Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
New Square Shaul Spitzer gets 7 years jail!!!!!!!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

CatLady

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:32 am
If the rebbe had the cash to "incentivize" Mr. Rotenberg's asking for leniency for Spitzer, where was all this money when the poor man just wanted to be able to sell his house and move away from said community? It seems to me that making an extremely generous offer on the house would have been a win-win scenario for everyone, from the Rotenberg family on down. Crying Crying

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:35 am
Arcy, we understand that's how it is, but that's not how it should be.

reachout

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:54 am
Yes, the people that are familiar the way NS runs are hurting. Others really needed to pay the price so the people can breath easier in that place. Dunno how much Spitzer sent behind bars will accomplish for the real problems there because he is a pawn in their game and was thrown under the bus. I believe it will do something, but not enough. We shall see.

What Spitzer did was terrible. No one is denying that. However, I have so much rachmonos on him because he acted as a teenager who doesn't think of his consequences especially that his actions emanated from the 'hits' that was going on in that atmosphere. I cannot help thinking of the ones who had a hand in this, what they are thinking and feeling now. In a way, we didn't see a trial which would have enabled us to get more facts and info of what went on.

The money that you are discussing is actually a settlement of the lawsuit that Rottenberg filed against the Rebbe and Spitzer separately for $18m each. He got about $2.3m.

As much as you think that 7 yrs is a light sentence (which technically it is), I feel one yr, or even 6 months is enough to teach this boy a lesson. Mark me on this one, he will NEVER do this again. The fact that a sheltered 18 yr old bochor had to stand before a judge is enough to scare him for life. The ones who must stay behind bars are the ones who are a danger to society.

Its just so sad.

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:58 am
Wow, it's like the bochrim in Japan all over again.

People are still responsible...

And if drug dealing can be theoretically ascribed to ignorance, there is no way attempted murder can be excused away in the same manner. Quite simply, religion aside, "the moral law within me" (Kant) ought to tell me that murdering a family in their beds is wrong.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:03 pm
He "acted as a teenager"? Didn't know better? I have a 13 year old and if he tried to burn a family to death, you can bet I wouldn't expect people to excuse it. Look at your kids, would they do such a thing?

He's an animal and should have been sent away for longer. Those who encouraged such behavior are evil as well, but you can't prosecute them unless they actually do anything. I hope they're being closely watched.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:05 pm
reachout wrote:

As much as you think that 7 yrs is a light sentence (which technically it is), I feel one yr, or even 6 months is enough to teach this boy a lesson. Mark me on this one, he will NEVER do this again. The fact that a sheltered 18 yr old bochor had to stand before a judge is enough to scare him for life. The ones who must stay behind bars are the ones who are a danger to society.

Its just so sad.
You have got to be kidding. Really. Let's let every murderer (and attempted murderer) out of jail after six months. Because, you know, they'll probably never do it again. Freedom for everyone!!

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:07 pm
Clarissa wrote:

He's an animal and should have been sent away for longer. Those who encouraged such behavior are evil as well, but you can't prosecute them unless they actually do anything. I hope they're being closely watched.

Can't you prosecute for incitement?

GetReal

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:13 pm
No one disagrees that there is a bigger picture here and horrible things going on from higher up. But COME ON! To say that this is an innocent bachur being brainwashed is NUTS. A five year old understands that you don't burn down a house and kill a sleeping family. At 18 he is an adult. Tell me he is brainwashed to hate the family, maybe to throw things or spraypaint, and that is bad enough. but to set fire to a house with people inside? He is a danger to society and needs major help.

GetReal

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:16 pm
Sheltered bachurim don't try to set fires. They sit in yeshiva and learn. Sorry. This kid has issues and I hope he is sent for help before he is let loose on the streets again. What if he decides that I or my neighbor (G-d forbid) are against his Rebbe?

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:20 pm
From everything I am reading, the NS community sounds like a dangerous cult.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:28 pm
DrMom wrote:
From everything I am reading, the NS community sounds like a dangerous cult.

If you only know about it from the news, you're lucky. You'd be horrified to see them up close.

black sheep

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:30 pm
in order to illustrate a point here, I have to use an example. I will use the example of intimacy. intimacy can be the most beautiful, spiritual, uplifting experience. however, used incorrectly, it can become the most ugly, destructive force. I don't think I need to explain more than that on this board of mature adult women, but just to drive the point home, when a married woman sleeps with a man other than her husband, or a married man goes to various women and pays them for their services, this beautiful act has become defiled and disgusting, as they are using it incorrectly.

this is how I feel about rachmanus. rachmanus is a most beautiful middah. it is one of the middos that separates the jews from the other nations. however, used incorrectly, rachmanus can become the most disgusting and destructive thing on earth. that is what I'm feeling reading some of these posts. misplaced rachmanus isn't actually rachmanus at all; it is cruelty.

I still shudder when I remember how I felt last may, reading about a jewish boy who tried to murder another jewish family in their sleep. I couldn't sleep for days, haunted by thoughts of what could have happened, and how a jewish community and a jewish boy could have become murderers. and now again I am sickened by other jews trying to defend his actions.

Last edited by black sheep on Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sudy

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:31 pm
CatLady wrote:
If the rebbe had the cash to "incentivize" Mr. Rotenberg's asking for leniency for Spitzer, where was all this money when the poor man just wanted to be able to sell his house and move away from said community? It seems to me that making an extremely generous offer on the house would have been a win-win scenario for everyone, from the Rotenberg family on down. Crying Crying

That's just the thing. This was their (NS policy makers) way of retribution for davening elsewhere. You go against the Rebbe, we'll make your life miserable, and we won't let you sell your home.

sunlight

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:41 pm
BTW, I heard that the rebbe gave a shiur the next day to all the bachurim that he was extemely upset about this...

They may be extreme but I don't think they say to murder people that don't follow what they say. They may not praise it but encouraging murder?!

I think the boy has major, major anger and impulsive issues that are not under control...

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:44 pm
sunlight wrote:
BTW, I heard that the rebbe gave a shiur the next day to all the bachurim that he was extemely upset about this...

They may be extreme but I don't think they say to murder people that don't follow what they say. They may not praise it but encouraging murder?!

I think the boy has major, major anger and impulsive issues that are not under control...

Oh, yes, of course he did. His 'PR' people told him to, because he looked too guilty not saying anything at all. He is, after all, the mob boss of the town.

sunlight

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:47 pm
So tell me, who runs the place, him or his PR's?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:52 pm
sunlight wrote:
So tell me, who runs the place, him or his PR's?

Himself along with a few goons that keep everyone in line and 'take care' of the dissidents.

sunlight

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 12:59 pm
Sorry don't yet know how to quote you but who are his PR's? I really don't think he encourages murder!!

MrsDash

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 1:00 pm
Are we still talking about the US in the 21st century? Al Capone would be very proud.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 1:03 pm
sunlight wrote:
Sorry don't yet know how to quote you but who are his PR's? I really don't think he encourages murder!!

I dont know them. I'm sure my husband does, though. I dont think they called this attempted murder, I think in their twisted minds this was going to be a 'wake-up call' to a person who dares 'not listen' to a rebbe. It's hard to explain the mindset of the people living there, but to them, this makes perfect sense.

If anyone is curious where I get my info from, my husband grew up there.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics