Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2yr old laughs at me when I tell them off! HELP!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 2:24 pm
I use a firm voice and am clear in what I say (I dont smile while I do this, if it isnt obvious!). My 3 year old totally 'gets it', has always done. My 2 year old just giggles when I tell either of them off which obviously totally undermines the whole thing and then my 3 year old joins in. Sometimes my 2 year old is not even in the room and will hear me telling another child off and start giggling which makes the other child smile and again ruins all my chinuch efforts.

I have tried the naughty step..... DC is not bothered. It is partly a developmental issue, I know that....but it doesnt help me with discipline.

I know someone may jump in and say, maybe my expectations are too high and what do I need to 'discipline' a 2 year old about. Some of the things include, biting and throwing food on the floor. I dont think I am aiming too high on this one!

Any ideas to stop the giggles?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:07 pm
I would try to do an action without even saying anything instead -- or maybe just with a brief explanation of what you're doing. Like if he throws food, just take him out of his chair and tell him, "No more food." If he bites another kid, he has to play by himself in a different (adjacent, obviously) room with no toys for a few minutes. In that case, I would explain that it's because people don't want to play with a kid who is biting.

It's tough. Your first kid sounds relatively easy, though, if all you had to do was speak sternly?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:55 pm
I'm not clear on what you mean by "tell them off." Not part of any toddler discipline strategy I'm aware of...

But with no other clarification, my instinct is like AlwaysGrateful said - actions speak louder than words. He might laugh when you say "no" but he is probably not laughing when you take away the item he's using inappropriately (or whatever).

Rochelly

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:07 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm not clear on what you mean by "tell them off." Not part of any toddler discipline strategy I'm aware of...

But with no other clarification, my instinct is like AlwaysGrateful said - actions speak louder than words. He might laugh when you say "no" but he is probably not laughing when you take away the item he's using inappropriately (or whatever).

"tell them off" is an expression that the English use - it means to discipline / tell a child to stop doing something ect

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:10 pm
By 'tell off' I mean being firm about what they can and cant do.....eg. If a child bites I would say in a firm clear voice, 'no biting. Biting hurts people.' Not always exactly that, so dont pick it apart....but that is to get the jist.
I have tried using actions to show the message (like moving the child somewhere else) but they are not really bothered by that. Im sure they will grow out of it but it is difficult as it influences the other kids. Obviously I try and explain that they are bigger etc

Thanks for the advice so far. Any other techniques I can try???

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:10 pm
Oh! Is "the naughty step" also some expression I'm unfamiliar with?

Ha, that explains a lot. Where I come from, "tell them off" connotes a little rudeness or yelling.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:15 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh! Is "the naughty step" also some expression I'm unfamiliar with?

Ha, that explains a lot. Where I come from, "tell them off" connotes a little rudeness or yelling.

LOL I didnt realize I had so much English in me! Naughty step is when a child has done something naughty they go sit on (or are put on) the bottom of the stairs (away from the situation) and they have to stay there for a minute or two. Then they say sorry and can go join in playing again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics