Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do your guests finish their bowl of chicken soup?
1  2  Next

youngmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 12:55 pm
Do your guests finish their bowl of chicken soup? I'm talking about chicken soup on Friday night after a full fish course and then a full chicken course.

What usually happens in your house?

This is not a theoretical question. I'm asking this for a reason but I want to hear some answers before I write the reason. I'll post it after I get some answers.

Mishie

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 12:58 pm
We always have our soup in between the fish-course and the main-course.

Most everyone finishes theirs, but once in a while someone leaves some at the bottom.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:01 pm
Usually, yes.

But not always. It depends on the meal and what I serve for first course. And how long I let the first course go - if it's too long then people will stuff themselves on challah. Some people are just not soup people - or try not to have too much because they know they get really filled up on soup.

shoy18

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:04 pm
soup is my favorite course fri night!!!!!

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:12 pm
soup here is served btw fish and main. some guests ask not to be served soup. most finish it, but not everyone.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:19 pm
We serve soup on Fri nights between Rosh Hahana and Pesach. It becomes a nice, warm treat during the winter months. Everyone looks forward to being "warmed up" and usually they finish (including the kids!)

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:19 pm
We serve soup as the first course, and everybody finishes it.

youngmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:20 pm
Oops, I made a big mistake. We serve it right after the fish course, not the chicken. embarrassed

mumof1

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:59 pm
my bowls are not large and have a big lip so e/o finishes:)

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 2:01 pm
They finish.
When it is just family we don't have fish and sometimes they don't eat the chicken! My soup is very rich. I often partially cook the chicken in the soup and then add parts and tons of veggies; it really could be a meal with just some Challah.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:12 pm
DD and I don't eat the soup, it's too much food for us.

S.Shcwartz

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:20 pm
You bet we do. Everyone does, especially cuz I make it 'big' with matzoh balls and lukshen, it's my favorite! (when I eat out I order chicken soup!!!)

su7kids

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:25 pm
I stopped making chicken soup, because no-one ate the next course!! I used to make very fancy, elaborate Shabbosim and then realized we were either throwing food away or just not eating it, and no-one was leaving the table hungry.

So, now we make fish and lots of salad, and chicken and a vegetable, and sometimes we serve an "official" dessert, and somtimes its just brownies or something.

rise above

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:53 pm
the bowls are licked clean Tongue Out

youngmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 6:55 pm
Ok, well, now I'll tell you why I asked.

Basically, I've noticed that almost always my guests leave quite a bit of soup in their bowls. My fish course is pretty big (quite a few salads etc.) but I still think that ppl. can finish a GOOD soup. I guess mine just isn't that. I'll be looking for a better recipe.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 8:45 pm
Quote:
Do your guests finish their bowl of chicken soup? I'm talking about chicken soup on Friday night after a full fish course and then a full chicken course
My MIL hit on this eitzah to serve the soup after the chicken, because my husband didn't eat the chicken after he'd already had the soup.

The reason your guests don't finish their soup is the same: they are full after both courses. So if you go back to the original order: fish, soup, chicken you'll find that they eat the soup, and hardly eat the chicken.

My soup is rich, I use one complete chicken in an 8 qt. pot, with alot of veggies, everyone loves it! My secret ingredient is LOTS of salt. The vegetables are: some or all of the following: At least five carrots, or three large loose ones, a sweet potato*, 2 white potatoes, an onion, any of these Alei Katif herbs - parsley, coriander, dill - and 1 or two parsnips*, a zuchinni*. I serve it with fine lukshen, cooked with a little oil and salt, after the fish and salads, and after that, the main course. Everyone is pretty full, so I pass around platters with chicken in 1/8s, kugel and tzimmes, and they take what they want.

That way, there's no waste, but at the same time plenty to eat if they wish.
And it's a job to put it all away afterwards!

*optional, but recommended.

youngmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 10:24 pm
Quote:

Oops, I made a big mistake. We serve it right after the fish course, not the chicken.
This was my correction. We have the soup after the fish only, not after fish and chicken.

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 10:28 pm
Quote:
Most everyone finishes theirs, but once in a while someone leaves some at the bottom.

I also have people ask for seconds. My soup is not so rich friday night though very tasty, but come shabbos after shul it turnes into a rich chulent. Yep it serves dual duty.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 10:30 pm
My secret ingredient for chicken soup is time. (Not thyme, the spice, LOL, but TIME.)

I make the soup Wednesday or Thursday night (preferably the former) and let it simmer for hours and hours. The hosue smells wonderful and the soup is very flavorful.

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:36 pm
I have had very few people not finish their bowl of soup. I make a very rich chicken soup.

A package chicken bottoms
2-4 turkey neck bones
2 loose carrots
1 sweet potato
1 squash
1 turnip
1 kohlrabi
1 leek
fresh dill
fresh parsley
salt, paprika,black pepper, cumin

I cook it for about 4 hours