Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Beware Old Books - Book Lice Infestation

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 7:08 pm
I bought a few old books from a library and now my apartment is infested with Book Lice!

Check all used and old books/magazines for book lice. The female can lay eggs and reproduce without a male!

http://www.asktheexterminator......shtml

At wits end

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 7:47 pm
I HATE BOOKLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting to get them exterminated again (my house is damp and it's been a couple of yrs since last time so can't complain...), but need the house completely tidy which in our current wet weather is extremely difficult as kids are in inside messing, and everyone gets kind of slow, before we can do it.
I keep all started packets and other foodstuffs sealed or in the fridge, I check my crockery before use etc etc.

Then again, I do prefer booklice to rats and mice which other houses near me have been invaded by, so I guess I'll stop moaning and 'enjoy' them Wink

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 8:21 pm
How much does it cost to exterminate?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 8:45 pm
Depends on where you live, also on whether your council will provide a cheaper service. Mine is around 50 pounds, but the exterminator told me that regular companies charge in the hundreds, if I recall correctly.

Ask around. I also found that most extermination places don't deal with it and most have never heard of it.
There are a couple of things they can do, I don't remember what they're called, but the one which technically shouldn't have worked as well lasted far longer than the other. Oh yeah, the different treatments are different prices too..

Daven hard and do your hishtadlus.
I remember freezing various things last time, which were stored in the dampest cupboards, like the baby gym (I have a big chest freezer), before I allowed the children to use them in a different room. I remember thinking 'what chutzpa!' when I saw them running around on the de-humidifier LOL

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 1:35 pm
So I will have it for the rest of my life?????

What about when my kids get married, anything they bring with them can travel? One lice can reproduce without boundaries? I am so scared. I am moving and I don't want to take them with me. I have down blanket that is moldy and I think I should throw it out since book lice like mold.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 8:19 pm
Good News!!!!

I called a local exterminator and he told me to turn up the heat to dry out the place. He said the chemicals don't work.

I took out an electric heater and turned it on and closed the door in one room for a few hours, then did the same to another room. I would turn up the heat but my landlord only turns it on for two hours at night.

I am so happy! Ice cream
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry