Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Health Diet
1  2  3  Next

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2004, 10:22 pm
What health foods should we look for to eat to stay healthy and which ones should we avoid?

deedee

Post Tue, Sep 14 2004, 1:20 am
the closer u stay to whole foods the healthier you will be. whole foods, meaning the least amount of processing done to a food. for ex. whole grain bread is much healtier then white (bleached, processed) bread. sugar is also very bad for the body. eat lots of fruits and veggies-espically the dark leafy kind.

RachelSteph

Post Tue, Sep 14 2004, 10:24 am
We also need to drink Lots of water, when you think you had enough you drink more. Plus excersise is very very important, I can't tell you how important it is for ever age. I've been doing lots of research on the subject and I have found out a lot. Lifting weights is important espeially around menopause, getting at least 5 days a week of 45 minutes of excersise per day is important for loosing weight, to maintane you do 3 days. Oh and it can be desperced through out the day it doesn't have to be all in one shot. 20 in the morning 20 in the afternoon and 20 in the evening is great. oo 25 and 25. I don't have a car so I walk every were. I take my kids to the park and I run around with them. I know people who bike ever week with the children. When your healthy your children will be too. Exclamation

Ozmom

Post Sat, Sep 18 2004, 6:31 am
vsdfsdfasdf

Last edited by Ozmom on Mon, Nov 01 2004, 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total

RachelSteph

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 1:02 pm
I do weights everyday, even if I don't do aerobic activity I still make time for some weights like when I get up in the morning, in the afternoon when my son is sleeping, or at night right before I go to sleep, I pick up my 8 and 10 pound weight and do some sets for my upper body. It really gets my heart going and energizes me. I also found it very easy to do when I was pregnant instead of walking, running, or cycling. After I had my son I lost the weight in like two months. My fist child it was 6 months before I lost the weight. Then again I gained 25 pounds with my first and 15 pounds with my second child. Anyhow I think weight training is great it really tones up the body and burns fat faster than just do a 30 minute run, or 1hour of speed walking., everyone should try it out. Oh and free weights don't cost a lot and you can get videos for free weights so you can do it at home anytime you want instead of going to a gym.

Ozmom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 9:42 pm
You are really not meant to do weights everyday. You need to allow a day in between for your muscles to heal.

Also my dietition explained that you should do something everyday even if its a 15-20 minute pleasure walk taking in the scenery.
He explained that while fast walking raises your heart rate and burns of the really bad fats, (forgot what they are called) you don' t take in enough oxygen and you need to include regular paced walking so you do take in oxygen to burn of the other kind of fat (again forgot what called)
He says that only doing something 3-4 times a week confuses the body so the rest of the time inbetween those days to take a leisure walk.

Not that I'm doing anything, but I should. I'm going through a lazy faze but at least I'm eating right

zuncompany

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 10:57 pm
does it matter what time or if its at the same time each day? I am getting a treadmill in a week but shabbos I can't go on it. I could fri morning and sat night though.
sara

Ozmom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 11:12 pm
It depends really
Do you have sleeping, insomnia issues? becuase then it depends on what type of issues. For some they need to do morning for others different.
I find it really hard to excercise in the evening and I don't accomplish as much because I'm so tired. The general rule is in its better to start your day with it but everyone is different, depends on your lifestyle. Try not to have a full tommy but have something on the higher GI side before and after a workout even though generally throughout the day one should stick to low GI.

REMEMBER when you first start an excercise program expect to feel sleepy and tired in the beginning untill your body gets used to it, but don't give up, the energy perk youll get once you are into it will be well worth the effort and you will feel much much better in the long run. Also if you have any issues like back issues knees etc see a doctor before you start anything. If you are getting a treadmill don't stroll on it like a see some women at the gym doing with a magazine in front of them. With a proper workout you can't read. Listen to music, something with beat and fast, (I know someone who listens to tanya shiurim on her walkman)

Last edited by Ozmom on Wed, Aug 03 2005, 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total

zuncompany

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 11:45 pm
This was my plan. During the boys nap to first start with 15 mins, than after a week go to 25, 35, 45, than a full hour. It will take about a month, but I don't want to go to fast. I plan on playing fivetownsradio.com while I was. I don't read on the treadmill... bad experiance. I used to walk 6 miles a day in college, but when I got married that ended. Now two kids later I have 45 lbs to loose. I had GD last preg. and I am determined to loose the weight that I need to loose to become healthy again. I have already lost 22 (10 past what I was when I got preg. with number 2) of the 67 that I needed to loose just by giving birth. I am keeping up with the GD diet now but was told to add a bit more carbs cause I am nursing. My ob doesn't want me to loose more than 2lbs a week now. Also I drink loads of COLD water. My ob said it will help to loose not only to drink the right amount of water, but cold water taka cause it makes your body temp go down and you burn cals warming yourself.
Sara

Ozmom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 4:40 am
I heard that its not good to have cold food or drinks because it cools you down and slows your metabalism or something like that. but I'm not a doctor so do what your doctor says, but maybe you should enquire a little bit more.

maybe you can start of doing 20 min and instead of starting of less and going up more you start of slower and get faster, then you are getting the right amount of excersise in but doing it on your level. Then when you are stronger you can add time as well if that fits into your schedule.

What is GD?

Yael

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 10:18 am
what is GI?

zuncompany

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 11:40 am
gestational diabetes
Sara

Ozmom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 4:04 pm
Yael High GI and Low Gi foods refers to the glycemic index.
I'm not a doctor or a Dietition but I'll do my best to explain it the way I understand.
Foods high in sugar content (not always just sweet foods) give a quick release of sugar energy and your insulin level goes up. but then it drops right down and you feel tired and crave more sweets going into a whole cycle. Its easy sugar and your body will burn off that before it burns off other fats waiting to go. This is where the whole 'no carbs' fad comes in. The mistake people are making is that carbohydrates are still important and not all carbohydrates are high GI. You just stick to the low ones. My dietition gave me a list somewher that I need to rummage up to find but you better off getting a list from a doctor or dietition there because we have different brands here. A good example of a carbohydrate with Low GI is oats which give a slow release of energy to last you through the day, add some bran and you have a good source of fibre.

RachelSteph

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 11:04 am
Waw this all sounds great, I have to get that list of low GI Products. I have been having all bran every morning, and I found that with eating for Fiber less surgar, and excer. everyday plus all the cleaning in the house, shopping, and playing with my kids has helped to maintain my weight. I just haven't been loosing weight and I think it could partly be because I still eat supper late; it should be eaten before 6:00pm and nothing after that, and because I've been partaking in a long ritual of eating eating pizza or MochaChino with my husband and his friends every saturday night after Shabbat. The only thing is insted of drinking a MochaChino, I take a tea, water, or frruit drink. and the Pizza we buy now is very thin whole weat dough, and lots og veggies on it. It's my little indulgence, I gave up everything else.

CS

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 5:20 pm
You guys have all motivated me. I have about 10 -15 very stubborn pounds sitting around my midsection. I say I never lost my baby fat, but since he's nearly 3 yrs old, that really doesn't hold too much truth. I ordered and received the door exerciser for my stomach, I went to do circuit training at my club, and I'm really trying to watch my consumption of carbs. Does anyone have any ideas of munching food that tastes good, and is satisfying? If I eat anymore carrots, Bugs is going to get upset.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 6:41 pm
string cheese... I lived on it on the gestational diabetes diet.

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 7:27 pm
Is Gestational Diabeties only come when a lady is pregnant?

zuncompany

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 9:57 pm
yes, it went away as soon as I delivered. However it puts you at a higher risk for normal diabetes. Thats why I must take care of myself now.

Sara

miriam

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 1:11 pm
I think rice or corn cakes are good munchies. GOOD LUCK!!

zuncompany

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 1:17 pm
I was just reading an article and soup is a good one. Put up a big batch. Freeze it in single servings, and when you need a nosh pop it in the microwave. All the veggies and the big of protein. Very healthy.
Sara
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise