Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Need help completing my last-minute ORANGE theme! PLEASE!

medola

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:12 pm
I finally sort of stumbled upon this theme - I saw I had bought a bag of clementines, mandarins and a box of kumquats and thought how cute it would be to put them all together for a little "orange" theme.
AFAIK, they are all the ha-eitz brocha, so I need one more orange food item (preferably pareve or CY and individually wrapped) that's either mizonos, ha-odoma, she'hakol, etc. Candy is fine, it's just a challenge to find all orange candy (and not just sit there picking out the orange lolly-pops from the motley) - tho I'm very open to suggestions if you know of some candy that I can pick up at the supermarket (and not have to order online - it's a little too late for that!).
I might just resign myself to baking apricot hamentashen -- it's just that in my community only about half the ppl I'm giving to would eat home-made shalach manos items. So I'm not so sure if I want to waste my time knowing half my hamentashen won't get any love...
Any ideas for that last orange goodie?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:20 pm
You know you don't halachically need two brachos, right? Just two "minim." That said, I dont' know if these three fruits would be considered different minim or not.

A small carton of OJ? Or those little candies that come in a carton of OJ -- I think they're orange, but I've never actually eaten any or paid attention when I saw them, so I don't know.

The store I go to that sells cheap candy has some of the wrapped candies in bins so you can choose what you want. Is there a place like that near you?

crl

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:20 pm
Those orange wafers? Orange soda? Candy corn? (Ok, thats orange and white but whatever.)
Nachos? Orange juice?

Or is there such thing as Lemonheads or Redhots for oranges? Orangeheads?

I just made myself hungry...mmm,nachos....

Good luck! Smile

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:26 pm
Cheddar cheese?

Cheese puffs (some kosher versin thereof)

Carrots?

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:26 pm
Cheese puffs

Cheez its

Any disgustingly processed and colored cheese

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:28 pm
Wait, so I was thinking...how about just apricots? Not quite in season, but if youcan find them.

Again, it's fine that they're ha'eitz.

medola

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 2:29 pm
AlwaysGrateful,
I have always thought and remember it that you need to have food that's 2 different types of brochas. Most ppl I know hold that way, too...
I just think my little basket looks incomplete with just these 3 orange fruits that sort of look the same, just are different sizes...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to see what the market has in terms of orange candy. Just right now I feel a little too lazy to do anything! sigh... Rolling Eyes

busydev

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 3:01 pm
candy corn.... also has yellow and white but also orange.

carrots?

those little fruit nuggets- comes in orange, strawberry, blueberry etc (tho are pretty expensive I think)

butterscotch candies?

MamaBear

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 3:14 pm
Seriously, take some chocolate or candy and put it in a little bag tied with an orange ribbon.

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 3:30 pm
Orange shaped marzipan.

Or chocalate orange. Yum.

Orange marmalade - the little jars.

brokertov

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 4:21 pm
Hamentaschen made with orange marmalade
YUM
this has made me hungry...
fasting is for the birds...
Chag Same'ach!

anonymom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 9:46 pm
It's probably too late now, but it's easier to go to the store and look for something orange than think of something orange that you must have and then try to find it in a store.

If you had more time, oh nuts' website can be sorted by color and they have tons of stuff in every color.

JustHavingFun

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 10:00 pm
Best I can suggest (somewhat healthy) is Terra brand Sweets & Carrots (sweet potato and carrot chips - Kof-K kosher) Food Review: Terra Sweets & Carrots Chips

Other ideas:
    *A can of yams
    *Little individual pumpkin pies (like TastyKake?)
    *Carrot sticks
    *Canned carrots
    *Box of Wacky Mac or Fould's Mac & Cheese
    *an orange squash (some varieties of acorn squash, or a dark butternut squash)
    Good luck! Cute idea!!

medola

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:09 pm
Thanks so much for the brainstorming!

I ended up using the clementines, mandarins and kumquats with some orange lollies.
The other food I didn't have a chance to run to the store, so I did some rummaging at home...
But I didn't have enough orange lollies (only had like 8 in the house in the nosh bag) so the rest of the MM are not quite congruent with the "orange theme" - the others have purple lollies, or a tea bag, or apples... some are missing the clementine, other are missing the kumquats!
oh well - this year, I kind of spent more time thinking about the presentation rather than the content (they look really cute!!). I bought these mock-crystal (plastic) small bowls at the dollar store (they can be re-used for humus or as candy dishes, etc), and used really pretty shiny sparkly red wrapping paper and ribbons, and added a personal card.
What can I say,
"good enough is good enough!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics