Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Does it pay to be a haircut lady?

havefaith

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 9:51 pm
There are so many people in the bussiness but it is something that I really enjoy doing-blowing and styling hair.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:29 pm
It pays for sheitels, not so much for hair. You can charge more for sheitels and do it on your own time. Especially cutting, you can charge 10 times as much for cutting a sheitel as you can for hair, and the time spent doing it, plus the clean-up is the exact same for both.
The only thing really worth it for hair is wedding updos, since you can charge a lot for that.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
It pays for sheitels, not so much for hair. You can charge more for sheitels and do it on your own time. Especially cutting, you can charge 10 times as much for cutting a sheitel as you can for hair, and the time spent doing it, plus the clean-up is the exact same for both.
The only thing really worth it for hair is wedding updos, since you can charge a lot for that.

Do you do both that you are saying this? I do hair and sheitels, and this isn't true. It does take less time, less effort, and less skill to cut hair. If you have a large clientele and hired help then usually sheitels are more profitable. You should take into account that it takes time to build it up.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 12:01 am
Depending on where you live, you can get some good $$$ for hair, too.

I cover my head but not hair, and get normal person haircuts, with layering and all. I have friends who even have their hair highlighted! It shows under the hat, right? It's funny, the only people I know who get highlights in their natural hair also wear sheitels sometimes.

Would you be willing to go to people's houses?

curlgirl

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 1:45 am
If you decide to go for it, I recommend taking yourself seriously and advertising as a hair stylist.

Aside from sounding unprofessional, "haircut lady" reminds me of "lunch lady" or worse- "lice lady" shock

Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Do you do both that you are saying this? I do hair and sheitels, and this isn't true. It does take less time, less effort, and less skill to cut hair. If you have a large clientele and hired help then usually sheitels are more profitable. You should take into account that it takes time to build it up.

I used to do both, but I stopped cutting hair because it was not worth it for me at all. I've been doing it for a long time, so maybe that's why I feel like cutting a sheitel is pretty simple, and takes me just about the same time as hair. The only thing harder for me about a sheitel is the client (they are usually more nervous and indecisive) so I may have to go slower sometimes for their benefit. I also live in an area where everyone covers their hair, and women were not willing to pay much more that what they would pay at a supercuts for a haircut. But it's true that at the beginning of my business, I needed both to make it happen, and only after I built it up, was I able to stop the hair cutting.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 9:30 am
curlgirl wrote:

Aside from sounding unprofessional, "haircut lady" reminds me of "lunch lady" or worse- "lice lady" shock

To me it just sounds like what my 18 month old called a hairdresser....

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 9:35 am
I think if you're quick and good then haircuts can also be profitable. Kids always need haircuts.

One of my friends is in the business - it takes her no more than 10 mins to give a great haircut which she charges $15 for. She gets pretty booked up, so that's some decent money.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 9:39 am
Just know, that if you don't have a separate room, hair cutting makes a HUGE mess, so make sure you factor that in.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 9:57 am
I would go for it for sure. It's a great way to make some extra cash.

6coop

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 10:12 am
I started this years ago, and before I had a separate room, I would travel to other people. People loved that, plus it meant that my apartment wasn't always covered in hair. After you build up, you can decide if you want to specialize more with just sheitels, or continue hair and sheitels.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 10:58 am
Are any of you hairstylists in Flatbush? I'm looking for someone to cut my hair (under a wig, but a nice cut) in her home or my home. Does anyone know someone who would do that?

havefaith

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 11:49 pm
6coop wrote:
I started this years ago, and before I had a separate room, I would travel to other people. People loved that, plus it meant that my apartment wasn't always covered in hair. After you build up, you can decide if you want to specialize more with just sheitels, or continue hair and sheitels.
did you clean up the mess afterwards?

6coop

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 11:17 am
havefaith wrote:
6coop wrote:
did you clean up the mess afterwards?

I traveled around with a box of disposable plastic tablecloths which I would lay down on the floor under where we would work. I would also lay a napkin on a counter or table where I might put things down. Of course, then I would carefully pick up the tablecloth and napkins and dispose of them, but that was it.

No matter how I careful I was, some hair would inevitably spread beyond the perimeter of the plastic, whether by my or the client's shoes (or children), by it being blown off by the blow dryer, or by the person brushing themselves off. Hair can also get on the chair where the client sits. I never felt any need to start sweeping and mopping up all of that too and no one ever complained about it. Many were even thrilled with the courtesy plastic I provided.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers