Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Do you bring something when invited out?
Previous  1  2  3

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:41 pm
I know! When I tell people not to bring anything, I really mean it.

ny21

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:47 pm
on pesach I was invited out for a Meal , and I bought a nice matzah plate.

chen

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:08 pm
I'd rejoice in all those bottles of wine and give them for Mishloach Monos or for my children to give when they go to other people's houses. (OK, my children are old enough to trust with a glass bottle.) Yes, I am a confirmed regifter. Sosumi.

That being said, if people ask what can I bring, and I know they will not take "nothing" for an answer, I would suggest dessert, or chocolate, or grape juice, or soft drinks, or a box of an interesting tea, or flowers, or challah, or fresh fruit or even a salad if I trusted their kashrus. All gifts that can be had for a modest sum.

It is proper etiquette to bring a gift, and even when the hostess says do not bring anything, guests assume she's just being polite. If the hostess gives no guidance, then the guest will choose on his own--and a bottle of wine is a classic dinner gift. Since you do not want wine, you should let your guests know this.

maybe you should suggest to someone that they get you a wine rack.

yedidya's mom

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:24 pm
chen, the mishloach manos idea is pretty good. maybe I shouldn't be so quick to give up on the wine Very Happy my dh actually wants to buy a wine rack but my son will just knock the whole thing down.
so you don't think it's rude to actually tell ppl what to bring? I always felt it's not so classy but on the other hand, it may help prevent lots of unwanted gifts

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:27 pm
If someone insists on bringing something and says that they're going to bring something anyway, so I might as well tell the WHAT they should bring, I'll definitely tell them.

chen

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 9:09 pm
yedidya's mom wrote:
so you don't think it's rude to actually tell ppl what to bring?

Not if they ask!

Raisin

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:46 am
put the wine in a box and keep it for pesach.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics