Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr. Does not allow parent in room when getting stitches

lucky

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:14 pm
Is this normal??? My friend just had this experience at a prominent plastic surgeon. I held onto my kids when they had stitches done. They did say that if I felt I cant handle it I "COULD" leave.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:32 pm
No personal experience with stitches, but I know plenty of healthcare providers who prefer the parent(s) to be as far away as possible during procedures. Often enough, the parent is worked up and frantic, while the child would be fine with a brief separation.

MGmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:36 pm
Dh's friend manages a medical center, and he always says that first thing he does when an emergency with a child comes in, he sends the mother to the cafeteria to boil some water..... lol! First she is out of sight and wont make doctors and staff her around in 'that-mood'. And most parents believe that they are doing sumthing for their child even thought it is 99% of the time not used! Wink

Totally understand!

21young

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:38 pm
As a parent I understand you, but as an EMT I understand the Dr.
Parents can often make the child more nervous than they should have been.
Also, with stitches in particular, the local anesthesia causes swelling and I could see him having bad experiences with parents who couldn't handle it.

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:52 pm
As a parent, I understand the Dr. Too many parents think they are helping their child when they are in reality making it harder on the child, the Dr. and themselves.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:59 pm
Never heard of this. Have held and comforted my child thru stitches, and was expected to do so by the doctors.

Then again, I'm pretty calm in these situations. I'm there to support my child but not make it worse.

ElTam

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 4:41 pm
The first time I've ever been asked not to be in a procedure was just this week. I just said, no, sorry.

I've been with my kids for putting in IV lines, suctioning out lungs, you name it.

Unless we are talking about a sterile surgical situation, I'm not leaving my kids. Sorry. I'm calm, I'm upbeat, I'm supportive. I talk to my kids about how well they are doing, how quickly it is going to be over, etc. I sing to them, etc. I would not trust a doctor who didn't want me around unless I personally had shown myself to be a problem in a procedure.

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 4:44 pm
I would not leave. I would politely but firmly tell the Dr. that was not acceptable.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:16 pm
If the doctor wants it and you refuse, your child doesn't get treatment. Plain and simple. DD's dentist wants us out, even if it involves shots (anaesthesia locally). I hate it, but if we're there it means DD needs it and we're thankful already to have a local dentist who does kids.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:19 pm
Is it the doctor's general "rule" or was it just for this parent because he/she was making the child more hysterical? Personally, I would NEVER allow my child to be treated by a doctor without myself or my DH present.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:30 pm
I think in some specialties like kid dentistry it is a given (here?) that the child is alone with the doc. I don't like it (not for trust reasons but because it makes me anxious to not know what happens) but I see it as another medical thing that is annoying or painful but necessary.

abmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 6:10 pm
A relative of mine once took a child to get stitches. While the doc was stitching the child, the mother fainted. Now the doc had 2 patients to care for...

abmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 6:17 pm
Which reminds me, In camp I cut a finger badly and my friend offered to come w/ me to the on site hatzala member. I didn't need stitches, but while he cleaned & bandaged my finger my friend fainted. Boy did I feel bad!

jaysmom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 6:29 pm
I would demand that I be there or I would choose to go elsewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics