Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Dentist?

superjew

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 3:56 pm
Have you taken your 2-3 yr old to the dentist? How did they react? What did the dentist do?

I took my 2.4 yr old because I noticed some plaque on his teeth and wanted to get it checked/cleaned. Of course he ended up screaming/kicking in the chair so the dentist was only able to get a quick check. He said his teeth look good but we should come back when he's older (more cooperative) for a cleaning. So no luck!

I'm totally just curious about other peoples experiences. Please share!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 4:01 pm
First of all, you need a pediatric dentist. 2ndly, you waited kind of long for a first visit. No wonder he acted out.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 4:03 pm
You need to get someone who is really skilled at keeping the kids down while they check - I think they use something to strap them in. I have found that some pediatric dentists to be much better than others, so ask around for a good recommendation.

rachel6543

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 4:12 pm
Yes, I've taken my todller to the dentist. I don't just a pediatric dentist, just my regular family dentist. Here's my experience so far:

I first took my son when he was 2 years old (I think 2.5 years old if I remember quickly). For the first visit the dentist just "counted" and checked his teeth. My son wasn't ready to have his teeth cleaned. Before his first visit we got him prepared by talking about going to to the dentist, how the dentist is going to check his teeth and count them. We talked about this for maybe 6 weeks. When it came to the actual check-up my son was a little scared, but overall my son was really good and did a good job. It really helped that we had talked about it a lot. Also, we used positive reinforcement and told him if he did a good job he would get a little prize afterwards (a 99 cent toy car), so that made it more exciting for him knowing he would get a little prize afterwards.

My son went for his 2nd visit a year later when he was about 3.5 years old. This time they were actually able to clean his teeth. For 2 months before the visit we talked about what the dentist was going to do, so he was completely prepared and he wasn't nervous. Plus, the dentist has a "prize treasure chest" where he can pick out a sticker or small toy and that really made my son excited too.

I've just scheduled my son's next appt for early summer. My son is now 4. We're doing the same thing as before. We talk about how the dentist is going to "count" and clean his teeth. My son is now excited to go and keeps asking for me to make the appt earlier.

superjew

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 4:48 pm
Hmm, I did prepare my son for a few weeks and he even saw me get checked (only for the non 'ow' parts) and he seemed curious and calm about it, until the dentist touched his face. Even with promises to the toy store after. He did not want to hear it! I do agree that maybe I need a better pediatric dentist (the one I went to is pediatric & adult, but probably not the best option for a 2 yr old)
So since I do want to get him properly checked any good pediatric recommendations?
Want someone that would be good with talking to ds , rather than strapping him down.

sky

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:01 pm
I take my kids at 3.
We discuss it and build it up a lot before hand so they know exactly what to expect.
My dentist lets them sit on my lap for the first visit. He said its more important for them to see the dentist as the good guy then to get a perfect check-up.

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:06 pm
I know this sounds awful, but I didn't bring my daughter to the dentist until she was almost 5. She had no cavities Smile (Luckily she has her fathers genes, and we've been brushing, and flossing her teeth every day from the moment her teeth started to come in.) I've been reading her books, and showing her clips on youtube of dentist visits, and stories. She was very excited about her first appointment, and did very well during the exam, x-rays, and cleaning. The dentist told us children should visit the dentist the moment they start getting teeth. This is before they take x-rays or do any cleanings. It gives the dentists an idea of the child's oral health, and it prepares the child for when they eventually get a thorough check up. If too much time has passed, do what I did, and get your child excited about the visit by reading to them, and explaining what a dentists is, and what they do. It did wonders for my daughter. Also, as others have said, bring your child to a pediatric dentist. They deal with children all the time, and they will be a lot more patient with them than a regular dentist.

mydear

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:21 pm
I took my first when he was 2.5 since he fell and one tooth turned color. The dentist showed him his tools, took him up and down on the chair and showed him the light. Then he checked him. At the end he got to choose from a box of prizes (little things that cost practically nothing). Ever since then, even when he had cavities, the first question he always asked when finishing was when can he come back.
I took my other 2 kids after that at the same age and they reacted the same way. The dentist has such a wonderful way with kids. When my daughter got a few years older and had some really deep cavities I had no trouble taking her since she had such positive experiences when she was younger.

superjew

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:33 pm
Where is that dentist?

mydear

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:43 pm
In Yerushalayim. He's originally South African

superjew

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:45 pm
mydear wrote:

Lol sounds great but I'm in Brooklyn. Anyone with other really kid friendly/patient pediatric dentist?

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:49 pm
They have those dentists in the states too. Pediatric dentists are usually amazing, and great with kids. The one we go to is very nice. After a cleaning, the kids get a "goody" bag to take home that contains a new tooth brush, tooth paste, and a floss packet. They also get to pick out a prize after each appointment. If possible, try for a pediatric dentist. Regular dentists may not have the personality or sensitivities children need in these situations.

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:55 pm
superjew wrote:
mydear wrote:

Lol sounds great but I'm in Brooklyn. Anyone with other really kid friendly/patient pediatric dentist?

When my sister lived in Brooklyn, the entire family went to a dentist in BP. She continued going to him even after moving to Lakewood. They still see him today, 15+ years later. I can ask her for his name if you'd like.

eschaya

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:05 pm
Our pediatric dentist has a Disney film playing round the clock exactly at the kids eye level, and for kids like mine who don't watch TV or movies, it is enrapturing. Of course it helped that he is friendly and gives out large gift bags at the end.
Unfortunately, my kids have inherited DH's teeth, so we've required some filling work. Had some trouble with one child, but the dentist handled it well (we came back on a "better" day) and he uses laughing gas.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:10 am
My dd hates the dentist, and there is only one dentist in the whole area accepting children. It's really hard...

superjew

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 4:00 pm
Anyone hear of Dr Robert Weiss? I believe he has an office on 50 st and another on FB on E14. Happy there?

chanahlady

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 4:31 pm
The New York Times did a story recently on the rise in toddlers getting general anesthesia for treatment of multiple cavities because they're not brushing their baby teeth, and because they resist cleanings and parents don't take them to the dentist by age 1, which apparently is the time to start. This happened to my sister's kids -- my nephew had tons and tons of fillings in his baby teeth by the time he was five.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03.....d=all

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 7:09 pm
Could be. DS needed a lot of dental work at that age. We spend every Sunday, all summer, at the dentist.

DD is a dental assistnt now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics