Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
LL making me move out 4 a day cuz of HER sec 8 inspection?!?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 10:34 am
The fact you get a "pretty good price" for the place you are in could be a reflection of the Section 8 situation.

grace413

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 10:47 am
Let's get this straight: You have knowingly been living in a place ILLEGALLY for years. In order to continue this ILLEGAL arrangement you need to leave the apartment for a few hours once a year.

And you expect to be compensated for this?

Wow, just wow.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 10:58 am
One more question...
How are they getting section 8 if they are the 'landlord'? Are they subletting part of their rental? Or are they playing more games by not having their house in their name so they can get section 8? If you are both renting from someone else then what should have been happening is that they should tell them that the landlord has not given them access to that part of the house (obviously that might be a problem now as they had access last year).

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:40 pm
grace413 wrote:
Let's get this straight: You have knowingly been living in a place ILLEGALLY for years. In order to continue this ILLEGAL arrangement you need to leave the apartment for a few hours once a year.

Wow, just wow.

they didnt tell the OP before moving in.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 6:55 pm
ysmommy wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

But they DID tell her before she renewed her lease (3 times?!)

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 7:27 pm
mamaleh wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

I know but its not so simple. I assume the OP lives in new york. its very hard to find apts there and sometimes enertia is hard to break. also moving is really difficult.

I think its pretty harsh to label the OP as someone defrauding the government. yes she should move but I think its unfair to blame her.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 7:44 pm
ysmommy wrote:
mamaleh wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

I know but its not so simple. I assume the OP lives in new york. its very hard to find apts there and sometimes enertia is hard to break. also moving is really difficult.

I think its pretty harsh to label the OP as someone defrauding the government. yes she should move but I think its unfair to blame her.

I was not commenting on the legality/morality of what she was doing, merely that it seems unfair to complain/ ask for $$ now when she knew about this at the beginning of her (renewed) lease. It might be hard to find an apartment, but 4 years? And if it is just inertia then don't complain about the circumstances.

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 7:55 pm
moving is expensive. the landlord was deceitful. who said everyone can afford to move out of the blue???!!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 8:04 pm
octopus wrote:
moving is expensive. the landlord was deceitful. who said everyone can afford to move out of the blue???!!

I havent commented till now, because I have nothing to say to someone who is helping someone else commit a crime.

BUT as expensive as moving is, and as deceitful as the landlord WAS BEFORE she moved in, op has said herself that she has renewed the lease a few times. thats NOT out of the blue anymore, thats at least a few years. it may be hard to find an apartment, but ive never met anyone who was looking for YEARS and couldnt find....unless she is getting such a good deal and THAT is whats holding her back.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 9:46 pm
Firstly, the OP never said that she renewed her lease. She only said that she signed the contract when she moved in.

Secondly, perhaps she can not afford to move or pay higher rent.

and Lastly, I have a very good deal with my rent, but I am not the OP. so if you happen to know someone with a good deal, don't assume it's this story.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 9:47 pm
A lease can be 3 years or 5 years.

A lease is not always renewed.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
A lease can be 3 years or 5 years.

A lease is not always renewed.

While you correct, in theory, most apartment rentals (especially smaller/basement type) are yearly. The lease might automatically renew (ie you might not sign a new contract) but it is a yearly term.

(btw I'm not sure why you needed to be amother for this one)

joy613

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 10:21 pm
I am confused, as is a previous poster, how this arrangement is working.
. If they are the landlords, what is the section 8 they're getting for? Sec. 8 is for renters. OP, can you please explain?

chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 19 2012, 11:59 pm
if the lease the OP signed is with them as LL, it seems that it's a worthless paper cause they are on Sect. 8 (as tenants)

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 12:58 am
OP here: sorry for not clarrifying... we are currently NOT on a lease. we got a very good deal for our place (because the neighborhood is not in the middle of town)
we signed Jan 09 - not 08, I made a mistake...

yes I live in NY and rent is NOT cheap here...

our landlord is "renting" the house which is officially under a business... (don't get me started...)

When we moved in we had NO idea about any of this. We were stuck in possition where we HAD to move from our previous apt, due to health reasons, and before we found this one, we were living with family.

The first year we really felt we didn't have a choice, cuz we were under contract, and the LL downplayed it, and we didn't even comprehend that it would have to be done every year, until the next year came...

the second year was hard, but we kept thinking we were gonna move out, get a new job... bla bla bla... well then I got preg, and then came the third inspection....

so, last year, the third year, we were stuck in a situation where we couldn't just move to another place since I had a baby a month before, and had just stopped working.... we kept saying we wanted to move, but it's not easy to find extra $$ for another place (most places in my area are way more expensive)...

this is going to be the 4th year, and at this point since we're not going to find anything in the next month, we're stuck, but once the inspectin is over, we'll have a whole year to find a new place. (iy'h!)

we settled on a payment compensation, although the LL feels like they don't owe us anything, and they're doing it because they feel pressured... (chutzpa, I know!)

I'm still not sure if how they think it's owned to them, when they were not honest from the get go!

Trust me, if I had a place to go I'd jump, but I'm in my own financial situation right now (aren't we all?) where it's not as easy as it sound, but Hashem helps in amazing ways, so I'm not giving up hope and still praying!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:00 am
OP here, ** we are no longer under contract, cuz we only signed for one year, we never re-signed anything... I would NOT resign at this point based of everything I know...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:11 am
grace413 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

LOL, you sound like my cousin... she often misses the point of the entire thing, (or thinks she gets what's goin on, but really is way off), disagrees with almost everybody, (or rather can ONLY see things from her point of view) and ends everything with "wow, just wow"... I wonder if ur my cousin...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:19 am
medola wrote:
Asking for "compensation" may come off as bribery, and may entangle you with your LL's fraudulent activities.

OP here, I think you mean black mail, not bribery, and no it's not black mail, because it's very hard to have to be out early in the morning, and clean all up ( I have two kids, and my house is not always perfectly in order)... it was hard every year, but I kept thinking we're moving out, soon so it's fine, we'll do them the favore and whatever...

but at this point they think it's coming to them, that we're just gonna pick up and clean up and disapear for a few hours... not happening! I'ts alot of stress on me, and my time is worth something... our entire scheudle gets messed up from this... is a couple dollars not ok to ask?

a month's rent is NOT fair, (DH pointed that out to me) but I was frustrated and not thinking properly... so we settled for something that calculated with out LL together.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:19 am
amother wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Wow, just wow.

LOL, you sound like my cousin... she often misses the point of the entire thing, (or thinks she gets what's goin on, but really is way off), disagrees with almost everybody, (or rather can ONLY see things from her point of view) and ends everything with "wow, just wow"... I wonder if ur my cousin...

Actually I think Grace hit the nail on the head.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:26 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
You say you are a "straight shooter" but that is not the case at all! You are enabling them to defraud the government. Have you ever asked a shaila (or thought for yourself, really) that there is a serious problem with this?

OP here, we asked the question as soon as we realized it was a yearly ordeal... we were told that we do NOT have to move out, and that we should look for another place (which we are still doing, but it's really not easy due to many factores in our situation)

however the Rav did say, that if we can move out, we should and not actively cause LL a problem by not moving out....

I didn't think of it as aiding their fruad, I just looked at it as I have no other place to move right now so I was kinda stuck in a possition....

We are praying that we do find another place soon...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics