Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Recipe for making Mayo

Starhavah

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:07 am
Ok ladies,

I have an immersion blender and I am taking the plunge this year. How do I make mayo? I need proportions. Do I include anything other than eggs and oil?

Star Havah

mrshj

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:20 am
I made mine yesterday for the first time ever. But I used my food processor.
4 eggs
5 tbsp vinegar
7 packets of sweetener (everybody on diet here)
2 tsp salt
4 cups oil
I put the oil in the freezer for about 15 minutes before. Makes a huge difference. Put everything in food processor but the oil. Turn it on and add oil very very slowly. Like a slow steady trickle. It came ou beautiful.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:22 am
I did one from an scd diet that I saved from last year. 2 eggs. 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice. 1 tsp honey. 1/2 tsp Kosher salt. 2 cups olive oil.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:53 am
This one is fool proof and so easy. In a deep cup - the kind that your blender will fit into - put 1tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp salt. On top of that, 1 raw egg. Pour about 3/4 cup oil on top. Stick your immersion blender in the cup down to the bottom, turn it on, and slowly lift it straight up. By the time you get to the top, you'll have perfect mayo. Just made mine this morning...

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:37 am
Can you make mayo with a hand beater and not a blender?

Karnash

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:20 pm
Youngmommy - you're right - it's foolproof - and only takes seconds! Thanks!

sandwich

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:23 pm
I just made mine this morning. in my mixer
2 egg yolks
1 cup oil
1/2 squeezed fresh lemon
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
beet yolks then add oil slowly
then rest of ingredients

chamco

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:37 pm
What oil do you use that tastes good? I made last year with shemen luz and it really wasn't tasty.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:43 pm
light and mild olive oil

ray family

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 3:34 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
This one is fool proof and so easy. In a deep cup - the kind that your blender will fit into - put 1tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp salt. On top of that, 1 raw egg. Pour about 3/4 cup oil on top. Stick your immersion blender in the cup down to the bottom, turn it on, and slowly lift it straight up. By the time you get to the top, you'll have perfect mayo. Just made mine this morning...

can I do this in my food processor?
if yes how?

thanks!

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 3:49 pm
ray family wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:

can I do this in my food processor?
if yes how?

thanks!

I've never done it in the food processor, but assume that it would work with placing all the ingredients in and then slowly drizzling in the oil while it's running - that's the basic method. The beauty of this recipe is not necessarily the taste (although it tastes fine) but the ease of using the immersion blender and it's done in seconds without worrying about drizzling in at the right speed or the mayo cracking.

nylon

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 4:41 pm
You can do it even with a whisk. The richest mayo is all egg yolk, in a food processor use 2 yolks to 1 whole egg. set it to process (or whisk with a mixer) the egg and lemon juice plus a pinch of salt. (Ideally you'd use mustard too, but not for Pesach.) With the mixer/FP running, or while whisking constantly, SLOWLY drizzle in oil, 1/2 - 3/4 cup per egg yolk (2 cups for FP recipe). It will gradually thicken. Once it begins to come together you can drizzle a little faster but if you add it too fast it will split.

Use half olive (make sure it's not too green only because it looks very off putting) and half safflower or grapeseed. You can adjust that depedning on how much you like olive oil.

egam

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 5:08 pm
This one doesn't use row eggs

2 egg yokes
2 tbsp vinegar (I do not use vinegar, use lemon juice instead)
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp water

Warm up all ingredients mixing constantly until thickens. Once done move to ice cold water for few minutes.

Add mixture to food processor, add 1 tsp of salt and about half a cup of oil (200 grams).

Starhavah

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:24 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:

Thank Young Mommy. I used your recipe and it came out perfectly.

Star Havah

bamamama

Post Fri, Apr 06 2012, 2:01 am
Starhavah wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:

Thank Young Mommy. I used your recipe and it came out perfectly.

Star Havah

This is brilliant. I spent and hour today trying to get my mayo to emulsify. It finally did after I watched a few youtube vids to see where I was going wrong Wink Next time I'm doing this. ^^^ FWIW, the basic mayo recipe in Spice and Spirit Pesach = don't bother. Missing the tablespoon of water or lemon at the beginning (it says add lemon later) and it ended up too salty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics