Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
St. Moritz oven cleaner - BEWARE (WARNING: graphic burn pic)
Previous  1  2

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:35 pm
I use this for tough cleaning jobs

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex.....r=8-1

It smells like windex, and while I wear gloves while using it because I dont want it to absorb into my skin, it doesnt cause burns on contact.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:36 pm
Oh, and btw, some vinegar and baking soda go a long way in the cleaning department.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:47 pm
I am pertified of such stuff. I don't even own bleach. One supermarket has a big sign saying they are not selling it due to the request of hatzalah.

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:24 pm
I just checked. This is the brand that is, used in the house. We have a carton of this stuff. I am allergic to almost all cleaners so I never go near anything more than windex. We have this easily accessible.

OP thanks, for the warning.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:47 pm
Does anyone know if the oven is cleaned with it, can any of it remain inside? Like can the fumes leech into the food?
I wouldn't go near this stuff with a 10 foot pole. But relatives that we go to for Pesach love using it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 5:34 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone know if the oven is cleaned with it, can any of it remain inside? Like can the fumes leech into the food?
I wouldn't go near this stuff with a 10 foot pole. But relatives that we go to for Pesach love using it.
They just need to turn on the oven for a bit to burn out any residual stuff, before actually using the oven again to bake.

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 6:14 am
OMG , poor baby should have a refuah sheleima Crying !
I hate that product , It burned my fingertips and desintegrated a cleaning glove I was using Rolling Eyes , I had no fingerprints my skin peeled off and my nails ached.....horrible stuff I had to sleep with a coconut mosturizing crean and gloves for weeks Crying

I was telling my neighbour next door last year and found out she sprayed herself on her clothes on the chest by mistake , it burned her skin and throat with the fumes .

Who regulates that stuff ? It should be banned for non professional use.
So sad Sad

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 6:33 am
I never bring this into my house neither does any of my close family and our ovens are VERY clean! I use baking soda to cover the bottom of my oven in case of spills and when I clean I spray tub n' tile (melaluca; but any all purpose cleaner would do) I let it sit a bit and then with a wet rag I wipe it clean for very tuff spots I use steel wool. before peasach I've already tried doing the self clean on my oven but it usually isn't even necessary!

Every year we hear such Horror stories about the chemical cleansers especially St. Moritz and I cant get it why people still use it why stores even bring it in (its an Israeli product). Not only kids burn themselves the adults who clean with it get burnt too unfortunately I've seen it with my own eyes and I cant get it!
VERY SAD!! Sad

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 6:38 am
10 yrs ago my friend was in the hospital in the burn unit for over a month with her 1 yr old who burned herself from this product,... I do not let this into my house!

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 6:51 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
I never bring this into my house neither does any of my close family and our ovens are VERY clean! I use baking soda to cover the bottom of my oven in case of spills and when I clean I spray tub n' tile (melaluca; but any all purpose cleaner would do) I let it sit a bit and then with a wet rag I wipe it clean for very tuff spots I use steel wool. before peasach I've already tried doing the self clean on my oven but it usually isn't even necessary!

Every year we hear such Horror stories about the chemical cleansers especially St. Moritz and I cant get it why people still use it why stores even bring it in (its an Israeli product). Not only kids burn themselves the adults who clean with it get burnt too unfortunately I've seen it with my own eyes and I cant get it!
VERY SAD!! Sad

how do you use baking soda? you put it in the oven every time you use it? How much? What does it do?

happy mom1

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:44 pm
They sell oven liners to catch spills.
I make a paste out of vinegar and baking soda and spread it all over my oven. I leave it overnight and scrub it out the next day.

Mini Cookie

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 3:16 pm
Does anyone know if the newer St. Moritz, the Fume Free, Mild Version is safer?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 7:02 pm
Wow... ok glad I didn't buy this! I was about to, then saw the burn warnings on the label and changed my mind (even though, being pregnant now, I plan to leave the oven cleaning for my husband)

So... baking soda seems to be the best natural option? I have one tough spot on the bottom of my oven.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 9:26 am
My friend's brother works in a NY hospital, and she said the only kids that come in with burns from this stuff are from BP and Willi. St. Moritz is ILLEGAL in the US, that is why only the Jewish stores carry it. The bottles dont even have a proper safety cap like bleach does!!

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 10:04 am
A cousin of mine is a nurse in Staten Islands burn unit. He says the staff knows that this time of year, the jews come in with chemical burns.

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 10:40 am
Raisin wrote:
Laughing Bag! wrote:

VERY SAD!! Sad

how do you use baking soda? you put it in the oven every time you use it? How much? What does it do?

I cover the bottom of my oven with baking soda by just pouring evenfly until its covered (thin layer)
1. it prevents fire from spills
2. it helps me when its time to clean.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry