Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Best Way To Wash The Dishes?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 9:42 am
In my house we are not machmir about handholding the dishes. And I did not consult a rav. My husband told me just to make sure the sponge was a good color. That's it. Now you can all bash away.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 9:58 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
If they are milchig, you hold with your right hand, scrub with your left. if the dishes are fleishig, then it is vice versa. that way, you never forget what you are cleaning and put away in the wrong place, and also you avoid the chance of a food particle getting stuck to your hand and transferring to a dish of the other type later

Are you sure it's hold with right, scrub with left for milchig? Are you Sefardi or Ashkenazi?

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 10:12 am
the best way to wash dishes is the way that's mostly comfortable and takes quicker. if you're really unsure as to how to get the washing done just leave the dishes in the sink till they pile up till the ceiling.

willow

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 10:18 am
Strawberry2 wrote:
mizle10 wrote:
can someone please tell all the panicked women that you're kidding?!? Very Happy

Do you really think anyone took this seriously Wink

I def was like "WHAT@#$" I never heard of that LOL LOL
So glad for the clarification.

chanahlady

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 10:43 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
If they are milchig, you hold with your right hand, scrub with your left. if the dishes are fleishig, then it is vice versa. that way, you never forget what you are cleaning and put away in the wrong place, and also you avoid the chance of a food particle getting stuck to your hand and transferring to a dish of the other type later

Are you sure it's hold with right, scrub with left for milchig? Are you Sefardi or Ashkenazi?

We hold it's the other way around. Once I was at a friend for lunch and afterward saw that they were washing the plates the wrong way, and I almost threw up! At least I know not to eat there again.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 11:03 am
you women are all very odd...there's only one way to do the dishes...man power! I cook and I clean the house, dh does the dishes / fills the dishwasher

middy

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 11:36 am
sneakermom wrote:
In my house we are not machmir about handholding the dishes. And I did not consult a rav. My husband told me just to make sure the sponge was a good color. That's it. Now you can all bash away.

but could u give us a list of all the rabbis u COULD have called and gotten a heter???

if it's personal, u could always post it as "amother"!!

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 12:24 pm
Don't you all think this is going to far - just use 2 diff colored sponges.

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 12:34 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
This thread nearly threw me into a panic attack.

In desperation, I called my Rebbitzen. She wouldn't answer my question definitively, and I kept pressing her for answers until she finally slammed down the phone and hung up on me.

Reading deeply into her actions, I can surmise that the best thing to do is to drop dishes on the floor, hope they break, and then be done with it all. FWIW, I hear that Israeli stone floors are better suited for this task, so if you're in chutz la'aretz, this is probably the one mitzvah that would compel you to make aliyah quickly.

The Shilcon Oruch states that it violates a prohibition of the Torah to damage any article that could bring benefit to another person. You may not destroy or damage your dishes.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 1:11 pm
Oy, now I don't know what to do!!! I am so confused.
Maybe I'll just never use dishes, eat from "plates made from fruits and vegetables that can either be discarded or eaten themselves....

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 1:21 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Oy, now I don't know what to do!!! I am so confused.
Maybe I'll just never use dishes, eat from "plates made from fruits and vegetables that can either be discarded or eaten themselves....

Discarding edible plates also violates the Torah.

I think Deuteronomy 20:19.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 2:04 pm
ok, ok...maybe I should just stop eating? I think that is probably healthier anyway since everything is either actually poisonous or can cause cancer, or gas, which is embarrassing.

So we should just trust in Hashem that our stomachs will be filled without eating?

grace413

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 2:28 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
ok, ok...maybe I should just stop eating? I think that is probably healthier anyway since everything is either actually poisonous or can cause cancer, or gas, which is embarrassing.

Not to mention how much money you would save.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 2:51 pm
grace413 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

Well yeah! No eating it is! Wow. I'll let you know in a few days how that's working out.

onlyme

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 2:54 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
grace413 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

Well yeah! No eating it is! Wow. I'll let you know in a few days how that's working out.

You're doing the right thing. Remember: Lefum tzara agra.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 2:59 pm
onlyme wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
grace413 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

You're doing the right thing. Remember: Lefum tzara agra.

You all will have to keep me strong. I guess I'll just have to keep repeating Lefum tzara agra, Lefum tzara agra ... I feel the pain already!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 8:37 pm
Strawberry2 wrote:
Don't you all think this is going to far - just use 2 diff colored sponges.

Yeah, but if please, please, please do NOT use red sponges for fleishig dishes. It's crying for attention, so untzanua. And of course, I'm assuming you ladies do NOT wash your DH's dishes when you're niddah, right?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 11:28 pm
@Mrs. Bissli : absolutely not! We in fact don't even use those words here. We call these periods of time, well we don't refer to it in front of one another, I simply leave the house for a hut in the back yard. It is warm enough!

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:04 am
Sorry to break character here, but this reminds me of a conversation with DH while we were dating... somewhere in between "going out" and "getting serious." He brought up the topic of conflict styles or something. As a silly example, he said "Let's say one person says you need to break an egg from the bottom and one says you need to crack it from the top..." and he's going on about deep lessons in communication, but I'm scratching my head until I can't help but interrupt and say, "Sorry to look like I'm missing the point here, but I can't imagine cracking an egg anywhere other than IN THE MIDDLE."

Turns out he was talking about hard boiled eggs, which I never used to eat until after we got married, so I was picturing them raw.

And the moral of the story was, one person was calling the pointy side the top because it comes that way in the package, and the other was calling the pointy side the bottom because it comes that way from the bird. And you have to crack it from the round side because that is where the air bubble is, which only matters if you boil it first. So it was all about communication. Or something.

And we lived ever after and never argue about eggs, only about a hundred other inane things that a bochur never would have foreseen before getting involved with a girl Wink

celestial

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:07 am
seeker wrote:
Sorry to break character here, but this reminds me of a conversation with DH while we were dating... somewhere in between "going out" and "getting serious." He brought up the topic of conflict styles or something. As a silly example, he said "Let's say one person says you need to break an egg from the bottom and one says you need to crack it from the top..." and he's going on about deep lessons in communication, but I'm scratching my head until I can't help but interrupt and say, "Sorry to look like I'm missing the point here, but I can't imagine cracking an egg anywhere other than IN THE MIDDLE."

Turns out he was talking about hard boiled eggs, which I never used to eat until after we got married, so I was picturing them raw.

And the moral of the story was, one person was calling the pointy side the top because it comes that way in the package, and the other was calling the pointy side the bottom because it comes that way from the bird. And you have to crack it from the round side because that is where the air bubble is, which only matters if you boil it first. So it was all about communication. Or something.

And we lived ever after and never argue about eggs, only about a hundred other inane things that a bochur never would have foreseen before getting involved with a girl Wink

Your post made me smile Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry