Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What is your Main Dish for the Sedarim?
Previous  1  2

zigi

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 2:01 pm
Happy18 wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
My mother makes egg in salt water (minhag that we have) followed by chicken soup with egg lokshen.

For those that want there is chicken from the soup and boiled potatoes for a 'main' course but no one really has it because we are so full and there is still more grape juice and matzah to come!

This is a minhag? My family and dh's family both do this, never realized it was a minhag Very Happy

same menu in my house!

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 2:06 pm
Raisin wrote:
I'm baffled why people serve fish and soup and then a main course if no one ever eats it. It makes more sense to me to skip the fish or soup or both then to skip the main course.

Which is why Raisin is always invited to my seders. (Easy to make that invitation, given that she's also an ocean away.)

hadasa

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 3:12 pm
Those who don't do the egg dunking - do you not have an egg on the Seder plate or do you just not eat it?

Last year I skipped the soup, but somehow it doesn't feel right doing that on Shabbos. Any leftovers will get eaten eventually IYH.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 4:09 pm
hadasa wrote:
Those who don't do the egg dunking - do you not have an egg on the Seder plate or do you just not eat it?

Last year I skipped the soup, but somehow it doesn't feel right doing that on Shabbos. Any leftovers will get eaten eventually IYH.

We have an egg on the Seder plate; we just don't eat it.

We never skip soup -- in our family that's a must. We might skip fish (though not on Shabbos) and the main though!

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 4:12 pm
am I the only one who is actually hungry enough to eat a full meal during the seder?

I usually make corned beef for the main, but am looking for some chicken ideas.

September June

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 4:15 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
hadasa wrote:

We have an egg on the Seder plate; we just don't eat it.

We never skip soup -- in our family that's a must. We might skip fish (though not on Shabbos) and the main though!

We have an egg and do eat it but without salt water.

cm

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 5:14 pm
We have the very simplest of meals. After all the ceremonial foods (and egg) late at night, who's hungry? Ideally we would go directly from matzah ball soup (practically required on Pesach!) to fruit and cake. As one of my relatives put it - shulchan orech is supposed to be a festive meal, and what could be more festive than dessert! But more typically we serve some light vegetables, salads and kugels, if we have guests who would appreciate a more traditional seder experience.

Do people eat the egg off the Seder plate? I've never seen that. We make regular hard-boiled eggs to eat with salt water. The Seder plate egg is broiled after boiling, and doesn't look too appetizing.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 5:29 pm
granolamom wrote:
am I the only one who is actually hungry enough to eat a full meal during the seder?

I usually make corned beef for the main, but am looking for some chicken ideas.

We eat, and everyone eats at every seder I've attended.

The fact is that if I serve soup and fish ANY night, no one in my house would eat anything else. Nothing to do with the seder.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 6:31 pm
hadasa wrote:

I don't serve that much on shabbos either. It's not oneg shabbos to suffer through a meal when you are full. And kosher meat is so expensive its a waste to serve it planning to reheat it. It never tastes as good the second time around (especially chicken)

So my rule is: either fish or soup. some weeks I serve fish, some weeks soup.

My family are not such big eaters, so I do often end up throwing away leftovers come tuesday morning. (I won't let it be eaten past then)

We hold our seder in a hall where the stove is not kashered for pesach, so it is easier for me to serve a cold first course. Also, if we serve soup everyone wants to know where the matza balls are...

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 6:58 pm
Definitely no salad, since the adults will be eating 3 large lettuce leaves for maror and korech, or as much as they can of that. I serve hardboiled eggs (as my mother did before me), and my father makes a whole ceremony of cutting them in a special way and mixing with salt water. Gefilte fish is served with the eggs.

Then we have chicken soup with matza balls, but since my son in law and daughter don't eat gebrokts, it will be chicken meatballs instead.

By this time people aren't that hungry, and it's getting late. DH requested a simple meal of meat cooked with potatoes, onions and a few carrots. Maybe a little Bodek broccoli.

For dessert I made jello with pineapple chunks, but we don't always have time to eat dessert. We want to eat the afikoman before chatzos. The kids get candies and such during maggid, for asking questions.

Erev Pesach we will have meatballs and potatoes (and salad). When we went to hotels, DH insisted that lunch Erev Pesach was the best part of the deal. Once we were crazy late getting out and I said, nu nu, so we'll miss lunch. DH was like, "Then there's no point in going for Yomtov."

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 8:58 pm
hadasa wrote:

We do have an egg on sedar plate, but A) it's burnt one and B) it's one per sedar plate, not one per guest.
With so many eggs in other recipes and meals, we usually skip straight to soup. Main: brisket and apricot chicken this year, meatballs for the kiddies who will be eating before sedar starts (8:15pm kick off here). Leek patties are a MUST. Probably just do fruits if anyone is even remotely interested in dessert.

hadasa

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:55 am
I never knew people broiled the egg before! We just put a regular boiled egg and it gets eaten at SA by those who have a Kearah, and extra eggs are brought out for those who don't. The same as with Karpas, Maror etc.

yummymummy

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 1:05 am
chicken marsala one night and fried then baked chicken cutlets (they really need a better name) the other night

(and we also do the egg, fish, soup, kugels, dessert as well)

Sara255

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 6:32 am
My mother always makes her Yekkish pot roast, which is amazing, totally easy, and everyone loves it!!! It has meat and vegetables so we just have that one course, which is fine with everyone, because at 11 PM no one really wants to sit through a bunch of courses.... everyone who I've ever given the recipe to just goes nuts over it, it's the easiest, most delicious and wholesome way to prepare meat I have ever seen (NO SUGAR!)

racz

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:31 pm
Roast and meatballs

suzyq

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 1:45 pm
I'm making a roast for the main dish. Matzo ball soup before that. Plus an apple kugel and some sweet potatoes. No fish, because it's just too much Wink

yummymummy

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 2:11 pm
Sara255 wrote:
My mother always makes her Yekkish pot roast, which is amazing, totally easy, and everyone loves it!!! It has meat and vegetables so we just have that one course, which is fine with everyone, because at 11 PM no one really wants to sit through a bunch of courses.... everyone who I've ever given the recipe to just goes nuts over it, it's the easiest, most delicious and wholesome way to prepare meat I have ever seen (NO SUGAR!)

sounds like a topic for post #2! please share the recipe Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics