Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Where is your baby most of the time?

momlia

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:26 pm
Where do you put your 7 or 8 month old baby most of the time when he/she is not sleeping? Do you keep them in the bouncer, highchair, or just on the floor.

My baby can move around, but doesn't exactly crawl yet. She gets bored in most places I put her and I feel like I am constantly holding her.

Just wondering where your babies are and if my baby is plain spoiled, which is very possible.

imamiri

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:33 pm
momlia wrote:
Where do you put your 7 or 8 month old baby most of the time when he/she is not sleeping? Do you keep them in the bouncer, highchair, or just on the floor.

My baby can move around, but doesn't exactly crawl yet. She gets bored in most places I put her and I feel like I am constantly holding her.

Just wondering where your babies are and if my baby is plain spoiled, which is very possible.

I held or wore my DD a lot when she was an infant. Around 6 months or so when she was crawling, I usually hung out on the floor with her. I'd just have my lap top next to me and play with her and scan whatever I was looking at now and again.

To this day DH sits on the floor mostly because even with a toddler, it's where the action is. Smile

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:52 pm
Carpeted floor mostly. Highchair when she needed a change of scenery, she liked being upright and in view of adult action. Playpen occasionally, but she wasn't so happy there for long.

imamiri

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:56 pm
seeker wrote:
Carpeted floor mostly. Highchair when she needed a change of scenery, she liked being upright and in view of adult action. Playpen occasionally, but she wasn't so happy there for long.

We called the playpen baby jail because DD hated being in it. It was a waste of money.

momlia

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 12:37 am
Unfortunately, we don't have any carpeted floor. I do still put her on the floor but she doesn't like it for too long. I like the idea of hanging out with her on the floor - I guess I should really to do my housework, dishes, laundryn etc. when she's sleeping.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 12:42 am
Does the baby crawl too much to stay on a blanket? Put a nice soft/puffy blanket on the floor. I think at that age DD enjoyed her play gym/mat very much. We took the toys down because at that stage she was more interested in handling them on the floor than looking up for them.

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 12:50 am
Floor. He started crawling by about 6 months and he doesn't stay in one place for long...

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 1:33 am
Floor. DD discovered crawling around 7 months, and after that she was off like a rocket. I used to put a giant blanket on the floor and we'd play on that.

I'd stick DD in the highchair and bring it into the kitchen while I made lunch/dinner. We had a highchair that had toys on the side, and I'd give her a snack as well. That usually bought me a 1/2 hour.

When I would bring the stroller up/down, when I'd have groceries to bring in, or when I needed to shower, I stuck her in 'jail' aka the playpen. Most of the time as long as she had toys in there with her I could take a shower in peace.

A word of caution regarding exersaucers and bumbo chairs. From a physical development point of view, they cause improper alignment of the spine and an exersaucer can cause walking/foot issues. If you do choose to use those products, use sparingly, and with the bumbo ALWAYS leave it on the floor.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 1:43 am
Floor/highchair. More of the latter coz if I am working its easier to reach him and give him stuff.

Now, at my parents, mostly floor coz its carpeted and he has soooo maany toys!

SZH

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:47 am
Until my dd starting crawling I held her in my arms/wrap most of the time

chani8

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 8:50 am
In an exersaucer! It strengthens them, preparing for crawling, for those babies who hate floor time. Or if they like the floor, in a cordoned off area of the room that they could explore safely without constant supervision.

MMCH

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:31 pm
my dd did everything for short amounts of time.
the stage in between sitting and crawling was a weird one for her, bc she knew she wanted to move, but didnt know how.
It was either excersaucer/ floor only with me next to her.
or in my hands.
that was a a kvetchy time period for her.
She was muuch happier walking.

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 8:00 pm
I rotated DD randomly among a few "stations" - a swing/bouncer, a blanket on the floor with some random toys, an activity gym. When she got older we had an exersaucer, a door jumper, and a foam floor mat with toys. I also used a baby carrier for all kinds of things - mine can be used both in front and for piggyback.

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 8:05 pm
momlia wrote:
Unfortunately, we don't have any carpeted floor. I do still put her on the floor but she doesn't like it for too long. I like the idea of hanging out with her on the floor - I guess I should really to do my housework, dishes, laundryn etc. when she's sleeping.

Can you get something like this?
http://www.onestepahead.com/ca.....59756

I got a couple of sets of inexensive foam "tiles" at Amazing Savings to use over my wood floors, if you live in an area that has one. Skip Hop also has a popular floor mat like this, you can get them at Amazon, Diapers.com, Babies R Us, etc.

momlia

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 11:00 pm
spring 13, I like your idea of the foam mat. It's nice, colorful and soft

You definitely have a lot of baby equipment there! We live in a small apt. and don't have room for all those stuff. Even with the mat, it would take up a nice chunk of my living room floor, which I really wouldn't mind, if only she would enjoy being on it. My guts tell me she would just roll or move right off it.

Truth is she really doesn't mind the hard floor as long as she is near me, but I am a crazy clean freak and hates when she gets dirty, especially from the kitchen floor. I just thought of an idea - I am going to put on her old pants I don't care for anymore and will put her down on whichever floor wherever I am - this way she'll be happy and also near me. My arms hurt from holding her so much Confused

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 11:12 pm
momlia wrote:
spring 13, I like your idea of the foam mat. It's nice, colorful and soft

You definitely have a lot of baby equipment there! We live in a small apt. and don't have room for all those stuff. Even with the mat, it would take up a nice chunk of my living room floor, which I really wouldn't mind, if only she would enjoy being on it. My guts tell me she would just roll or move right off it.

Truth is she really doesn't mind the hard floor as long as she is near me, but I am a crazy clean freak and hates when she gets dirty, especially from the kitchen floor. I just thought of an idea - I am going to put on her old pants I don't care for anymore and will put her down on whichever floor wherever I am - this way she'll be happy and also near me. My arms hurt from holding her so much Confused

Almost everything we have can be folded up/put away easily. The seat of our swing comes off to be a bouncer, the activity gym zips into a package, the door bouncer was in the kitchen doorway and is easily removed and shoved in a closet. That kind of thing. If you get a puzzle mat, it'll be easy to take apart and push under a bed or couch when it's not being used.

michal817

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 12:09 am
When DD was younger (she's 9 months now), she was usually either in my arms, in her swing, or on her activity mat. Now she spends a lot of time on the (carpeted) floor with her toys. She also loves her Jumperoo, and I put her in the high chair when I'm busy in the kitchen. I find that rotating her toys helps when she's on the floor - she gets bored of them after a while, so every now and then I'll take away one or two and bring out a different one that she hasn't seen in a while.

Dev80

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 3:16 pm
I tried imamiri's suggestion today of sitting on the floor while baby played, and it really worked! I worked/online shopped while he interacted with me and played by himself. Thanks for suggesting!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics