Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Are band falls considered more OK than 20 years ago?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:01 am
When I got married 20ish years ago, I learned that band falls were not so mikubal. I know not everyone holds of R Falk, and I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but according to his sefer they are not OK. Has that changed? I know there were always those who wore them, and that is totally OK!!! Not bashing anyone, but wondering for those of us who back then would not have.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:05 am
I got married about 20 years ago also and I never heard such a concept. And I'm pretty yeshivish and right wing. As a matter of fact, everyone I knew got a band fall at that time and I don't see them as much now as I did then.
Curious why it would be not mekubal. What was the reasoning? Assuming all your hair is covered obviously.
I even read his whole book and I don't even remember this as being as issue.

Bethany85

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:07 am
amother OP wrote:
When I got married 20ish years ago, I learned that band falls were not so mikubal. I know not everyone holds of R Falk, and I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, but according to his sefer they are not OK. Has that changed? I know there were always those who wore them, and that is totally OK!!! Not bashing anyone, but wondering for those of us who back then would not have.

Times change, styles change. A lot of what is considered “ok” is based on what is considered normal and accepted. Since now it’s a normal style even among “frummer” crowds now, I’d think the standard is changed and what was 20 years ago is kind of irrelevant.

kneidelmeidel

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:08 am
Just a reminder, R’ Falks book is not Halacha.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:17 am
amother OP wrote:

I don't think anyone who follows R Falk would wear a band fall.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:32 am
I've been wondering the same thing... I think they are still considered less "bas melechdic" than a full sheitel (assuming the sheitel is tzniusdig) but more accepted than it used to be and not just worn by modern orthodox. but still I haven't seen very yeshivish wear and can't imagine a rebbetzin wearing one

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:36 am
In the same boat. Did not get a fall for tznius reasons when I got married around 11 years ago. I’ve seen a lot more young yeshivish wearing lately and I would love to wear one. Wondering if it’s hashkafically more ok now since it’s more prevalent.

dena613

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:37 am
I think it's definitely more mekubal.
Ask your LOR

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:

Literally the only place that follows Rav Falk is Gateshead. Everyone else needs to look around their own neighborhood to see what is considered a refined style.

Because thats the only problem w a band fall - does it look refined.

As long as you're covering everything. if you're pushing it back or pulling out hair thats an entirely different conversation.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:21 am
Never thought I would wear one when I was single, but 15 years after high school, I wear one all summer. I can't be a good mother with sweaty hair in my face. Wearing a snood when I'm out isn't an option so a fall is my go to. Many friends wear one too. Or with hat in winter. Was definitely only more "modern" people who I knew wearing one when I was young.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:48 am
Can someone explain what is modern about a band fall. I'm so confused because like I said when I got married 20 years ago basically everyone I know got one. Right wing, brooklyn. Not ultra yeshivish but I know yeshivish people who got one too.
And I personally don't find the look unrefined at all. I'm trying to figure out what about it is not refined. It seems very aidel to me. TBh I think it's more gentle looking than the bangs in the face/eyes style (Which was the sheitel style that a lot of girls got at my time).

And is there a difference for a single girl to wear one? Like, why just as a sheitel is it wrong but not for girls?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:55 am
Its based on what the seminaries get into. 15 years ago we were told pony wigs are not acceptable . The didn't talk about falls cuz ponys were the rage at the time. Now I'm sure they are talking about lace and will be happy if ladies wear skin top ponys . These are all about sensitivity and any lady who is extra careful with things should be gebentsed.

cheeesecake

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:03 pm
[align=justify]from what I remember when he taught me in seminary thereason he was against falls was because people would push the hairband back and show there hair , I feel like now I see much more yeshivish people are wearing them without showing any hair I wondering he would still think it's a problem

realsilver

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Can someone explain what is modern about a band fall. I'm so confused because like I said when I got married 20 years ago basically everyone I know got one. Right wing, brooklyn. Not ultra yeshivish but I know yeshivish people who got one too.
And I personally don't find the look unrefined at all. I'm trying to figure out what about it is not refined. It seems very aidel to me. TBh I think it's more gentle looking than the bangs in the face/eyes style (Which was the sheitel style that a lot of girls got at my time).

And is there a difference for a single girl to wear one? Like, why just as a sheitel is it wrong but not for girls?

I think because it masks the part that shows your hair is covered. For those that hold it has to be obvious, its a problem

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:06 pm
realsilver wrote:
I think because it masks the part that shows your hair is covered. For those that hold it has to be obvious, its a problem

How is that different than a wig with bangs? Or baby hairs?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:08 pm
DH didn't want me to get, so I didn't. He had understood that the band slides back and hair shows.
I just got a bandfall this year (after 16 years). I prefer scarves and he prefers I wear a wig daily. I am more comfortable, and he is happier. I am very careful about my hairline.
I try to use wider bands.

realsilver

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
How is that different than a wig with bangs? Or baby hairs?

not all questions have answers Laugh
but that's the reason given

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:18 pm
Haven't seen a single band fall which slided back and showed the hair/hairline on any woman.
I see a lot of tichels nowadays on young women Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:21 pm
kneidelmeidel wrote:
Just a reminder, R’ Falks book is not Halacha.

So what is it?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:22 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Haven't seen a single band fall which slided back and showed the hair/hairline on any woman.
I see a lot of tichels nowadays on young women Smile

I have
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels