Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Strange bowel movements,- advice please

boysrus

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:23 pm
Hi, my toddler is having some unusual bowel movements which are worrying me. Sorry if TMI...
First of all over Pesach he had very loose nasty stools bec of antiobiotics he was on I think.
This week, now that Pesach is over and medication is finished, his bowel movements are a very strange color and consistency, they are black and rather sticky. Does this sound indicative of a medical issue, does anyone know? Also, this evening (and last night) he keeps waking up crying or crying in his sleep, and I am wondering if he has pain in his stomach. It is definitely not the pain that he gets with ear infections - I know that bec when he has ear infections he screams and screams. Btw, he is still being nursed if that makes a difference, my diet etc, etc.
Any ideas? Is this something I should consult a doctor about?
TIA for your responses.

paprika

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:40 pm
Black stool could be from Pepto Bismol. Since your saying about a hurting stomach, are you giving that to him?

boysrus

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:45 pm
no I have given him nothing. he has also been off his food a bit.

paprika

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:52 pm
Check the medication that you gave him if one of the side effects is black stool. If it's not then I would definitely talk to the dr. about it, but it's probably got to do with something that he ate.

boysrus

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:54 pm
I am trying to think of what he has eaten that has been unusual..., he has been off medication for about a week now. I think he has had a bit of junk that he doesnt usuallly get, one of his big brothers fed him choc covered wafers in my absence yesterday I later discovered.
I guess I should call the doc in the morn ing.
thanks for responding paprika!

paprika

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:59 pm
Smile

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:20 am
I think it can take even 2 weeks to get over having antibiotics but I don't know about it's affect on stools.
if he is hurting he may be still reacting to the pesach food. One of my kids used to react to Pesach after it was over.

spring13

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:30 am
Sometimes a probiotic supplement (or some fortified yogurt) can help with post-antibiotic stomach issues. There's a lot of normal safe bacteria in the stomach that help with digestion, but antibiotics often take the good bugs out with the bad - and that can lead to things like upset stomach, yeast infections, and so on. You can get baby-safe powder (you sprinkle it on food or in a drink) at health food stores and even some regular drug stores. Greek yogurt has (afaik) more natural probiotics than regular, although many brands now add extra anyway. That's easy enough to find, if he normally likes yogurt.

If he's been acting uncomfy for a while, call the doctor.

boysrus

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:32 am
good ideas. Thumbs Up
I think I will try a probiotic. I have florastor kids, is that waht you mean spring?

paprika

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:10 pm
How's your son doing? Would you let us know what helped?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics