Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upshernish
1  2  Next

CS

Post Sun, Sep 19 2004, 12:26 am
I'm hoping to do my son's upshernish this November and I was wondering if anyone has any creative/easy ideas for a Sunday afternoon party. It will be in our house.

proudmom

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 2:23 pm
who are you making it for? your sons class? or adults

CS

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 3:01 pm
I'm making it for both - mostly adults though.

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 4:28 pm
I would not say this is creative but I did it with all my sons. Make Tzizit loot bags and choclate Torah lollipops if you feel you want to go further make an alef-bet placemat with opshernish boys picture I did it on the computer printed in color and then laminated it and gave out one to every family that came!. Keep in mind he will be turning 3 so even if you invited adults it will be his party.Remember if the kids are happy parents will be too.

If you think my hands are full b"h...You should only see my heart!

CS

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 5:08 pm
you are amazing - explain the aleph bais placemat to me again. How do you have the time and energy to do such intricate things? How do you make Torah lollipops.

I need to make the upshernish in the early evening,so I guess I need to serve food - any ideas? we expect around a 100 people to walk through. thanks for the assistance

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 6:42 pm
Hi I am not amazing wish I were though! but enjoy them being 3 just once b"h! Listen you go to any kosher judaica store and ask for Plastic lollipop molds in the shape of a sefer Torah. I got my in weinstiens in crown Hieghts but I have a friend who got some in Monsey even if you don't live in those places you can always have it sent to you! You see that is all it is melted with choc chips and peanut butter pour into a mold refrigerate and wrap or give out following day. Note You can melt just choc chips and then it will not melt as quickly.
The placemat even though I love to draw I have no time or my house would go to putz so I do the whole alefbet with my hebrew font on the computer making it colorfull , scan a cutsy pic of your child add it to the placemat I did mine in the top corner and then print however many you want. laminate it and voila your kid will think you'r the greatest ...well they will anyway. Remember you can do same idea without computer But takes longer.

'If you think my hands are full b"h ... You should only see my heart!'

micki

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 7:07 pm
we just had an upshernish- we did it outside in our yard- I worked hard a whole summer to make it beautiful, and then we had primary colors, with alef bais foam puzzle? I made it into blocks, stuffed it with tissue paper and had helium balloons as centerpieces.
I had a huge menu of easy salads, if you want I can send you a list, when is the upshern?

my friend did a whole theme of trees with alef bais hanging from them and tzitzis cake invites etc...

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 11:14 pm
By the way forgot to mention add lollipop sticks before you freeze the molds and since all mine where winter babies we did do indoors however do buy those little real velvet covered sefer torah they are quite reasonable maybe ask family to chip in but your boy will be so happy to hold a real torah. For menu I also did tons of salads and mezonos since it was always after suppertime.

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 11:12 pm
A very cute and easy centerpiece- make Rice Crispy Treats in the shape of a Yarmulka, decorate with frosting. For an extra fancy one, cover with melted chocolate!

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 2:20 pm
Quote:
make Rice Crispy Treats in the shape of a Yarmulka

my friend did this in the shape of a pair of tzitzis- much easier because ts rectangular.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 2:07 pm
Upshernish is not a chassidish custom only is it ? Confused

IndyMom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 4:30 pm
I think that sfardim also do upsherins. Not sure though.

My son just had his Upsherin this past Sunday. We just made a cake adn had a rebbe come over adn do aleph bais with him. He got his new aleph beis yarmulke and his tzitzis and he had a blast. I am not so good at making beautiful cakes or fancy crafts - but it didnt matter, he really had a great time and of course having short hair was the icing on it all. Now he doesnt have to wait for a ponytail before he gets his oatmeal. (his two year old brother still has to wait ) Smile

IndyMom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 4:31 pm
Anyone else cry at their son's upsherin? I was weeping in bed that night. just wondering if that's common or just my pregnancy hormones.

sarahd

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 5:39 pm
Not surprising that you cried. Your little baby has taken a giant step into maturity. Not a baby any longer, he's now a boy. Enough to make a mommy weepy.

Chanie

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 9:29 pm
freilich wrote:
Upshernish is not a chassidish custom only is it ? Confused

I live around the corner from JPPS, which is a Jewish school but definitely not very religious. The other day I was outside with my son and one of the mothers... in tight jeans with 3 boys complimented my sons hair and said how she used to love her sons hair before upshern... and she wasn't religious.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 9:35 pm
freilich its a minhag Yisroel

Rivk

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 9:47 pm
Well, not everybody has this minhag. We don't (and I consider myself pretty frum Very Happy ) and I know that Yekkes don't either. I think it has chassidishe roots and many yeshivishe people took it on too.

stem

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:15 pm
This minhag started out as only Chasidish and became more of a yeshivish "thing to do". We have no chasidish blood in our family, and are as Frum as any of you. My son just turned one and I already trimmed him hair a little! shock

timeout

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 9:08 pm
My husband decided we had to make a huge upsherin with a sit down catered Fleishig meal pictures the works it was beautiful we took my son to cheder wrapped in a Tallis and the Rebbe wa so nice (Skvere), but I did think it was a bit much if my in-laws hadn't said this was what is done I would have put my foot down. Very Happy

raizy

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 10:22 pm
well I have an almost 3 yrs bc of the seferah he will go to chedder with his hair and yamakah and tzizis.. did this happen to any of u?

also we make a big thing about it a kiddush on shabbos for all my relatives. that around 27 pple... help where on earth should I place them all. in my house...

last time around it was less pple....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics