Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
WWYD, I have been advised to send my son to public school
Previous  1  2  3

sunnshine770

Post Sun, Dec 25 2011, 12:51 am
OP here. I have an interview with the public school Jan. 3, I plan to observe the class and talk with the teachers but I am still not convinced about all of this. So far he is not having issues in Jewish school but I worry about his delay getting worse. His therapist hasn't made a diagnosis yet but does suspect apraxia. There is a Jewish school for special needs children but you need to be in public school at least 6 months to qualify but I have heard that this may not be a good solution as these are special needs children with a host of issues in the same class. The public school class is geared for children with issues like my son.
I really appreciate everyones's imput and yes please pm me if you have more to tell me because I really need help!

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 25 2011, 1:00 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Your son is 3.

Sending him to a public school (provided its the best option for him overall) will allow him to get up to level with his peers and then mainstream.

I know plenty of kids who have/are doing this.

Both my sisters did part day in public school. Both are Torah observant and married frum people.

The goal is to take care of delays early so he can hopefully be mainstreamed as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that Yeshivas will NOT be able to deal with his problems and he may end up in public school full time.

^That.

I know many, many frum kids who spent a year or two in public or other non-Jewish schools b/c of learning issues and are the better for it. Do you realize what problems kids have that have learning issues that DON'T get addressed b/c they stayed in a Jewish school that was not able to deal with their problems? I would actually say that is the greater risk. A kid with unaddressed learning issues is one of the #1 reasons for kids being "at risk".
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers