Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help! 2 yr old doesn't want to sleep in crib

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 7:56 am
My 2 yr old goes to bed happily (on most days) in her crib, but then she wakes up several hours later, stands in her crib and shouts "out crib! out crib!" and no matter what I do I can't get her to lie back down. So what I have been doing is taking her out and putting her back to sleep on a matress on the floor in my room. Now I know this isn't the best habit to get her into, but frankly, I am in my 9th month of pregnancy and too tired to come up with another somlution on my own. Any suggestions?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 8:04 am
Move her into a toddler bed. This way she won't feel any ownership over the crib when the new baby arrives and gets put into it.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 8:09 am
she has loved her crib until now so dh is nervous that if we move her to a toddler bed and she isn't ready then she won't sleep in it either.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 2:41 am
mommyofsix wrote:
she has loved her crib until now so dh is nervous that if we move her to a toddler bed and she isn't ready then she won't sleep in it either.

if she's already happy on a mattress on the floor, it sounds like she's ready for a bed. Does she stay on the mattress til morning? What does she do when she wakes up?

shabri

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 6:15 am
Move her into a bed. I always move my kids before 2 (abt 22 mos or so) esp if there is another one coming

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 9:52 am
maybe put her in a real bed with bars on the side. thats what I did and it worked out well B"H.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 10:04 am
How 'bout a mattress on the floor in HER room.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 6:25 am
So we ended up putting away her crib and moving her to a youth bed, which she loves. The problem is that she is still waking in the middle of the night, only now she comes into my bed and since we also have a beautiful new little baby in the picture, it makes for very little sleep for the mommy. I am not sure what to do at this point - she literally climbs into bed with me and goes back to sleep. Any suggestions?

menucha

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 8:37 am
Have Abba bring her back to her bed? We are going through the same thing over here! Sometimes I don't mind but other times Abba tucks my two year old back in their own bed.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 8:53 am
Unfortunately my husband is a very sound sleeper. SOmetimes it is even hard for me to wake him up. So even though I have trained my kids to go to him, not me, in the middle of the night, I am still woken up and usually so tired that sometimes it is easier just to let her into my bed. KWIM?

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 9:34 am
Is your house safe enough that securing your room door is an option?

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 9:39 am
mommyofsix wrote:
So we ended up putting away her crib and moving her to a youth bed, which she loves. The problem is that she is still waking in the middle of the night, only now she comes into my bed and since we also have a beautiful new little baby in the picture, it makes for very little sleep for the mommy. I am not sure what to do at this point - she literally climbs into bed with me and goes back to sleep. Any suggestions?

Lock her door. My oldest finally climbed out of his crib at 2years9months and was hapy to sleep on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed in his room... but he would get out of bed, so we started locking the door (the key is in the lock, so we could unlock it quickly if needed). At first, he would try the door and cry, but now he barely tries anymore and reluctantly goes back to bed. One day, I think he'll just give up trying and we'll quit locking the door.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 9:40 am
she'll just scream outside our door until everyone else wakes up.

SavtaHelen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 9:41 am
Usually a few nights of very calm but very firm guidelines ("everyone has their own bed to sleep in") and gently but silently putting her back into her bed will do the trick. My parenting counsellor used to say taht you put the kid back as if you were returning a book to the shelf, no emotional connection whatsoever, no anger, no anxiety, no pity, no guilt. You have no doubt that the book will remain on the shelf. Transmit that same message to your child by your body language and attitude.

It is hard in the short term but pays off in the long..

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 1:47 pm
I thought about doing that but she has been waking up when she hears the baby cry and coming into my bed while I am feeding the baby so by the time I could firmly put her back in her bed, she is already asleep in mine.

ddsw

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 1:56 pm
try explaining that she has to stay in her bed while it is dark outside. once it gets light then she can come into your bed. I do that with my 3 yr old. show her the window that it is dark and mommy's bed is only for light. she might come in at 5 or 6 in the morning but that's better than at 3
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics