Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Refuses the bottle!!! need advise!!!

Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 5:19 am
baby just turned 1 yr, so should be in toddler thread Smile

I nurse him every day, whenever I am home. I will be away for 9 days, so we have been trying for a few weeks to get him to drink formula, regular milk etc from a bottle or cup - nothing works!
please, does anyone have advise for me, we are desperate!!

pumping is not an option, unfortunately, and yes, I really have to go away, and no, he can't come with me....

thank you for your attention!

deedee

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 10:40 am
does your baby eat solid foods? or getting nutrition only from nursing?
if eating soilds then I find that rice milk diluted with water taste the most similiar to breast milk.
if not eating regular meals, start droping one feeding and sub with food so he will be getting other nutrition.
my babe is 14mts I nurse her morning, nap and night sleep. I try to feed her food every 2-3 hrs.
also maybe if he knows ur around then he wants to nurse. when ur gone he might realize it and have to take the bottle.
I'm trying to get my daughter on a pacifier! I know she is using me as one.
when I give it to her she just plays with it Confused

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 11:23 am
Quote:
if eating soilds then I find that rice milk diluted with water taste the most similiar to breast milk.

my son was hard to start on solids (but thats another story)
the first thing he loved was rice milk. My son was defintly a breastmilk lover and he really like rice milk.

1stimer

Post Sat, Apr 09 2005, 1:44 pm
pearl wrote:
baby just turned 1 yr

I don't have much advise to offer, but mazal tov on his birthday!

Good luck

Tovah

Post Mon, Apr 11 2005, 8:49 pm
will he take a cup or a sippy cup? if so theirs this great sippy cup called a nuby it's a sippy cup but like a bottle so won't spill and can drink lying down, my daughter loves it. the spout is soft too.

stem

Post Mon, Apr 11 2005, 9:07 pm
If he's a year old, he can just drink cows milk. Try every sippy cup out there till you find the one he's willing to drink. After buying all the expensive brands, my son finally decided that he likes the one cheap throw-away kind, they're the only cups he'll drink from.

I also heard the nuby works for a lot of kids.

timeout

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 10:18 am
I have the same problem but can't go away for that reason. Next Wednesday I'H we're leaving for Israel making one stop in Madrid and one in Barcelona before we get there I would love to give her a bottle or cup but she refuses I also am worried when we go on day trips during Chol Hamoed that she will get dehydrated.

I had wanted to go away with my husband for one night but we can't even do that with the nursing dilemna. Sad

Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 9:29 am
thank you all, for your posts!

well, I got back all right B"H, and baby also did great B"H! he actually slept through the night, which made me wonder.......seems like I am the one who's disturbing him Wink !

he refuses any and every kind of milk in any and every kind of way! so now I still nurse him before he goes to sleep, and when he wakes up in the morning, but won't do it any more during the night.

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 12:24 pm
Quote:
seems like I am the one who's disturbing him !

Pearl us mothers Wink

Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 8:32 am
okay, here I am again, because I am almost desperate!
I still nurse him in the morning and in the evening, but he doesn't drink a lot, and during the day refuses to drink much. I am really worried he might get dehydrated.
please, anyone knows how we can get him to drink at regular intervals during the day, and right now I don't care much what he drinks (except of course for the really poisonous drinks!), as long as he does drink!

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 5:15 pm
First off pearl as long as he has atleast 3 wet diapers no need to worry about dehydration this is Dr Freilich speaking 8) ( no really this is what my ped said).
Also what about juices diluted or concentrate?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 9:26 pm
wait, Pearl, how did your going away get him to sleep thru the night??? He was on formula for a week? who took care of him? I'm just curious cuz my almost-10-month old keeps waking up every 3 hours and I'm desperate for a solution!!!!!
Now....about getting him to drink more....if he won't drink water, dilute juice - apple, grape, orange...whatever he'll take. you can also water down cereal he eats.
good luck and gut moed!

lucy

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 10:22 pm
A Guteh Moed Pearl.

#1) If you are still nursing him and (as Frielich mentioned) he has 3 wet diapers/day don't worry. You'de be surprised how much nursing really gives them until you stop completely & then you see how much he will drink afterwards!

#2) Try waterring down juice. Also he is over a yr, so you can give him whole milk (I find they drink it faster if it's warmed even a little).

#3)Some children are simply not big drinkers I know that my oldest daughter doesn't drink very much throughout the day in comparrison to other children & she is extreemly active = so you'de think she would get thirsty!

#4) My kids find drinking from sippy cups difficult so I went straight to a cup at a very young age.

Good luck & sorry this was too long embarrassed

Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 3:56 am
thank you all so very much!

I knew the part about the 3 wet diapers, and that seems okay. I just really needed reasurance re giving him 'sweetened" drinks, I hate giving sugar, but he needs to drink, so we delute juices. I am glad to see I am not a horribly bad parent for it!

lucy, not too long at all, I very much appreciate your input! he drinks from normal cups too.

brachad, I went away for a week, no, he didn't drink formula or whole milk! my husband stayed home with the children, and said on the phone, when I checked in, that he had special hashgaha b'h, because baby sleeped for 11 hours straight! now, none of our children ever did that! and as baby did this for the whole week, I must draw the conclusion that I am the reason he doesn't sleep through the night Wink

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 3:44 pm
so he was drinking your milk while you were gone? so whatever the trip's intentions were, you got an extra bonus out of it!!! I'm getting so desperate...
Unless your husband just slept thru the crying (as many do!) and baby learned to sleep thru the night that way?? how often was he waking up before that?

Pearl

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 4:53 am
no, no breastmilk either! he drinks juice, water, just no milk!
my husband fortunately doesn't sleep through, always one of us wakes up, and when I am not there, he wakes up! (sometimes I am there, and so exhausted, I am the one sleeping right through it embarrassed )
I really think that baby smells me, my presence, I have no other way to explain it!
he sleeps restless, but wakes up about twice a night.
in any case the bed time routine with him is lousy, and I take the blame embarrassed . because I work full time I miss him already so much, that if he doesn't want to sleep, I let him be....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 10:57 pm
is he still sleeping thru the night now that you're back?

what do you mean the bedtime routine is bad?
Yeah, it's hard to work with a little baby. I made a little time before putting him to bed....Change the diaper (put on a size larger so it doesn't leak...he does nurse all night!), put on pajamas, read a book and nurse him and give him pacifier.... it ends up being some together time, y'know?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics