Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Touching self = behavior problems?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 12:21 pm
imasinger wrote:
amother wrote:
intrigued wrote:
Is there a reason why only your Dh noticed this? Who bathes him? Once your Dh pointed it out do you also see it? As you wrote "apparently". What exactly does this mean?

Dh bathes him, that's why he sees it often. He's also much more observant than I am. I haven't seen it since he mentioned it two days ago, but he says it happens often in the bath, and he's seen in a couple of times when he had clothes (and a diaper) on.

5*Mom -- That's exactly what I think! But how am I supposed to get him to one? His doctor said he's physically fine. Do I call them back and ask for a referral, just based on my own gut instinct?

Yes! BTDT. Also, check around to see who does Early Intervention evaluations in your neck of the woods.

I'm confused. In our "neck of the woods" (Baltimore), EI is usually a team of a few people -- speech, pt, and ot. Is there also a psych EI? Or something else?

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 12:36 pm
In my experience, the team includes someone with some psychological or developmental pediatric (which includes psychological assessment) background. Check what there is in Baltimore.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 2:51 pm
Have you had your son checked for a yeast infection? Its a common side effect of antibiotics, and giving probiotics after the fact won't prevent it. Taking probiotics on a regular basis, when not taking meds will prevent it. You would also be rubbing and pulling at yourself if you itched all day.

being entertained at school all day, probably helps keep his mind off of itching if its that. Also Many kids are easier in shool then at home, and tantrums in 3 year olds are pretty normal. as is pleasuring in 3 year olds.

faigie

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 4:42 pm
@Mommy3.5 BRILLIANT idea!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 5:52 pm
OP here. Wow, would never have thought of that! Strange question -- how do you get tested for that? I remember when I thought I had a yeast infection I got an over the counter test. But ds is never going to pee in a cup like I did...is there another way to test?

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:31 pm
Ok, I've been confused since this thread started. I have three boys and I've never seen any of them touching self. No one on this thread even commented on that! I have never heard of a child that age doing that!! Am I just uneducated? Cuz I never thought I was.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:41 pm
OP, outwardly, it would be red and chafed in the area, and a pimply diaper rash, that does not respond to creams. It can be a few days of discomfort prior to outward signs, but A pediatrician could diagnose it. You can use Lotrimin creams or sprays over the counter to treat it. Or get a prescription to nystatin or mycolog or vusion creams.

To the poster who said she never saw little boys touch self. I have a lot (more then 3) younger brothers, and a lot (more then 3 sons) I have seen all of them grab and play with their manly parts from a young age. It is a completely normal thing to do. Little girls do it too. Its not s-xual to them it just feels good.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:23 am
OP, on rethinking it, if you want an evaluation, the best source may be to ask your pediatrician for a reference to a developmental pediatrician.

I hope that your problem is as simple as a yeast infection. Wouldn't that make life easy? However, I know that when I take my kids to see the doctor, such a thing would be noticed. Since your doctor didn't notice anything amiss, either it was just brewing, or it's something else.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:29 am
OP here. All well. I guess it's not a yeast infection. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, and no external symptoms. No diaper rash, nothing.

He didn't have one of these tantrums yesterday (just a normal-sized one), so maybe we're getting back on track? I sure hope so.

bradybunch

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 9:34 am
I am new here but I want to add something to this. One of my sons acts like this when he has not been getting enough sleep. It seems like too simple an answer to explain all of the behavior, but I truly think it does. Is it possible your son was sleeping poorly with his ear infection, and it snowballed into a sleep deficit that is now being corrected? This will happen with my DS (who is 5) if he gets sick. He is otherwise a delightful little boy,but after a few days of sleeping poorly, or recently a few late nights due to Chanukah events, he becomes almost impossible to deal with due to extreme tantrums. (And he also "plays with himself" more when he is in a phase like this, I believe due to the stress and discomfort he is in.)

amother

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:25 am
OP here. Thanks, e, for posting here. And welcome to imamother!

Hm, I wonder. He's always gone to sleep late (around 8:30), but recently has been waking up closer to 6 than to 7. He still takes an afternoon nap, which usually makes up for the late bedtime, but recently the nap has only been about an hour, as opposed to the two hours that came before. Hm.

I could eliminate the nap, I guess, but I'm nervous to do that (for multiple reasons). We'll see...thanks for the food for thought.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers