Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Medela vs Ameda

SS6099

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:31 pm
Why do I get a great flow with the Medela Pump in Style, but not with the Ameda Purely Yours? I got the Ameda free on WIC and would love to use it.
Anyone have advice?

veganesther

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:33 pm
The individual pump lent to you by WIC might be malfunctioning. it might be that a different Ameda pump would work fine.

SS6099

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:37 pm
The motor is nice and strong, and I do get some milk so it's not malfunctioning. I just don't get as good a flow on it.

Queen18

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:43 pm
Are you using the right size suction cups? You need to use that according to your breast and nipple size. Using the wrong ones could affect what you pump.

Are you sure you have it set up correctly?

SS6099

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:51 pm
Very good point. I use the cups it came with. Are there different sizes?

morah

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 3:58 pm
Check the tubing. Frayed tubing can make is harder to extract milk. Replacement tubes cost only a few dollars.

Queen18

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:12 pm
ds6099 wrote:
Very good point. I use the cups it came with. Are there different sizes?

Yes. I got the ultra and it came with 3-4 different sizes. If yours does not come with that you can probably order online.

Mkay

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:40 pm
I found the Medela much better. That fast sucking motion the first minute causes a great leatdown, while the Ameda didn't have that. When I changed from ameda to Madela I cut the nursing time greatly!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 23 2011, 11:13 am
Ameda has that if you set it to be that! That's what I love about the Ameda -- it's completely customizable...you can make it fast and strong or lower it vs the Medela being set on the letdown for the first 2 minutes and you don't have options.

I'd definitely look into flange sizes. I had a large flange needed at the end of my pumping with 1 kid, and I accidentally took it for the first 2 days back at work when I didn't need it and did not get the right suction I needed because it was too large.

Also make sure the tubing is in well and that the valves on the bottom are tight and closed and not flared open at all when not used. A lot of times, switching the valves made a big difference for me in the pumping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics