Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Best Way To Wash The Dishes?
1  2  3  Next

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 2:37 pm
I usually use my left hand to hold and my right hand to scrub, but someone told me I should be doing vice versa? I think it is because they are left handed. Should I change my style? I notice my MIL does it that way too. Does that make a difference? I haven't seen how my Rabbi's wife does it though.

Strawberry2

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 2:39 pm
are you saying that there's a halacha to washing dishes?!?!? Surprised

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 2:40 pm
If they are milchig, you hold with your right hand, scrub with your left. if the dishes are fleishig, then it is vice versa. that way, you never forget what you are cleaning and put away in the wrong place, and also you avoid the chance of a food particle getting stuck to your hand and transferring to a dish of the other type later

TzipG

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 2:48 pm
Strawberry2 wrote:

Of course there's a halacha about every action we do! There's no such thing as pareve actions. Either it's a mitzvah or an aveirah. So when we do the mitzvah of washing dishes, we have to follow the halachot that govern it!

NaturalMom

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 2:57 pm
You must follow your family's minhag. In this case, since washing dishes is women's work, you must follow your mother, and then her mother, and so on. So what does your mother do? What about her mom? You must do your best to keep your family mesorah alive and intact!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 3:46 pm
Your best way to go is to use a dishwasher.

celestial

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 5:07 pm
TzipG wrote:
Strawberry2 wrote:

Of course there's a halacha about every action we do! There's no such thing as pareve actions. Either it's a mitzvah or an aveirah. So when we do the mitzvah of washing dishes, we have to follow the halachot that govern it!

I think you're mixing up things being l'shem shomayim or lo l'shem shomayim. Not every action is mandated either way by halacha.

browser

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 11:06 pm
The halacha is you call the rabbi's wife and have her do your dishes since she is the ultimate authority on how to wash them. LOL

grace413

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 11:22 pm
Use disposables. Eliminates any questions, frees up time for other pursuits and keeps your skin soft.

Happy18

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 11:48 pm
Do people actually have a minhag for this???? What about when your mother or grandmother was a baal teshuva and no minhag from their side exists?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 12:58 am
I'm feeling a bit dense right now. You guys are joking, right?

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 1:11 am
Have your husband do the dishes!!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 1:51 am
This thread nearly threw me into a panic attack.

In desperation, I called my Rebbitzen. She wouldn't answer my question definitively, and I kept pressing her for answers until she finally slammed down the phone and hung up on me.

Reading deeply into her actions, I can surmise that the best thing to do is to drop dishes on the floor, hope they break, and then be done with it all. FWIW, I hear that Israeli stone floors are better suited for this task, so if you're in chutz la'aretz, this is probably the one mitzvah that would compel you to make aliyah quickly.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 3:18 am
I learned that it doesn't matter whether you use the right or left hands for holding/scrubbing as long as you have separate sets of hands for fleishig, milchig and parve dishes. This is the only way to ensure a kosher kitchen and I would never let my children eat in someone's home if they do not do this.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 3:20 am
And of course it goes without saying that you may only use the dish soap with a badatz hechsher.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 3:29 am
can someone please tell all the panicked women that you're kidding?!? Very Happy

Raizle

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 6:29 am
I wonder if the people that take these type of threads seriously do so because it's a reading thing and they can't hear tone or see facial expression, or would they also take it seriously if the whole conversation was verbal

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 8:21 am
Raizle wrote:
I wonder if the people that take these type of threads seriously do so because it's a reading thing and they can't hear tone or see facial expression, or would they also take it seriously if the whole conversation was verbal

LOL, no, I can normally tell when people are joking. Like I said before, I was feeling a bit dense at that moment. It happens Smile

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 8:29 am
NaturalMom wrote:
You must follow your family's minhag. In this case, since washing dishes is women's work, you must follow your mother, and then her mother, and so on. So what does your mother do? What about her mom? You must do your best to keep your family mesorah alive and intact!

Guess I'll have to turn into a dish washer

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 8:33 am
mizle10 wrote:
can someone please tell all the panicked women that you're kidding?!? Very Happy

Do you really think anyone took this seriously Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry