made it easier to get her washed.

But today something just seemed to click, and after the usual initial round of screeching, she calmed down and started splashing. I hope this is a sign of good things to come! Be patient, it's a phase that may end without much intervention on your part.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:43 pm
This too shall pass... My dd was also terrified. The ped told to bath her as unfrequently as possible.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:47 pm
Another thing: put a non-skid bath mat in. DD felt more secure sitting and standing on that.

ElTam

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 9:51 am
Was just reading that for little ones, bath 2x a week is fine.

My baby is like this. Either DH or I take him in the shower with us. It helps a little. Oldest child was the same way; she outgrew it although she still hates to get her face wet when she washes her hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics